2022-23 Detroit Tigers Offseason Thread

chasfh

13 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

Granderson is a Chicago kid. He's been doing pre and post game stuff on the TNT broadcasts.

I think he'd be good in someone's booth if that's what he wants. 

Oh Chicago, that's right. I don't know why I had Georgia on my mind... getting confused between Curt and Maybin? Been thinking of Ray Charles recently...? Something...

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

Honestly, I don't think having Craig Monroe in place of Jack Morris is any kind of upgrade. He may be a nicer guy than Morris and also tick certain boxes, but his style is super off-putting to me.

It's not just the homerism which, yes, is bad. But even worse to me is his whole I'm-still-in-the-game schtick: referring to The Guys by their cutesy-poo clubhouse nicknames; acting as a cheerleader and an apologist for The Guys; leaning hard on jock-talk crutches; and, of course, his general lack of actual insight for which he's apparently relying on his memory of what it was like when he was a player on the inside, rather than studying up on the game as an informed outsider.

In other words, he comes off like a YouTube or TikTok amateur, not as a broadcast professional.

Consequently, that might be just the kind of thing that appeals to Millennials and Zoomers. Can't wait until he talks about The Guys' social media feeds and red carpet walks.

Millennials and Zoomers do not watch baseball. The only sports that draw them are football and baseball.  

27 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

Oh Chicago, that's right. I don't know why I had Georgia on my mind... getting confused between Curt and Maybin? Been thinking of Ray Charles recently...? Something...

If I recall right, I remember learning when Curtis first came up that although he was from Chicago, he was a Braves fan.  So maybe that

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

Honestly, I don't think having Craig Monroe in place of Jack Morris is any kind of upgrade. He may be a nicer guy than Morris and also tick certain boxes, but his style is super off-putting to me.

It's not just the homerism which, yes, is bad. But even worse to me is his whole I'm-still-in-the-game schtick: referring to The Guys by their cutesy-poo clubhouse nicknames; acting as a cheerleader and an apologist for The Guys; leaning hard on jock-talk crutches; and, of course, his general lack of actual insight for which he's apparently relying on his memory of what it was like when he was a player on the inside, rather than studying up on the game as an informed outsider.

In other words, he comes off like a YouTube or TikTok amateur, not as a broadcast professional.

Consequently, that might be just the kind of thing that appeals to Millennials and Zoomers. Can't wait until he talks about The Guys' social media feeds and red carpet walks.

Agree.  Sadly they could solve it in house moving Dan Dickerson to TV with a Gibby and Peaches rotation.

DD is wasted on the radio

1 hour ago, 1984Echoes said:

Curt Granderson?

Oh he would be AWESOME!!! (yes, all caps and exclamations!!!)... but isn't he from Georgia? How are we going to pull him away from Atlanta?

He's from Chicago. 

Granderson would be a great analyst.  I like Petry too, but he seems like he'd appeal more to the  radio audience.  

Edited by Tiger337
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, theroundsquare said:

If I recall right, I remember learning when Curtis first came up that although he was from Chicago, he was a Braves fan.  So maybe that

Back in the days where you could get the so called Superstations on cable. Depending on your service it was either the Cubs (WGN, I don't think they ever had a SOX broadcast) with Harry Caray,  Braves (WTBS) Skip Caray, Pete Van Wieren and Mets (WOR) Ralph Kiner was the big draw. Granderson said he grew up watching Braves baseball 

3 hours ago, chasfh said:

This is overly harsh on Craig in the sense that for his flaws, he still generally doesn't make it all about himself or "back in my day" in his analysis. That alone makes him better than Jack Morris... not to mention the whole Ohtani thing or (just as bad imo) how Jack insinuated that Matt Manning wasn't tough enough when he came out of his start last year (prior to his long IL stint).

I tend to listen to the radio feed more than use the Tigers TV audio so maybe that skews my perception (also heard Craig on the radio with Dan, where he comes across better than on TV), I dunno. Craig is a bit of a hot dog and is too much of a homer, I get it, just feel like he's better by default due to Jack's flaws as color guy.

