2022-23 Detroit Tigers Offseason Thread

chasfh

1 minute ago, oblong said:

I was at that game. It was Labor Day.  Doug Strange also hit his first, and maybe only, HR. 

It was a Labor Day day game.  Only 17K there, so I’ll bet you had plenty of elbow room.

Bo Jackson played, but only as a DH.  I know he probably needed DH days, too, but geez, what a contrast of LFs between he and 38 year old Fred Lynn.  And between the two, Jackson was the one that had his body betray him at a still youthful age.

39 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

Norris has decent projections too among old friends out there.

I suspect they may have a deal with one or two of those guys but are waiting on the roster spot from Mize/Skubal next week.

So there is an official date that players can be put on the 60 day IL that are currently on the 40 man roster? It would seem several teams may be going this route of course to give out a few potential MLB deals...

When they got Fred Lynn it was right at the playoff roster deadline...There was some weird story about him not getting here in time..IIRC, you could technically "report" to your team if the plane you were on contacted the control tower at the airport.  He didn't make that and the Tigers could have lied about it, but did not.  So, had they made the playoffs that year, Fred Lynn would not have been eligible because Bill Lajoie was an honest Joe

1 hour ago, casimir said:

It was a Labor Day day game.  Only 17K there, so I’ll bet you had plenty of elbow room.

Bo Jackson played, but only as a DH.  I know he probably needed DH days, too, but geez, what a contrast of LFs between he and 38 year old Fred Lynn.  And between the two, Jackson was the one that had his body betray him at a still youthful age.

We were 15. My friends mom drove down and dropped us off.  We sat near that auxiliary box on the RF line. We went to see Bo and Saberhagen. That was when Bo was breaking his bat over his head.  In BP he was aiming for the LF roof and did hit some up there.  Then to appease the fans he broke his bat.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, casimir said:

His 300th HR was as a Tiger and hit off of Kansas City’s Bret Saberhagen on September 4, 1989.  The Tigers traded Chris Hoiles and two players to be named later for him.

Now that I think about it, “players to be named later” is a ridiculous phrase.  Unless the player is not yet born, they probably have a name.  That phrase should probably be changed.

Many times, there's a newly drafted player who can't be traded for at least a year. Or a team gets a list of possible players and wait to make a choice.

15 hours ago, Sports_Freak said:

Many times, there's a newly drafted player who can't be traded for at least a year. Or a team gets a list of possible players and wait to make a choice.

LOL..... thanks.  I'm not trying to sound like a prick, but I do know that that rule exists.  It was a bad joke gone awry.  I let it loose as hard as I could throw it and it ended up off target.  Call it a Gregory Soto fastball.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

I recall the stretch where we would add guys past their prime:

Eric Davis

Lloyd Moseby

Ruben Sierra

Fred Lynn

Bill Madlock

Vince Coleman

Ray Knight

Probably forgetting a few.  

i was so excited for Eric Davis.  that guy could do it all when he was with the reds.  I remember him playing okay for the Tigers, then dropping out because of a cancer diagnosis, and coming back a couple years later and having some good seasons with the orioles 

4 hours ago, casimir said:

LOL..... thanks.  I'm not trying to sound like a prick, but I do know that that rule exists.  It was a bad joke gone awry.  I let it loose as hard as I could throw it and it ended up off target.  Call it a Gregory Soto fastball.

I kinda figured that out once I saw who I responded to. Sometimes I can take things kinda literal. 😆

2 hours ago, Toddwert said:

Is it really cord cutting?  I have to believe the TV audience is diminishing because baseball is waning in popularity.  Its biggest advantage is that it owns the summer, while the other three major sports overlap in the fall-spring. MLB has to figure out how to market their marquee players, as well as teaching them how to market themselves via social media.  The only baseball player that I’ve seen do that effectively has been Trevor Bauer, who then got canceled.

Edited by Tenacious D

4 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

I recall the stretch where we would add guys past their prime:

Eric Davis

Lloyd Moseby

Ruben Sierra

Fred Lynn

Bill Madlock

Vince Coleman

Ray Knight

Probably forgetting a few.  

That's a good list.  I might argue about Ruben Sierra, I think the only reason he was here was that unless we took his contract the Yankees wouldn't take Cecil.

43 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

Is it really cord cutting?  I have to believe the TV audience is diminishing because baseball is waning in popularity.  

Most of these Bally RSNs are carrying NBA and NHL broadcasts as well and those leagues are in the same boat as well waiting to see how this fiasco plays out.

59 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

Is it really cord cutting?  I have to believe the TV audience is diminishing because baseball is waning in popularity.  Its biggest advantage is that it owns the summer, while the other three major sports overlap in the fall-spring. MLB has to figure out how to market their marquee players, as well as teaching them how to market themselves via social media.  The only baseball player that I’ve seen do that effectively has been Trevor Bauer, who then got canceled.

both are true, decreased audience shows up as decreased ad rates/revenue, but the cable carrier fees were a significant piece of the RSNs income and every person who has canceled Comcast or other full service carrier and switched to a streaming service that doesn't carry the RSNs (which is most of them) is a couple of bucks a month straight out of Bally's income. But declining audience is what makes them so afraid of a single service subscription service. They may set up to offer it and find no-one shows up to buy it. The cable carriage fees were a gold mine for baseball because they got paid whether anyone watched or not!

15 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

both are true, decreased audience shows up as decreased ad rates/revenue, but the cable carrier fees were a significant piece of the RSNs income and every person who has canceled Comcast or other full service carrier and switched to a streaming service that doesn't carry the RSNs (which is most of them) is a couple of bucks a month straight out of Bally's income. But declining audience is what makes them so afraid of a single service subscription service. They may set up to offer it and find no-one shows up to buy it. The cable carriage fees were a gold mine for baseball because they got paid whether anyone watched or not!

The cost of the service that Bally is offering is a big issue as well. Peacock, Paramount+, HBO Max, Disney+, you name it... they are all significantly cheaper.

At 19.99 per month, you get the die hards... and little else. Casual fans largely are gonna be cut out.

Edited by mtutiger

1 hour ago, Tenacious D said:

Cord cutting is an issue.  The blackout rules are an issue.  Waning popularity is probably an issue, although to be fair MLB is trying to do something with the flow of game play.  Whether or not what they are trying works is another thing.

How much of an issue is viewing habits sports in general?  Are people more into catching highlights after the game or maybe checking the score and seeing whether it’s worth their time to watch a game after some time has passed?  I know a few season ago the NBA had considered some sort of subscription to broadcast 4th quarters of games.  I don’t think it ever came to fruition, but would that have been a consideration 20 or even 10 years ago?