2022-23 Detroit Tigers Offseason Thread

chasfh

11 minutes ago, buddha said:

in fairness, the south facing view is of downtown and is much nicer than the north facing view of.....desolation.

I didn't say there wasn't a reason - just that the reason had consequences. :classic_wink:

I do have some sympathy, these things don't always come out like they were planned. They spent a couple billion replacing Yankee stadium with a field that was engineered to play exactly equivalently to the old one and missed it by a mile. I think at COPA they made LF too big in part because they were afraid the west wind would make it a band box otherwise - didn't turn out that way at all and so the first move was that LF had to come in.

I also like the DT vista quite a bit - but they could have provided some shade for the poor souls on the 3rd base side at a day game.

Edited by gehringer_2

44 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

I didn't say there wasn't a reason - just that the reason had consequences. :classic_wink:

I do have some sympathy, these things don't always come out like they were planned. They spent a couple billion replacing Yankee stadium with a field that was engineered to play exactly equivalently to the old one and missed it by a mile. I think at COPA they made LF too big in part because they were afraid the west wind would make it a band box otherwise - didn't turn out that way at all and so the first move was that LF had to come in.

I also like the DT vista quite a bit - but they could have provided some shade for the poor souls on the 3rd base side at a day game.

Couldn't the shading be accomplished simply by extending the roof line of the upper level?  It wouldnt eradicate it but would provide more relief.

I don't know if it was well reported, but in the media gathering Harris had to discuss the new dimensions, he had some lines that really impressed me.

He reminded the media that park effects are prone to randomness and take a while to stabilize. Somebody asked about a three year window if that was appropriate, to which Harris said usually not that long, depends on the amount of balls in play.

He also said they now have access to weather data to help parse data and evaluate the park factors. I have to think that data is being used to evaluate players and parse stat lines too.

Music to my ears.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

I don't know if it was well reported, but in the media gathering Harris had to discuss the new dimensions, he had some lines that really impressed me.

He reminded the media that park effects are prone to randomness and take a while to stabilize. Somebody asked about a three year window if that was appropriate, to which Harris said usually not that long, depends on the amount of balls in play.

He also said they now have access to weather data to help parse data and evaluate the park factors. I have to think that data is being used to evaluate players and parse stat lines too.

Music to my ears.

you have weird taste in music.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Edman85 said:

Music to my ears.

I saw that interview too. Loved it when he corrected the reporter on what a small sample size is.

3 hours ago, chasfh said:

Secondly, Evan Woodbery is part of the old guard beat writer crew steeped in the ways of the old administration, and has still-active relationships with them that he built over the prior six years. He’s used to the loose lips and the sinking ships. Different animal now. Job’s gonna be harder. Best of luck to him.

If nothing else, I don't know that the beat writers (not to mention parts of the fan base) have recalibrated to the fact that Harris runs a much different ship than his predecessor and isn't going to make "conventional wisdom" moves as well.

To that end, Chapman even has the feel of the kinda move the last administration would make... the relief pitcher version of an Ivan Nova or Julio Teheran.

2 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

I won't stand for Woodbery slander. He ALWAYS bounces stuff off of me before reporting on things like options and roster minutiae. He stands out in that regard over a McCosky.

He's fine... Although all the reporting on "old friends" gets kinda old, although it's not just him who does it.

At least from semi following the Rangers, the beat writers for them don't get nearly as hung up on that sort of thing

41 minutes ago, LongLiveMaroth said:

Interesting list that Skubal and G.Hill are in.

this is something that I've thought should be the next unexploited advantage - teaching guys how to add and subtract more. The young JV would +/- almost 8 mph on his FB. If you can upset a hitter's timing without the strain of throwing a breaking ball everytime you want to do it, that's a pure plus. In fact, on the other side, I thought it was something that held back a Fulmer - he could throw hard but every FB was exactly the same speed. And he threw his slider so hard that if the change wasn't working, he had very little timing challenge for a hitter.

