2022-23 Detroit Tigers Offseason Thread

chasfh

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

Right, I agree, no trades or free agents, but maybe hirings or firings or releases.

The first domino of the four-day break falls, and it's ... ahem ... a big one.

gettyimages-1392665157-612x612.jpg.2ece0885b89efe73b2690f7dc2286459.jpg

And, of course, a welcome one. We've been talking about poor training and injury recovery record of this team the whole year.

31 minutes ago, SoCalTiger said:

Yes and point well made but which is he is the question and he and the team was beyond terrible last year so I vote for a fresh look knowing it might be the wrong decision verses retaining him and knowing it could also be the wrong decision.

Good post. 

Overall, I would just say that if they do end up bringing him back (which wouldn't surprise me), I just hope they do it because they really think he can fix him and help him be more like the guy from 2021, not simply out of settling for him out of fear that they can't land someone on the free agent market or execute a trade to improve on the position.

The latter being what Avila would do if he still has the job

I am not in big on trying to "fix" players nor "place holding" for minor leaguers in hope they actually can play at the MLB level. So I don't want to fix Candy nor wait for Colt "don't call me Keith" Colt or Kreidler. These kids have to force their way on the team and replace someone or Scott Harris, ala DD, can promote their "potential" and trade for established talent. We could have gotten lots of talent for Tork before he came up. Thats a calculated risk. Not saying we should have done that but we should always consider that option. A player has their highest values at two points, when they are highly rated minor leaguers and after performing well at the MLB level. 

I want talent not fixes so yes I am moving on from Candy and the 7 million DOES mean something when invested with other $$ for more certain MLB talent. Not saying I am correct but it's how I proceed. 

I see Schoop and Candy as fairly redundant--both will make ~$7M next season, but we're only on the hook for Jonathan.  $7M might not seem like much, but if it actually makes a difference relative to other players we want to add (free agents, bad contracts), then cutting Candy loose and applying his salary is fine by me.

If risking $7 million on a guy likely to rebound, which would make the salary worth it, is a major concern because there's a possibility he won't—if the money is the reason they don't do it—then we should be a little concerned for what that means for Baby Doc committing adequate resources to the team. Because in the MLB scheme of things, a $7 million risk is almost nothing.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

was still under contract? he cannot be making enough to matter, so I guess they thought he will have some value in Lakeland

As much as people like to make fun of him (particularly for his ample shape), it's always possible that he's not the problem and that the problems stem more from the top

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

If risking $7 million on a guy likely to rebound, which would make the salary worth it, is a major concern because there's a possibility he won't—if the money is the reason they don't do it—then we should be a little concerned for what that means for Baby Doc committing adequate resources to the team. Because in the MLB scheme of things, a $7 million risk is almost nothing.

Even if it is fully guaranteed, as Ed pointed out.

Additionally:

1) I don't care about the money. 

2) $7 mill is a pittance in MLB terms... as chas points out.

3) I firmly believe that any commitment to Candy in no way, shape, or form, abrogates further salary commitments to improve this team. Not in general, and not specifically to the IF (Correa or otherwise...).

I think it is incorrect to say that $7 million is irrelevant.  It doesn't matter that Ilitch can afford it, of course he can.  But he is likely to give a Harris a fixed budget and $7 million could be as much as 5% of the total.  That's a lot of commitment for one guy of dubious value.

The Chadd news is the best news since the Avila firing, its amazing how a guy who's always had an important position in regards to drafting and player development was able to hang on for 20 years when those 20 years produced only 1 star player under his watch and very few even consistently plus players.