2022-23 Detroit Tigers Offseason Thread

chasfh

If we had an in house replacement that I was confident in could match Candy then sure dump him but I'm not. Let's not forget that Candy had well over an .800 OPS his previous 200 games prior to this year and led the league in doubles just last year. Also it will be his age 29 season next year so still in his prime years.

I just don't see anybody on the FA market for his price or in house that has any better of chance of putting up a plus season than Candy. 

Edited by RandyMarsh
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

If we had an in house replacement that I was confident in could match Candy then sure dump him but I'm not. Let's not forget that Candy had well over an .800 OPS his previous 200 games prior to this year and led the league in doubles just last year. Also it will be his age 29 season next year so still in his prime years.

I just don't see anybody on the FA market for his price or in house that has any better of chance of putting up a plus season than Candy. 

That's all true but it isn't just his bat that I'm not thrilled about, it's his glove too.  I don't want to bet 5% of the payroll on him.

6 hours ago, 1984Echoes said:

IMO:

We can do both. The Tigers can offer arbitration if they believe he is redeemable and has some kind of future value... AND the team can just as quickly move on from him as soon as they find a better option. Let's just say that the better option, for whatever reason, does not turn up until January or February (late FA signing, trade, whatever...); there should be no impediment to moving on from Jeimer.

To one of Chas's earlier points: there are teams out there that have a need and will certainly look at Jeimer as a candidate. He does not have ZERO value out on the market despite what anyone thinks of him here... Harris "should" be able to trade him at any point in time, as long as he hasn't destroyed his 2023 value (medically, atrocious start to 2023 in which February will have revealed nothing to that point, or otherwise, etc.).

Excellent points.

What positions do we attempt to upgrade?  C, 2B, 3B and LF are the opportunities.  

C—I’d be surprised if we go big here.  Haase, Jake Rogers and a Garneau-type outsider will likely be in the mix.

2B—I think this is solved by getting a new SS and sliding Baez over.

LF—likely achieved through free agency (Benintendi or Nimmo)? Either would become our lead off hitter.

3B—could be one of Candy or Schoop, or someone outside the org.  Likely every option would be a stopgap.

8 hours ago, bobrob2004 said:

Well, not extreme.  This team has been a failure for years now, why keep the failure around?  Everyone is calculating the $$/value to see if it's economical for Candelario to come back.  But what if the problem is mentality?  What if the problem cannot be seen in the stats?  This isn't a simulation, this is real people.  Get players that fit the team dynamic that Harris wants.  Does that include Candelario?  Maybe, maybe not.  But you can't see that in the stats.  The Tigers haven't had a winning season with Candelario on the team.  Maybe he's part of the problem.  

He very well may be part of the problem or not part of a solution.  He’s been Jeckyll and Hyde in his career.

It was said somewheres in this thread, if the new Tiger personnel believe he can be fixed, then, sure, keep him.  But that will likely be done through arbitration, not a DFA and lower salary deal.

I love what Scott Harris is doing so far.    It was an advantage to not elevate someone and turn to the outside.  He doesn't owe anyone here.............Results-based business.   Look at their hitting..........Look at their drafts over 20 years........Look at the highly abnormal amount of pitching injuries..............All those areas needed a total reset.      THIS is the real rebuild, not what's on the field.   

1 hour ago, Tenacious D said:

What positions do we attempt to upgrade?  C, 2B, 3B and LF are the opportunities.  

C—I’d be surprised if we go big here.  Haase, Jake Rogers and a Garneau-type outsider will likely be in the mix.

2B—I think this is solved by getting a new SS and sliding Baez over.

LF—likely achieved through free agency (Benintendi or Nimmo)? Either would become our lead off hitter.

3B—could be one of Candy or Schoop, or someone outside the org.  Likely every option would be a stopgap.

C- Christian Vasquez 2/yr free agent signing

2B- Johnathon Schoop - under contract and plays good defense. Hope for rebound.

LF - Jason Dominquez - part of your idea ( trade Jackson Jobe / Haase / Soto / Lange for Dominquez, Donaldson, Peraza and Hicks)Frees up $$$ for NY to sign Judge and we move Baez to 2B in 2024 if Peraza sticks.

3B- Josh Donaldson - Your idea

7 hours ago, chasfh said:

If risking $7 million on a guy likely to rebound, which would make the salary worth it, is a major concern because there's a possibility he won't—if the money is the reason they don't do it—then we should be a little concerned for what that means for Baby Doc committing adequate resources to the team. Because in the MLB scheme of things, a $7 million risk is almost nothing.

I agree with this 100%.

3 hours ago, chasfh said:

FWIW Cody said on his pod that he thinks Jeimer will get non-tendered, and who knows, someone might have already told him so and he just can’t say. Or not.

Cody has made some comments in the past on his podcast that seem to put him leaning toward the "non-tender" category, iirc.

Edited by mtutiger

I am expecting a lot of player movement this off-season, but not blockbuster trades or huge free agent signings.  With all the disappointing seasons from hitters and all the injured pitchers, they have little to offer and they'll probably want to wait until the young pitchers are ready before they know exactly what direction to take in big free agent signings.  I expect the roster will be a lot different next year, just not big names. 

I think we'll see them get rid of fringe guys like Reyes and the Castros who don't get on base, don't have any real power or give them plus defense and replace them with players with different skill sets.  Maybe a low batting average guy who walks and has some power, or a defense first guy who can draw some walks.

I think the one place where we might see a semi-big name is the starting rotation.  They are going to need some innings and might sign a pitcher to a 2-3 year deal.  

7 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

I am expecting a lot of player movement this off-season, but not blockbuster trades or huge free agent signings.  With all the disappointing seasons from hitters and all the injured pitchers, they have little to offer and they'll probably want to wait until the young pitchers are ready before they know exactly what direction to take in big free agent signings.  I expect the roster will be a lot different next year, just not big names. 

I think we'll see them get rid of fringe guys like Reyes and the Castros who don't get on base, don't have any real power or give them plus defense and replace them with players with different skill sets.  Maybe a low batting average guy who walks and has some power, or a defense first guy who can draw some walks.

I think the one place where we might see a semi-big name is the starting rotation.  They are going to need some innings and might sign a pitcher to a 2-3 year deal.  

I think this is right. With the shift ending that's double the reason not to hang on these typical Avila collection guys. I've said before I think the Tigers' FO talk over the years about up the alley doubles hitters has been misguided at its origin and they need to look for 2nd tier guys that at least have occasional power. It's not a homer unfriendly park if they'd stop accumulating guys that can't pull or hit the ball hard. Basically fewer Castros and more Haases!  I would think ending the shift should help put a nail in the coffin of that thinking even if Harris had had any inclinations that way.