Of course the hard part is you have to have enough spin/life on your fastball to toss it up there at 91-92 part of the time without it getting hammered.

Edited by gehringer_2

https://www.mlb.com/tigers/news/matt-manning-eyes-next-step-with-tigers-in-2023

New article on the official site and I thought this quote from Manning about pitching assistant, Robin Lund was interesting:

“I got a bet that we have the only professor in our organization,” Manning said, noting Lund’s early career as a kinesiology professor. “He's not afraid to try different things. He doesn't care where you were drafted. He doesn't care what kind of hype you had around you. He looks at everybody kind of like a stick figure, and if he sees deficiencies, he can break it down and tell you where.”

3 hours ago, RaceDog said:

Miguel Andujar was let go....I think the Tigers should take a flyer on him and see if he is fixable.

They could cause its not like anybody is there. But outside of his rookie year (albeit in very limtied duty) he's sported a slash of .230/.257/.581. Just a hair better than Nevin, maybe we should just stick with Nevin and his possible upside.

Edited by KL2

11 hours ago, RaceDog said:

Miguel Andujar was let go....I think the Tigers should take a flyer on him and see if he is fixable.

Was thinking similar. Yet, as KL2 just mentioned:

8 hours ago, KL2 said:

They could cause its not like anybody is there. But outside of his rookie year (albeit in very limted duty) he's sported a slash of .230/.257/.581. Just a hair better than Nevin, maybe we should just stick with Nevin and his possible upside.

I think TNevin warrants a good look, if they had not traded for him I would be even more for this exploration/idea. There is also the thought that they still 'might' be looking at ERios or even an invite for 'Moose' (both LHB & 3B/1B, Rios obvious more upside as younger). Yet here, IF the case, the player would have to chose to come to Detroit as well.

One good thing about MAndujar is that although not a real strong defender, he can ad some diversity 3B/1B/LF (albeit similar to Nevin). He is still young enough (28 this yr?) and hit well at AAA as recent as last season. I believe he is at apx 1.53mil for the upcoming season IF they were to 'claim/trade' for him.

I don't think I would claim Andujar, but I'd be interested in offering him a minor league deal with an invite to camp.  He doesn't seem like the type of control the strike zone player that Harris has mentioned.  He does have a lower career SO% than league average (16.7% vs 22.6%), but he also has a career BB% lower than league average (4.1% vs 8.5%).

The Tigers have several options from which to choose for 3B (and, sure, let's be honest about the quality in spite of the quantity), but it seems like RHH corner OF is still kind of shallow.  Maybe he serves as nothing more than depth at Toledo in case of chaos among 3B/OF in Detroit.

Edited by casimir

Not interested.

Walk rate of 4%

Not a defender. Has played DH almost as much as LF the past 4 years... and immediately after his nice rookie year at 3B... telling.

From 2019-22 (age 24-27 or, prime years) roughly a .620 OPS. He's no longer in his prime. Unless he has made a JD Martinez batting change...

Scraping the bottom of the barrel here, no thanks.

38 minutes ago, casimir said:

I don't think I would claim Andujar, but I'd be interested in offering him a minor league deal with an invite to camp.  He doesn't seem like the type of control the strike zone player that Harris has mentioned.  He does have a lower career SO% than league average (16.7% vs 22.6%), but he also has a career BB% lower than league average (4.1% vs 8.5%).

The Tigers have several options from which to choose for 3B (and, sure, let's be honest about the quality in spite of the quantity), but it seems like RHH corner OF is still kind of shallow.  Maybe he serves as nothing more than depth at Toledo in case of chaos among 3B/OF in Detroit.

Wouldn't have an issue bringing him on with an invite to camp, but in terms of RHH Corner OF, Nevin has played OF and his skillset more or less overlaps Andujar generally. And Andujar's walk rate seems kinda off of what Harris might have in mind as well.

