2022-23 Detroit Tigers Offseason Thread

chasfh

1 hour ago, casimir said:

Given his age and history and given the amount of waiver wire churn that Harris has created, I’m not sure how Cisnero warrants a guaranteed roster spot.  It’s baffling, especially considering Harris’ stated desire to dominate the strike zone, which Cisnero’s walk rates kind of don’t line up with.

I think we're overthinking it.  He's a proven major league pitcher who has had previous success.  Not great, but we need innings, especially after losing four members from last year's pen. He's not blocking anyone--If he doesn't pitch well, cut him.  I have the exact same attitude toward Schoop.

47 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

I think we're overthinking it.  He's a proven major league pitcher who has had previous success.  Not great, but we need innings, especially after losing four members from last year's pen. He's not blocking anyone--If he doesn't pitch well, cut him.  I have the exact same attitude toward Schoop.

Not sure what people were expecting after they dealt Soto and Jimenez. There are too many spots in a modern BP to try to roll them all over at the same time. 

1 hour ago, oblong said:

In terms of a franchise icon, Yzerman tops Lidstrom for sure.  But as for a player…. Nick is second only to Gordie.  Seven Norris trophies. Yzerman has said that himself.  

Yzerman is Canadian...so of course he's going to be polite and defer to Nik

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

He’s had proven lack of success, too.  Hey, if he were on the other side of 30, it’s more understandable to me to keep him.

Why the outrage over Cisnero after he agrees to his deal and not when he was offered arbitration? The deal isn't exorbitant at all, and roughly in line with what I would expect him to get in arb. Once he was tendered in November, it's not like they can just back out.

Edited by Edman85

4 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

Why the outrage over Cisnero after he agrees to his deal and not when he was offered arbitration? The deal isn't exorbitant at all, and roughly in line with what I would expect him to get in arb. Once he was tendered in November, it's not like they can just back out.

I was busy then.  Just catching up now.

On 10/23/2022 at 9:11 AM, casimir said:

I suspect in order to get down from 49 to the maximum of 40 for the time being, the following transactions will occur:

image.png.6cefb2461f621b676da9b91cb0129ef8.png

Further, I think there are 10 players that could be added to that pile, although I think their future is a bit more questionable for one reason or another.

image.png.e72942c76e437ff49f28a1e7a6154712.png

That leaves the following list of pitchers and position players:

image.png.a27733f5c2411f66b7e491a25c453e63.png

image.png.d4ba213f8dff80597ce8d1344c57beeb.png

For the record, I advised cutting Cisnero in October.  Unfortunately, Harris missed my post.

22 minutes ago, casimir said:

For the record, I advised cutting Cisnero in October.  Unfortunately, Harris missed my post.

He was atop my list too, tbh. I don't mind hanging on to him. It's not like a Miggy Situation where you are stuck with him and can't cut him if he struggles.

Edited by Edman85

9 hours ago, chasfh said:

That said, if Cisnero shows clearly sub-replacement level early on, I hope they yank him right away before they waste too many innings on him, because innings are a precious commodity. I hope they don’t keep running him out there past his sell-by date hoping to get their money’s worth in a way they wouldn’t with a guy on minimum.

Based on what we have seen this off-season, it's fair to expect Harris to be a little more quicker with the hook than the former GM

1 hour ago, Edman85 said:

I, for one, am not outraged.  I don't really care about Cisnero one way or the other.  I am just a little surprised he survived the off-season purge.  

50 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

Did that include losing Chafin, Jimenez and Soto, too?

Oh, I wanted Soto gone, too.  I see no use for pitchers that walk as many batters as he and Cisnero do.  Maybe I’m wrong, but I prefer Tiger pitchers get outs rather than allow free passes.

33 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

If Cisnero was a free agent from another team, he’s the kind of pitcher I would expect to see Harris take a risk on. Where was the outrage when we signed Shreve Chasen to a $1.25M contract?

I’m still hungover from trading Soto away.

1 minute ago, casimir said:

Oh, I wanted Soto gone, too.  I see no use for pitchers that walk as many batters as he and Cisnero do.  Maybe I’m wrong, but I prefer Tiger pitchers get outs rather than allow free passes.

Don’t disagree, but it’s a lot easier to get rid of shitty guys than it is to find 3-4 upgrades.

26 minutes ago, casimir said:

Based primarily on this, I don't get why we didn't made a push to get Chafin back here instead of Cisnero.

Oh... Cisnero cost $2 mill and Chafin is going to cost what? $18-27 mill on a 2/3 year year contract? So there's that...

But...

Chafin is actually good, limits walks, is LH'ed, fits Harris's specifically stated player profile, and would still be a trade candidate/ OR a BP leader for the team, one way or the other.

Just a personal preference and I don't care about the money or the years...

But...

I don't really care based on where the team is this year (trying to fix all its broken players) so whatever. But, my personal preference still would have been Chafin... just sayin'.

1 minute ago, 1984Echoes said:

Based primarily on this, I don't get why we didn't made a push to get Chafin back here instead of Cisnero.

Oh... Cisnero cost $2 mill and Chafin is going to cost what? $18-27 mill on a 2/3 year year contract? So there's that...

But...

Chafin is actually good, limits walks, is LH'ed, fits Harris's specifically stated player profile, and would still be a trade candidate/ OR a BP leader for the team, one way or the other.

Just a personal preference and I don't care about the money or the years...

But...

I don't really care based on where the team is this year (trying to fix all its broken players) so whatever. But, my personal preference still would have been Chafin... just sayin'.

This assumes he wanted to come back.  Which I doubt, but I suppose it is still possible until he signs elsewhere.

Obviously we don't know exactly what is on his mind...

But, I'm just guessing here... the Tigers aren't in any of those contract discussions with his agent as they are not going to go there (age/ years/ cost)... again, I'm just guessing... but I don't think it's an issue of whether he is open to coming back to Detroit or not...

9 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

Obviously we don't know exactly what is on his mind...

But, I'm just guessing here... the Tigers aren't in any of those contract discussions with his agent as they are not going to go there (age/ years/ cost)... again, I'm just guessing... but I don't think it's an issue of whether he is open to coming back to Detroit or not...

Twins fans probably didn’t think Correa was coming back, either.  “So, you’re saying there’s a chance?”

2 minutes ago, Jim Cowan said:

We don't know anything at all about whether or not Harris is trying to sign Chafin.

Exactly.  Without anything reported, the assumption is that Harris is doing nothing.  He’s close to the vest and the Tigers will likely be absent from MLB Trade Rumors coverage, so I suspect he will not be given the benefit of the doubt until the team starts winning.  I would expect the casual fan to be suspect, but surprised how much negativity he’s already come under here.

• Thanks 1