2022-23 Detroit Tigers Offseason Thread

chasfh

The other item that he brought up was the removal of players from the injured list after the World Series.  I knew there would need to be cutdowns, but I had forgotten about the injured lists needing to be emptied.  I wouldn’t think anyone cut there would be a good target to go after, but I guess you never know.

1 hour ago, casimir said:

The other item that he brought up was the removal of players from the injured list after the World Series.  I knew there would need to be cutdowns, but I had forgotten about the injured lists needing to be emptied.  I wouldn’t think anyone cut there would be a good target to go after, but I guess you never know.

1. Nine spots will need to be cleared. Definite free agents, Norris and Barnhart, make two. Schoop and Chafin could opt out and make it five. Guys like Lester and Castillo are no-brainers. Others let go would be free agent eligible. This is the last time you can outright them without some additional red tape.

2. I wouldn't be surprised if the Tigers were active here claiming other teams' cast offs, necessitating additional moves.

24 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

1. Nine spots will need to be cleared. Definite free agents, Norris and Barnhart, make two. Schoop and Chafin could opt out and make it five. Guys like Lester and Castillo are no-brainers. Others let go would be free agent eligible. This is the last time you can outright them without some additional red tape.

2. I wouldn't be surprised if the Tigers were active here claiming other teams' cast offs, necessitating additional moves.

+Cameron, W. Castro, Short, Candelario, Cisnero makes 9. Plus Reyes and you have a spot to add. 

28 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

Sure, just because someone makes it through now or even through the rule 5 without getting being removed doesn’t mean that’ll be the case all the way through to when pitchers and catchers report.

2 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

+Cameron, W. Castro, Short, Candelario, Cisnero makes 9. Plus Reyes and you have a spot to add. 

I don’t know for sure, but my suspicion is that the 49 guys lean heavily towards Ps. So, it’ll be interesting to see how they cull down to 40 (or below).

10 minutes ago, casimir said:

I don’t know for sure, but my suspicion is that the 49 guys lean heavily towards Ps. So, it’ll be interesting to see how they cull down to 40 (or below).

Ed counted two, Cisnero would be three. To pare more pitchers maybe Bryan Garcia depending on what they thought about his move to a starting position. I could seem them cutting bait on Funkhouser as well. I could also see them being conservative about keeping arms around because so many pitchers coming back from injury are perforce question marks.

Luis Castillo and Josh Lester are the no-brainers. I would have said Hutchison or Sanchez a couple weeks ago. Papierski or Palacios could get slipped through here, maybe Luis Garcia. Funkhouser, Rony Garcia, Elvin Rodriguez also come to mind as guys to try to pass through waivers.

10 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

Ed counted two, Cisnero would be three. To pare more pitchers maybe Bryan Garcia depending on what they thought about his move to a starting position. I could seem them cutting bait on Funkhouser as well. I could also see them being conservative about keeping arms around because so many pitchers coming back from injury are perforce question marks.

Its probably not an exercise of how to get to the threshold of 40.  Its probably more of an exercise of how many does Harris see any actual value in.

• Like 1

I suspect in order to get down from 49 to the maximum of 40 for the time being, the following transactions will occur:

image.png.6cefb2461f621b676da9b91cb0129ef8.png

Further, I think there are 10 players that could be added to that pile, although I think their future is a bit more questionable for one reason or another.

image.png.e72942c76e437ff49f28a1e7a6154712.png

That leaves the following list of pitchers and position players:

image.png.a27733f5c2411f66b7e491a25c453e63.png

image.png.d4ba213f8dff80597ce8d1344c57beeb.png

Papierski is way near the top of the chopping block. Don't be thrown by him (and Palacios) being a Harris acquisition. The whole point of claiming guys like that is to bring them in and try to slip them through waivers later.

Edited by Edman85

30 minutes ago, SoCalTiger said:

Our roster looks really thin. Even on the list of keepers from Casimir there is real fodder. I think G2 was actually serious or acurate when he said we have 8 guys that matter. 

He very well could be right.  I just wanted to get to 40 to see which 7 (in addition to the 2 free agents) would be removed immediately.  There's no rhyme or reason to cut only 7, they could easily pare it down further.  It will be interesting to see what Harris does.

I still think there’s a not half-bad chance we go to arb with Jeimer. He was considered a good-hitting four-win player all the way up to the end of 2021; I find it unlikely that he has permanently fallen off the cliff in a career-ending way within a single year, at age 28, while playing in an historically-bad offensive coaching environment. I could see us taking the $7 million gamble to see whether he can be restored, because who else we got? Ryan Kreidler? Are we really ready to hand him 502+ plate appearances next year? Or do we simply add 3B to the long list of black-hole positions to fill from the outside?

Even if we don’t go to arb with him, I find it even less likely that we can DFA him and then simply sign him to a minor-league contract in an unimpeded way. There are lots of teams that would consider Jeimer an upgrade, or at least someone who can be fixed enough to repair their own 3B woes. A’s, Nationals, Diamondbacks, Royals, Reds, Giants—they all have uncertain situations at 3B right now. Even the Cubs might be willing to take a flyer on a Devil They Know. I really doubt no one else would even take a look at Jeimer if we cut him loose on the market.

1 hour ago, Tenacious D said:

I would think we’d want to get closer to 30 with this list, allowing for players we need to protect, and some room for the Rule 5 draft and free agent signings.

That point will eventually arrive.  We don’t know if Harris decides to just cut to that now or if he still has some evaluation to get through.  That’s kind of why I had that group of players labeled as possible cuts.  Maybe it happens sooner rather than later, it’s certainly possible.

I guess the other aspect to the rule 5 is what does Harris think of the players that are eligible?  Who does he think is worth keeping, who does he think could sneak through unclaimed, and who does he think is replaceable?

22 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

I was Jeimer’s biggest cheerleader since we traded for him.  I’m done, though.  Time to move on.

I keep going back and forth on him.  Free agent 3Bdudes is pretty shallow.  We don’t know what trades are possible.  And we don’t know what nontenders could be available.

He’s been good and bad.  Sometimes I want to write off 2022 because all hitters stunk and the two coaches are it returning.  Other times, I remember these coaches were the same coaches in 2021 when Candelario was fine.  And regardless of who the hitting coaches were, Candelario’s defense took a step back in 2022.