At that point, it becomes a question of whether one really believes that Andujar was more than just a flash in the plan in 2018 or if that's it. The fact that he was DFA'd by Pittsburgh kinda leads one to believe it's the latter. Because honestly, it feels like a lot of the hype around him is more a combination of his 2018 and the fact that he was in the Yankees org (and that young players associated with that franchise tend to get a disproportionate amount of hype).

Edited by mtutiger

15 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Wouldn't have an issue bringing him on with an invite to camp, but in terms of RHH Corner OF, Nevin has played OF and his skillset more or less overlaps Andujar generally. And Andujar's walk rate seems kinda off of what Harris might have in mind as well.

At that point, it becomes a question of whether one really believes that Andujar was more than just a flash in the plan in 2018 or if that's it. The fact that he was DFA'd by Pittsburgh kinda leads one to believe it's the latter. Because honestly, it feels like a lot of the hype around him is more a combination of his 2018 and the fact that he was in the Yankees org (and that young players associated with that franchise tend to get a disproportionate amount of hype).

Ha!  That was my first reaction, too, but I am also reminded of the fact that Pittsburgh is Pittsburgh, so maybe they flubbed this one up.

I agree, a lot of the bluster about Andujar is likely from 2018 rather than the past few seasons.  I don't know what's happened with him that last few seasons.  Maybe there's a reclamation project here, maybe there's not.  Like I said, I wouldn't claim him, but if he becomes nothing more than a minor league contract type of player, then what are the Tigers out if he doesn't even make Toledo?  

21 minutes ago, casimir said:

Ha!  That was my first reaction, too, but I am also reminded of the fact that Pittsburgh is Pittsburgh, so maybe they flubbed this one up.

I agree, a lot of the bluster about Andujar is likely from 2018 rather than the past few seasons.  I don't know what's happened with him that last few seasons.  Maybe there's a reclamation project here, maybe there's not.  Like I said, I wouldn't claim him, but if he becomes nothing more than a minor league contract type of player, then what are the Tigers out if he doesn't even make Toledo?  

Nah, I get it. I dont know that Andujar is someone that fits what Harris wants, but bringing him aboard on a minor league deal seems low risk.

But at the same time, I do imagine that a lot of the same people who see Andujar as a viable 3B option were likely also gnashing teeth when it looked like Tyler Nevin or Andy Ibanez might be in line for the starting gig, despite the fact that it's likely that Andujar is on that same level of player at this point in his career 

58 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Wouldn't have an issue bringing him on with an invite to camp, but in terms of RHH Corner OF, Nevin has played OF and his skillset more or less overlaps Andujar generally...

Worse...

Andujar has significant reverse splits. He is much better against RH'ers than LH'ers... which defeats the purpose. Plus the shitty walk rate.

Vierling is a better option as a RH'ed corner OF'er... and Nevin, who has struggled in SSS in MLB, has very strong straight splits in the minors... pounding LH'ers significantly better than RH'ers... so I think he actually qualifies as a RH'ed corner OF option...

Andujar... no.

59 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Setting aside Tyler Nevin, I would imagine it's an open question whether Andujar is better than even Andy Ibanez at this point, who is another one of Harris' churned Toledo guys.

Yes...

Ibanez is a better option than Andujar...

At least as a RH'ed platoon bat goes...

1 hour ago, 1984Echoes said:

Worse...

Andujar has significant reverse splits. He is much better against RH'ers than LH'ers... which defeats the purpose. Plus the shitty walk rate.

Vierling is a better option as a RH'ed corner OF'er... and Nevin, who has struggled in SSS in MLB, has very strong straight splits in the minors... pounding LH'ers significantly better than RH'ers... so I think he actually qualifies as a RH'ed corner OF option...

Andujar... no.

image.thumb.png.c997c502ef2561cd36095a7838b83e3c.png

I don't know that they are significant.  But it is an interesting reverse.