2022-23 Detroit Tigers Offseason Thread

chasfh

Just heard an "on this date" from yesterday about the National League moving to a 162 game schedule in 1962.  The American League did so in 1961.  They expanded in different seasons (Los Angeles Angels & Washington Senators in 1961 and Houston Colt .45s & New York Mets in 1962).  So that 1961 World Series was played by teams with about a week's worth of difference in games played.

The other coincidence about the schedules is that Maris' 61 home run season came in the first 162 game season.  For as much asterisk talk as there is about expansion and schedule length, I don't know that there is mention of the fact that it was the first 162 game regular season played.

1 minute ago, chasfh said:

Fire up the torches and pitchforks for Keith Law if you want, but he’s right.

This also serves as a reminder of how John Schreiber is yet another one we let get away.

Not firing up the pitchforks, but it's not exactly a new development that the farm system isn't where it needs to be and the last GM lost his job in part because of those failures. 

The question is where they go from here. I am cautiously optimistic based on what Harris has done to-date.

15 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Not firing up the pitchforks, but it's not exactly a new development that the farm system isn't where it needs to be and the last GM lost his job in part because of those failures. 

The question is where they go from here. I am cautiously optimistic based on what Harris has done to-date.

I said it basically for its comic value, based on the fact we both know that there are many people who've posted here over the years who hate Keith Law specifically because he's been saying for years how much the Tigers suck as an organization.

5 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I said it basically for its comic value, based on the fact we both know that there are many people who've posted here over the years who hate Keith Law specifically because he's been saying for years how much the Tigers suck as an organization.

I know. Law has actually said a lot of good things about the Tigers since Harris has taken over (such as his writeups on the Jimenez/Soto trades), although his writeup today reflects more on Harris' predecessor for obvious reasons.

My comment was more aimed at the usual "woe is us" reactions at these rankings... I would understand it more if Avila were still here GMing, but he's not, so that should give us all hope no matter where Keith Law ranks them.

42 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

I think a lot of guys took steps forward last year.

This is true - and despite the lack of Top 100 talent across all the rankings, one could make an argument that they at least have a little more depth now than what they did when they did have a bunch of guys in the top end of the Top 100 as well.

16 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

This is true - and despite the lack of Top 100 talent across all the rankings, one could make an argument that they at least have a little more depth now than what they did when they did have a bunch of guys in the top end of the Top 100 as well.

And more depth is coming. It's going to be a long slog, but do I think Harris will get us there, not only because he knows what he's doing, but also because he's the new boss with the blessing of the owner and without the same internal political relationships to navigate. From what I can tell, Harris is the new politics.

Just now, Tiger337 said:

I hope Todd Jones' commentary is better that peanut butter knife stories he wrote for the Detroit News.  

He told a great story about heckling that I'm sure was shared here.  A guy was harassing him in the bullpen, this might have been in Colorado, and Todd sent him a ball and a $10 bill and a note saying "Here's a ball, go get a hot dog and a beer".  The fan sent it back with a $20 bill and said "I'm rich, I can buy by own hot dog.  You still suck"

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

28 minutes ago, Jim Cowan said:

Al Avila does not hold a monopoly on failing to develop long term every day players.  Here is the full list for the past 38 years:  Travis Fryman, Bobby Higginson, Curtis Granderson.

I'll add Alex Avila.  There are a few others, but you are right it's been going on for a long time.  

Edited by Tiger337

27 minutes ago, oblong said:

I get the point and it's very valid.... but would you add Matt Joyce to the list?  I think he was a solid player who came up here and had success at the MLB level before being traded for Edwin Jackson.  

Similarly, how about Eugenio Suarez?

Well, not quite similarly.  Joyce and Suarez got very different returns. 

Edited by casimir