2022-23 Detroit Tigers Offseason Thread

chasfh

4 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

I think they both count.  The return doesn't really matter as far as ability to develop players.

Yes, you're right.  I could have stated that better.

The similarity between the two is indeed with respect to the development as a Tiger minor leaguer.

The nonsimilarity between the two is that Joyce returned some value and Suarez returned some crap.  

Edwin Jackson was solid in 2009, and was a big part of the Scherzer/Granderson deal. I'd say the Tigers won the Joyce/Jackson trade. If Reese Olson gives the Tigers anything, a small portion of that value can be traced back to Matt Joyce.

Edited by Edman85

20 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

Great way to start off Friday. This will never get old.  

Btw, I love the in game audio. 

Definitely one of my top moments as a Tigers fan.  Maybe because I was younger then, but this is even more memorable than the Ordonez homer for me.  

• Like 2

The reason I didn't include Suarez is I didn't get the impression he was a solid or even decent MLB player yet.  I feel like he got more seasoning when he went to Cincy whereas Matt Joyce was more of a finished product.  But I could be wrong in how I remember it.

41 minutes ago, oblong said:

The reason I didn't include Suarez is I didn't get the impression he was a solid or even decent MLB player yet.  I feel like he got more seasoning when he went to Cincy whereas Matt Joyce was more of a finished product.  But I could be wrong in how I remember it.

Suarez did have some minor league playing time in Cincinnati's organization (246 PAs), but the majority of his minor league career was with Detroit (2,205 PAs).  Now, that's not to say once he arrived from the minors he was a complete player.  Certainly he developed some in the majors.

I think its fair to give Detroit some credit for Suarez.  At the very least, he did make his MLB debut with Detroit.  His minor league numbers were such that his promotion to Detroit wasn't a shock.  Could be a situation where Cincinnati finished that development off or further improved him beyond what Detroit could have been able to do.

Edited by casimir

2 hours ago, Edman85 said:

Edwin Jackson was solid in 2009, and was a big part of the Scherzer/Granderson deal. I'd say the Tigers won the Joyce/Jackson trade. If Reese Olson gives the Tigers anything, a small portion of that value can be traced back to Matt Joyce.

I remember having a conversation on the old MLB Detroit Tigers MB with someone that didn't like seeing Edwin Jackson being replaced with Max Scherzer.  I said that I was pretty confident that Scherzer will end up having a better career than Jackson, but I don't think I was able to convince him.  

On 2/2/2023 at 11:05 AM, Tiger337 said:

I hope Todd Jones' commentary is better than the peanut butter knife stories he wrote for the Detroit News.  

I read that Craig Monroe was going to do color in the booth with Shep for 100 games? He's the reason I turn the volume off during the games. Guy slurps when he talks like he has a constant mouth full of spit. And he just goes on and on and on....

I was wrong. 130 games of that slobbering idiot;

Monroe is scheduled to work approximately 130 games, according to a source with knowledge of the situation, followed by Petry (approximately 100 games), Gibson (about 40 games), Maybin (about 30 games) and Jones (about 15 games).

Edited by Sports_Freak

13 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

I read that Craig Monroe was going to do color in the booth with Shep for 100 games? He's the reason I turn the volume off during the games. Guy slurps when he talks like he has a constant mouth full of spit. And he just goes on and on and on....

Monroe is scheduled to work approximately 130 games, according to a source with knowledge of the situation, followed by Petry (approximately 100 games), Gibson (about 40 games), Maybin (about 30 games) and Jones (about 15 games).

130 + 100 + 40 + 30 +15 = 315 games for the analysts.  Sounds like a 3 man booth with Shepard's play by play.  Or maybe the 315 includes the pre & post game shows?  I don't know.

1 hour ago, casimir said:

130 + 100 + 40 + 30 +15 = 315 games for the analysts.  Sounds like a 3 man booth with Shepard's play by play.  Or maybe the 315 includes the pre & post game shows?  I don't know.

Well, at times they had 3 people in the booth. Ignoring the game and babbling on about 1984, stories we've heard over and over. But whatever, Craig does the game and the sound goes off.

2 hours ago, Sports_Freak said:

2 hours ago, casimir said:

I believe Petry, Maybin and Jones will be primarily doing the desk work for the pre and postgame shows.  Monroe and Gibson will be doing the both work.  I'd assume when Gibson is in, Monroe might be back on the desk for those games, or maybe off.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mtutiger said:

People are mostly thinking ahead to pitchers and catchers, but the relief market still ain't cooked yet.... Michael Fulmer, Andrew Chafin and other still available.

Norris has decent projections too among old friends out there.

I suspect they may have a deal with one or two of those guys but are waiting on the roster spot from Mize/Skubal next week.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Cruzer1 said:

All-time nice guy Fred Lynn with two new knees...

His 300th HR was as a Tiger and hit off of Kansas City’s Bret Saberhagen on September 4, 1989.  The Tigers traded Chris Hoiles and two players to be named later for him.

Now that I think about it, “players to be named later” is a ridiculous phrase.  Unless the player is not yet born, they probably have a name.  That phrase should probably be changed.

Edited by casimir
  • Like 1

Just now, casimir said:

His 300th HR was as a Tiger and hit off of Kansas City’s Bret Saberhagen on September 4, 1989.  The Tigers traded Chris Hoiles and two players to be named later for him.

Now that’s think about it, “players to be named later” is a ridiculous phrase.  Unless the player is not yet born, they probably have a name.  That phrase should probably be changed.

I was at that game. It was Labor Day.  Doug Strange also hit his first, and maybe only, HR. 

• Thanks 1