2022-23 Detroit Tigers Offseason Thread

chasfh

20 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

I think Rolen and Whitaker are pretty similar.  Very good for a long time, but never superstars.  Rolen did have 9.2 WAR in 2004, but it was driven, in part, by a huge defensive year which may have been a fluke.  I am also surprised he got in, because he is not the type of player the BBWAA usually notices.  

I think today’s group of BBWAA voters put in both Lou and Tram. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, CMRivdogs said:

Scott Rolen breaking the HOF news to his parents

That's good stuff.

You know, that brings something up that I think sometimes gets forgotten about these nominations/inductions.  The families of the award winners, the parents in particular.  All of the time logged with Rolen when he was a kid, just tossing the ball around in the yard, or even coaching, or transporting, or supporting through the tough times, and now that has all ultimately culminated in this honor.  Hopefully they get to share in the festivities at Cooperstown.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Jim Cowan said:

Scott Rolen was a very good player in his prime, but I am kind of surprised that he got in.  Lots of gold gloves and silver sluggers, and he's certainly more deserving than Baines or Morris, but although he hung on until age 37 he didn't accomplish much after his age 31 season, so his counting stats aren't that impressive.  I think I like Whitaker's career better.

It kind of looks like some of his counting stats were affected after age 31, possibly from injury?  It looks like missed some playing time there.

I think in general theory, I am fine with players that had several all star type seasons and maybe modest production aside from that and/or players that were above average for an elongated period (beyond several seasons).  I would say Rolen is more along the former and Whitaker maybe some kind of a combination of the two rather than one or the other.  I think there's plenty of space for both of their plaques in that room (which I honestly think is one of the more boring display rooms in the building).

Its not to take anything away from Rolen, but it seems kind of odd that he is the sole HOF entry (via traditional vote).  Helton was close enough that I would guess he gets voted in next year.

Top 5 stories this Spring Training

1.  Fixing Spencer Torkelson

2. Matthew Boyd is a different pitcher from before

3. Which young pitcher will breakout (Wilmer Flores, Wilmer Flores or Wilmer Flores)

4.  The new found power of Riley Greene

5.  How incredibly athletic Matt Vierling is  (more than most people, even)

Honorable Mention - Tarik Skubal is tossing the ball

HM 2 - Donny Sands might be the #1 catcher. 

1 hour ago, Motor City Sonics said:

3. Which young pitcher will breakout (Wilmer Flores, Wilmer Flores or Wilmer Flores)

Austin Meadows return will be a top 5 story is my guess. 

56 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

What no, Turnbull ready to continue where he left off?  

1 hour ago, Motor City Sonics said:

'Donny Sands' just sounds like a baseball name lol

Just now, LongLiveMaroth said:

What no, Turnbull ready to continue where he left off?  

I don't get people who think this year's team isn't interesting from a story line perspective... While they probably won't win a lot, it's a really strange brew of younger players looking to prove themselves (Greene, Tork, etc.), players coming off of long term injuries looking to reestablish themselves (Meadows, Boyd, Turnbull, Rogers, etc.), and vets who had abysmal years that aren't indicative of the kind of players they should be (Baez, ERod, Schoop, etc.)

Success may not be likely, but there's more material for the beat writers than is generally given credit for

2 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Hernandez stands a decent chance of making this team, one imagines... Solid low risk signing

I just hope we don't see something we have seen in the past with the Tigers, which is where they have so many candidates for some posititions that nobody can play enough in ST to resolve anything.

11 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

I just hope we don't see something we have seen in the past with the Tigers, which is where they have so many candidates for some posititions that nobody can play enough in ST to resolve anything.

The WBC will help alleviate this. Baez is the only one in the mix playing in it, I think, though.

24 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

The other fear is Hinch falling in love with a vet and playing him because... well, he's a veteran (any vet that fits this description, including Schoop and Miggy, Cesar, or any other subpar player that simply fills in a position/ PA's) and going against the grain of Harris's sentiment that the kids HAVE to get PA's because they gotta be developed/ given chances...

Like the Castrei of the past few years...

7 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

The other fear is Hinch falling in love with a vet and playing him because... well, he's a veteran (any vet that fits this description, including Schoop and Miggy, Cesar, or any other subpar player that simply fills in a position/ PA's) and going against the grain of Harris's sentiment that the kids HAVE to get PA's because they gotta be developed/ given chances...

Like the Castrei of the past few years...

I would say this is a legit concern, but to an extent the reliance on the Castrei was as much about lacking depth as it was about deep love for them as players.

The good news is that they appear to be in better shape depth wise than they were going into last year.

Edited by mtutiger

1 hour ago, mtutiger said:

Hernandez stands a decent chance of making this team, one imagines... Solid low risk signing

Seems like an 'ok' move. Was thinking more like ERios as he has some upside (power upside) and is more a 3B/1B.

Hernandez should not take too many ABs from younger players. We have to remember just because there are younger players around does not mean they should be getting 'all' the ABs. Heck, WCastro, VReyes, DHill, DCameron, CStewart, MGerber, etc., etc. were the younger players we were worrying about getting ABs 3-4 yrs ago, lol. Who knows one of them may still become a solid MLB - which Hernandez has been up until last season.

The other thing is there are sooo many injuries this day and age. If we were to lose a vet or two (all clubs do) someone has to fill in for some of it.

If CKieth, WPerez, RKriedler, etc. show they can play between MiLB & MLB time - they will get their chances I/we have to believe.

On 1/6/2023 at 9:48 AM, chasfh said:

Two or three mid-level guys would be great, but in the current players' market, we're not getting even one mid-level guy. Just about all the mid-level position players—whom I would peg as being those guys who could expect to sign for two to four years—are already gone, and most of the guys who were crowd-sourced on Fangraphs to get two or more years got more years than expected ... I'm fairly confident we'll get somebody, but probably not a somebody that anybody here really wants on the team as of today. It's going to be somebody we're not talking about now, and who comes here because he needs a job. Think along the lines of Johan Comargo or Cesar Hernandez or Jonathan Davis or Jake Marisnick.

You're welcome.

1 hour ago, mtutiger said:

I would say this is a legit concern, but to an extent the reliance on the Castrei was as much about lacking depth as it was about deep love for them as players.

The good news is that they appear to be in better shape depth wise than they were going into last year.

Honestly, all due respect to 84, I don't think the concern is legit.

I firmly believe Hinch was merely playing the hand dealt to him, under a system he was forced for a time to work under and which he, I believe, worked from the inside to help overthrow. I think Hinch has proven that he is the opposite of stick-in-the-mud jockhead anti-analyticism. If people still want to blame him for the garbage Avila put on the field and the strategies that Avila, I believe, demanded, that's fine, they're certainly free to. I would strongly disagree with a take along those line.

I know it's always hard to believe that a new day is dawning right in front of your eyes, because after being burned so many times before, no one wants to be made to look the fool for emotionally going all in on it. People want to be regarded as wise, not foolish. But I believe, 100%, that new day is dawning, and I myself am willing to risk being seen as that fool. Anyone else with me on this? Because if I am alone on it, that's OK, it wouldn't be the first time.

• Like 1