2022-23 Detroit Tigers Offseason Thread

chasfh

56 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Never was a chance and never will be, but still can't get over my fantasy that somehow the Tigers came up with a pot of gold big enough to lure Mike Turico. Our local guy is the best in the biz - IMHO.

Len Kasper grew up a Tigers fan.

Joe Davis grew up a Tigers fan and Ernie Harwell is his biggest inspiration. 

Joe Block grew up a Tigers fan.

10 hours ago, Edman85 said:

Len Kasper grew up a Tigers fan.

Joe Davis grew up a Tigers fan and Ernie Harwell is his biggest inspiration. 

Joe Block grew up a Tigers fan.

Joe Block is an East Sider. It’s rare for people to escape from the Macomb black hole so we bonded over that the one time we met. Good guy, super down to earth. The one time I met Len Kasper I tried to subtly bond with him over the Michiganness and he was not responsive to that.

I did not know Joe Davis grew up in Michigan!

13 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

Never was a chance and never will be, but still can't get over my fantasy that somehow the Tigers came up with a pot of gold big enough to lure Mike Turico. Our local guy is the best in the biz - IMHO.

Probably wouldn't happen and he may not want it, but Greg Gania (from the Erie broadcasts) is really really good at what he does and would do well on the TV Broadcasts imo. Even when he does spot-work for DD, he sounds better informed on the team and org than the typical crew Bally would run back.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Probably wouldn't happen and he may not want it, but Greg Gania (from the Erie broadcasts) is really really good at what he does and would do well on the TV Broadcasts imo. Even when he does spot-work for DD, he sounds better informed on the team and org than the typical crew Bally would run back.

I had a chance to watch a couple playoff games last season. He is good.

13 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

Lots of possible reasons to ease out Morris. Pick any combination of:

-he's somewhat a loose cannon - re: suspension over Ohtani comment

-he may want to cut down on his travel from MN

-the Twins may have rehired him

-they've been grooming Monroe to move up, someone had to lose the air time

-his demographic *is* probably the worst of the current crew.

-he and Shep are the worst combination. That's not necessarily Jack's fault (though it might be), but Morris is the one guy where Shep can't seem to loosen up and get over acting like a waterboy, which makes a poor telecast.

McCosky's writeup heavily suggested family was a decent sized factor, his son being a talented pitcher for a high school program up in The Cities... along with Bally budget issues.

The latter makes a lot of sense as well... whatever you think about Craigger, there's no doubt that his price tag is likely more modest than that of Jack Morris. (Despite all the colorful suits lol)

2 hours ago, chasfh said:

Joe Block is an East Sider. It’s rare for people to escape from the Macomb black hole so we bonded over that the one time we met. Good guy, super down to earth. The one time I met Len Kasper I tried to subtly bond with him over the Michiganness and he was not responsive to that.

I did not know Joe Davis grew up in Michigan!

I've lived in Macomb for 90% of my life, it's not a black hole.

On 1/16/2023 at 7:56 AM, chasfh said:

The San Diego Padres are such an interesting franchise. Here they are spending like crazy to put expensive stars and prospects on the field, yet their entire base of support is basically a single county. Unlike any other team (except probably the White Sox), the Padres don’t have much of a fan footprint beyond their immediate trading radius. San Diego is not even a particularly affluent metro area, ranking about 17th among those in the US that have teams. But if 2022 attendance is any indication, it’s working so far. I still believe were it not for league-wide revenue sharing making up such a high share of team receipts, though, they couldn’t get very far with this strategy.

Correlation =/= causation, but San Diego is also a few years removed from becoming a one-sport town. Can only imagine that helps further bond the city to its one remaining major league sports franchise.

Edited by mtutiger