Edited by mtutiger

2 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

This is overly harsh on Craig in the sense that for his flaws, he still generally doesn't make it all about himself or "back in my day" in his analysis. That alone makes him better than Jack Morris... not to mention the whole Ohtani thing or (just as bad imo) how Jack insinuated that Matt Manning wasn't tough enough when he came out of his start last year (prior to his long IL stint).

Craig is a bit of a hot dog and is too much of a homer, I get it, just feel like he's better by default due to Jack's flaws as color guy.

It's not harsh at all. It's right on the money.

6 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

YMMV, but I dont find it insightful when the color guy on the broadcast insinuates an injured pitcher is a wussy

Just because Jack Morris is objectionable doesn't make Craig Monroe any better at what he does.

That said, any assessment I make represents my opinion, rather than objective fact that you must cosign onto. If you like Craig Monroe, cool. Fact is, I live out of town, so I can do radio overlay over TV video anyway. Or at least I could as recently as last season. I just hope Monroe doesn't end up the permanent partner of Dan Dickerson.

20 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

Morris was awful, glad he's gone.

Monroe has improved significantly. I am hoping a Granderson or Maybin is brought on for about 15-20 games.

Also don't forget Shep's rant after Game 162, almost as if he was on his way out.

The whole TV booth kinda needs an overhaul... even less Jack Morris, they still have Gibby doing games as well... and as much as I like him (and remember his days with Josh Lewin), I kinda wish he would pass the torch as well.

I would also add that with respect to Monroe and the whole discussion about "millennials", it kinda comes down to talent... there's a reason that guys like Steve Stone and Jim Palmer are well liked in their respective fan bases across generations and Jack much less so... those guys are simply better at the job, provide better insight and don't say stupid s*** on a regular basis 

Edited by mtutiger

40 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

The whole TV booth kinda needs an overhaul... even less Jack Morris, they still have Gibby doing games as well... and as much as I like him (and remember his days with Josh Lewin), I kinda wish he would pass the torch as well.

I would also add that with respect to Monroe and the whole discussion about "millennials", it kinda comes down to talent... there's a reason that guys like Steve Stone and Jim Palmer are well liked in their respective fan bases across generations and Jack much less so... those guys are simply better at the job, provide better insight and don't say stupid s*** on a regular basis 

TBC, the "Millennials and Zoomers" comment was not me dismissing them as such, but rather a comment on Baseball's targeting them as such—that is, Baseball is desperate to do whatever they think they can to grow that base. Have you seen the Network's program "Off Base"? The show is pretty explicitly targeting Gens M and Z with features on players' social media feeds and red carpet walks. I would think elevating Craig Monroe's profile would be in line with this overarching strategy.

17 minutes ago, chasfh said:

TBC, the "Millennials and Zoomers" comment was not me dismissing them as such, but rather a comment on Baseball's targeting them as such—that is, Baseball is desperate to do whatever they think they can to grow that base. Have you seen the Network's program "Off Base"? The show is pretty explicitly targeting Gens M and Z with features on players' social media feeds and red carpet walks. I would think elevating Craig Monroe's profile would be in line with this overarching strategy.

Maybe. But that seems incidental to the action of Morris and Bally parting ways... the truth is that we don't know the reasons that the action happened and it could be as simple as Morris wanting to spend more time in Minnesota with his family. Versus anything even performance / appeal related involving Morris or Monroe.

16 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Maybe. But that seems incidental to the action of Morris and Bally parting ways... the truth is that we don't know the reasons that the action happened and it could be as simple as Morris wanting to spend more time in Minnesota with his family. Versus anything even performance / appeal related involving Morris or Monroe.

Lots of possible reasons to ease out Morris. Pick any combination of:

-he's somewhat a loose cannon - re: suspension over Ohtani comment

-he may want to cut down on his travel from MN

-the Twins may have rehired him

-they've been grooming Monroe to move up, someone had to lose the air time

-his demographic *is* probably the worst of the current crew.

-he and Shep are the worst combination. That's not necessarily Jack's fault (though it might be), but Morris is the one guy where Shep can't seem to loosen up and get over acting like a waterboy, which makes a poor telecast.

Edited by gehringer_2