2022-23 Detroit Tigers Offseason Thread

chasfh

I know nothing about Rob Metzler per se, but he does have fairly extensive scouting-for-the-draft experience with one of the most innovative acquirers of talent in the game, so based strictly on resume, I approve.

Edited by chasfh
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Dan Gilmore said:

It will be nice to have insight the Rays perspective on the Paredes deal.

Mixed bag I think.  If you ignore an insane 11 game streak the results were disappointing, to me at least.  I was hoping for a lot more OBP than from his Tigers career, and he didn't settle into a steady defensive role.  He's still very young though.

Per the Locked On Tigers podcast, Tampa's drafts during Metzler's time in charge of the amateur draft is 8th in terms of WAR.  This is something I eyeballed a little bit last night, but only Tampa vs Detroit.  I don't think the difference there seemed to be much, but again, this was just glancing at it a little bit at baseball reference drafts year by year. 

And that's only a part of building a team.  It doesn't take into account trades, free agency, international signings, etc.  So, for instance, Jake Cronenworth was originally a Tampa draftee.  So how do/should you roll his major league success into that?

Additionally, Harris is said to have been impressed with some of the already in place scouting folks (I think that comes from Stavenhagen, but it was mentioned on Locked on Tigers).

Edited by casimir

56 minutes ago, casimir said:

Per the Locked On Tigers podcast, Tampa's drafts during Metzler's time in charge of the amateur draft is 8th in terms of WAR.  This is something I eyeballed a little bit last night, but only Tampa vs Detroit.  I don't think the difference there seemed to be much, but again, this was just glancing at it a little bit at baseball reference drafts year by year. 

It stands to reason that one consideration when comparing the two in terms of WAR is that Tampa has been generally been drafting much lower in the first round versus the Tigers, who have spent the last 5 years at the top of the draft.

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

It stands to reason that one consideration when comparing the two in terms of WAR is that Tampa has been generally been drafting much lower in the first round versus the Tigers, who have spent the last 5 years at the top of the draft.

Absolutely spot on observation.

2 hours ago, casimir said:

And that's only a part of building a team.  It doesn't take into account trades, free agency, international signings, etc.  So, for instance, Jake Cronenworth was originally a Tampa draftee.  So how do/should you roll his major league success into that?

Additionally, Harris is said to have been impressed with some of the already in place scouting folks (I think that comes from Stavenhagen, but it was mentioned on Locked on Tigers).

That just shows how much of a crapshoot the draft is.  Pick any random team and a random year and the results are usually pretty pedestrian. Here's what I did just now on BR, all random, the best player picked:

2013 Astros - Tony Kemp

2010 Twins - Eddie Rosario

2015 Rockies - Brendan Rogers

2012 A's - Matt Olsen (good pick, #47 overall, comp pick for losing DeJesus)

I think our old friend Biggs was right with his theory that if you can get a Tony Clark in your draft then it was a very good draft.  He wasn't anything special, solid player but that's about all you can hope for.  Not every draft has a franchise player like a Trout or Verlander or ARod.  

Metzler took over the draft in 2016 and first 2 years are blah. Rays have so much churn of both major and minor leaguers, hard to follow the threads of player acquisition.

2016 Tigers take Manning (1) and Funk (4); no 2 or 3; B Garcia (6); Schreiber (15) breaks out with Bos

Rays take Josh Lowe 4 picks after Manning; Frailey (2) traded to Seattle (Zunio); Nate Lowe (13) breaks out after trade to Tex; draft but do not sign Z Thompson (11)

2017 Tigers take Faedo (1); failures! abound; Vest (12); D Carlton (34)

Rays – 4th overall McKay (1) always injured; Rasmussen (1) does not sign; Walls (3)

2018 Tigers take Mize (1/1) and Skubal (9); Meadows (2), Clemens (3) and Hill (26)

Rays - Liberatore (1) traded for Randy A; McClanahan (1); Ryan (7) traded to Twins for 2 months of N Cruz, breaks out with MN; Bradley (5) is their #1 prospect

2019 Tigers take Greene (1); Kreidler (4); Carpenter (19); Brieske (27); and Hess (7), Bergner (9) and White (26) all could get a shot in 2023.

Rays take G Jones (1), Goss (1), and Johnson (1). Doxakis (2), White (6), Wisely (15) Murray (23) are popping up on top prospects lists.

2020, 21, 22 – too early (Rays took Ryan Cermak @ 71 in 2022 with traded pick)

So the Rays have fared better, but the huge difference is that the draft (and J2) provides the fuel for all their incredible trades.

Edited by RatkoVarda