2022-23 Detroit Tigers Offseason Thread

chasfh

2 hours ago, casimir said:

Cow tippin’ party?

Maybe but more my impression that Chaffin will just keep on truckin and pitch where he wants. Just doesn’t seem like a troubled or over serious dude. 

The odds are against us but I wouldn’t be shocked to see him back in Detroit anchoring the pen similar to the Boyd signing 

2 hours ago, mtutiger said:

I hate to go nut-picking and all, but did a double take with this one.

You would think that there was a reason Vierling was on the Phillies WS Roster, while Victor couldn't get more than a minor league deal this offseason.

Who is "Calico Joe" and why should we care what he has to say about the Matt Vierling versus Victor Reyes?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Longgone said:

Vierling's walk rate is 6%, nothing to brag about, and to be clearly better than Reyes, he's going to have to make some adjustments in his swing, plate discipline and reads and routes. We'll see.

Vireling had something closer to an 8% walk rate until September, after which he had an inexplicable 2 walks in 89 plate trips, so I'm guessing it's an outlier, and perhaps a response to the Phillies possibly asking him to put more balls in play (which if true did result in a higher SLG). He also had a 10%+ walk rate in AAA. I think he'll probably be 10%+ in Detroit after the Tigers work with him a bit.

Just now, mtutiger said:

As I stated, I nutpicked a dumb opinion from Tigers twitter lol. I dont care that much, it just caused a double take on my part

I hear ya, but that's really a serious question: who is this guy and why does he have so many followers who care about his opinions about the Tigers?

1 hour ago, Tiger337 said:

I truly do not get the continued angst over Victor Reyes.  

No doubt, for as much as you saw complaints about Reyes or Castro^2 or Soto in season, there's like a Stockholm Syndrome type thing that some of the fanbase appears to have toward them now that they are gone. The devil you know vs the ones you don't maybe? I dont get it

As far as the Vierling comparison goes, again, setting aside even just metrics, he was good enough to be on the playoff roster for the Phillies while Reyes, this offseason, couldn't land more than a minor league deal and ST invite. 

The assessment from the league couldn't be any clearer on this question. 

Edited by mtutiger

29 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Vireling had something closer to an 8% walk rate until September, after which he had an inexplicable 2 walks in 89 plate trips, so I'm guessing it's an outlier, and perhaps a response to the Phillies possibly asking him to put more balls in play (which if true did result in a higher SLG). He also had a 10%+ walk rate in AAA. I think he'll probably be 10%+ in Detroit after the Tigers work with him a bit.

Hopefully, and hopefully he can drive more balls in the air, especially to the pull side, and hopefully he can improve his jumps. We shall see.

2 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

I truly do not get the continued angst over Victor Reyes.  

IDK, maybe because you looked at the frame and the decent speed it was hard not to hope we'd get more out of it than we ever did. And to give Victor his due, he did what he asked, never made a fuss and he did generally know the right play  - he didn't make a lot of mistakes.

1 minute ago, gehringer_2 said:

IDK, maybe because you looked at the frame and the decent speed it was hard not to hope we'd get more out of it than we ever did. And to give Victor his due, he did what he asked, never made a fuss and he did generally know the right play  - he didn't make a lot of mistakes.

I don’t know—I recall a couple of plays where he almost killed his fellow outfielders.

For a Rule 5 guy, he was fine.  A guy you want at AAA in case of an injury on the big squad.

1 minute ago, gehringer_2 said:

There are worse players than Reyes, but I don't think I've ever seen so much angst over the release of a 4th outfielder on a bad team.  

1 minute ago, Tenacious D said:

For a Rule 5 guy, he was fine.  A guy you want at AAA in case of an injury on the big squad.

Yes, he is a good depth player who gets shuttled between the majors and minors.  Fortunately for him, he found a team that was able to give him a slightly bigger role.  

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

I hear ya, but that's really a serious question: who is this guy and why does he have so many followers who care about his opinions about the Tigers?

He has a lot of followers because he has MLB at the end of his name.  I don't follow him, but he has showed up on my timeline a lot and I believe he is a Tigers fan.  There is probably a reason I have never followed him, but I don't remember what it is.  Calico Joe is also a character in what was probably John Grisham's worst book.    

Edited by Tiger337

22 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

He has a lot of followers because he has MLB at the end of his name.  I don't follow him, but he has showed up on my timeline a lot and I believe he is a Tigers fan.  There is probably a reason I have never followed him, but I don't remember what it is.  Calico Joe is also a character in what was probably John Grisham's worst book.    

Can we go back to talking about Jose Cisnero(s) instead?

3 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

I truly do not get the continued angst over Victor Reyes.  He had plenty of opportunities to show what he can do.  He's a backup outfielder with a .294 OBP and no plus skills.  Vierling might not end up being better, but his floor seems to be Reyes.  Let's see if he can do better.  

We’re not allowed to hope for better than we’ve got.