2022-23 Detroit Tigers Offseason Thread

chasfh

The San Diego Padres are such an interesting franchise. Here they are spending like crazy to put expensive stars and prospects on the field, yet their entire base of support is basically a single county. Unlike any other team (except probably the White Sox), the Padres don’t have much of a fan footprint beyond their immediate trading radius. San Diego is not even a particularly affluent metro area, ranking about 17th among those in the US that have teams. But if 2022 attendance is any indication, it’s working so far. I still believe were it not for league-wide revenue sharing making up such a high share of team receipts, though, they couldn’t get very far with this strategy.

1 hour ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Are the Tigers still looking?  

Other than another starting pitcher (because you can never have enough),  what would they be looking for? 

LHR - Chafin would be their 2nd best, or best, reliever if they signed him; probably won't happen

another LH infielder would be nice

28 minutes ago, Shinzaki said:

Per McCosky on Twitter...Jack Morris will not be part of the 2023 broadcast crew...the infinitely more likeable Craig Monroe will have a larger role

Too cheap to go after Alex Avila (maybe he doesn't want it) or Cameron Maybin (who was recently cut by YES). I have no clue how he sounds but he can't be as annoying as Craig. Then again it's the Illitch News Network 

26 minutes ago, Shinzaki said:

Craig tries too hard to be "big"....if he toned the schtick down 18.6% he'd be far more effective and much less annoying

Either way...he's still more likeable than Morris..

Craig actually does the analysis side of his job well, he just comes across as too much of a homer much of the time for my taste.

If he's picking up Jack's workload, I consider that a win overall, although better options may exist outside the org.

15 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Craig actually does the analysis side of his job well, he just comes across as too much of a homer much of the time for my taste.

If he's picking up Jack's workload, I consider that a win overall, although better options may exist outside the org.

TBH most of the time when I do have the TV a broadcast on it's mostly white noise. If T-Mobile gives me the same deal this upcoming season, I'll continue with the radio overlay. 

Honestly, I don't think having Craig Monroe in place of Jack Morris is any kind of upgrade. He may be a nicer guy than Morris and also tick certain boxes, but his style is super off-putting to me.

It's not just the homerism which, yes, is bad. But even worse to me is his whole I'm-still-in-the-game schtick: referring to The Guys by their cutesy-poo clubhouse nicknames; acting as a cheerleader and an apologist for The Guys; leaning hard on jock-talk crutches; and, of course, his general lack of actual insight for which he's apparently relying on his memory of what it was like when he was a player on the inside, rather than studying up on the game as an informed outsider.

In other words, he comes off like a YouTube or TikTok amateur, not as a broadcast professional.

Consequently, that might be just the kind of thing that appeals to Millennials and Zoomers. Can't wait until he talks about The Guys' social media feeds and red carpet walks.

• Like 1

What I really would want in a broadcast team is two people talking baseball. I don't want over the top analysis or jock speak. Give me someone who can give me insight in a normal way. Treat the broadcast as if you're talking to another adult. And no over the top gushing.

That may be the thing that I enjoyed the few times I've listened to Dickerson and Avila last season, it was two guys just talking baseball between the PBP. You don't need all the ball and strike stuff on TV. Give me the facts and a little insight.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Edman85 said:

There's a name on Table 2 of this Tweet who hasn't been affiliated with the Tigers for 13 years now, does some broadcasting for TBS and may want to add some game calling to his mantle (even on a part time basis).

Curt Granderson?

Oh he would be AWESOME!!! (yes, all caps and exclamations!!!)... but isn't he from Georgia? How are we going to pull him away from Atlanta?