2022-23 Detroit Tigers Offseason Thread

chasfh

2 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

If you give them a $200 million contract, their financial future will be fine.  

almost any baseball player who gets to arbitration should have enough money to live on with some sensible investments.

its now $700k per year at the minimum.  invest that in some rental properties and you have a nice nest egg for your future.

but young people gonna do what young people gonna do...

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, oblong said:

are you saying if a guy gets to $700K  a year they should be set via a nest egg?  I disagree.  Half of that is gone for taxes and other fees.   I don't think Eric Haase is set for life if he never plays another MLB game.

He did say invest in rental properties.  So that’s an income investment.  The other side of that is that you are the feudal overlord for your renters.

1 hour ago, Jim Cowan said:

Get serious, my first $700,000 is going to go on gold chains and pickup trucks.

Too bad you're not in 'Murica where your first $700K could go to gold chains, a pickup truck, a gilded bible collection and an AR-15/ Glock/ body armor/ nuclear fallout shelter/ military weapons collection.

So... "deprived" ... north of the border.

2 hours ago, oblong said:

are you saying if a guy gets to $700K  a year they should be set via a nest egg?  I disagree.  Half of that is gone for taxes and other fees.   I don't think Eric Haase is set for life if he never plays another MLB game.

no.  i said if a guy plays on the minimum for three years and gets to his arb years he could be set for life if he invests his money well, or even not so well.

three years at 700k plus one year at a slight raise over 700k?  you could totally live on that if you invested wisely.  buy a franchise.  invest in some properties.  heck, invest in some properties and then get a coaching gig.

but you'd have to live an average lifestyle as a ballplayer, which many young people dont do.

i have a relative who is a boxer.  boxed a few fights.  made it to tv as the designated victim for a younger fighter a few times.  made an ok payday.  then used the money to buy a gym in mexico and now he trains fighters, but has some income from the gym.  he'll never be rich, but he's got an income stream for himself.

ballplayers will make much much more money than that and can use it to set themselves up for a comfortable life if they want.

30 minutes ago, Shinzaki said:

Play 10 years and you reach the pension max of 90k per year which you can draw on when you're 62.  Assuming you pile social security on on top of that, you could live a decent life w/o any savings or investments from our MLB earnings

The max pension draw after 10 years of service time is currently  $220,000 er year. BUT, just 6% of players ever make it to 10 years service time. 

After 43 days service time, you qualify for the lowest  partial pension, which currently  is $9,000 at age 62. 

After 1 day of service time, you qualify for lifetime medical benefits.

3 hours ago, CMU97 said:

The max pension draw after 10 years of service time is currently  $220,000 er year. BUT, just 6% of players ever make it to 10 years service time. 

After 43 days service time, you qualify for the lowest  partial pension, which currently  is $9,000 at age 62. 

After 1 day of service time, you qualify for lifetime medical benefits.

Wow.  That ain't chicken feed.

7 hours ago, buddha said:

no.  i said if a guy plays on the minimum for three years and gets to his arb years he could be set for life if he invests his money well, or even not so well.

three years at 700k plus one year at a slight raise over 700k?  you could totally live on that if you invested wisely.  buy a franchise.  invest in some properties.  heck, invest in some properties and then get a coaching gig.

but you'd have to live an average lifestyle as a ballplayer, which many young people dont do.

i have a relative who is a boxer.  boxed a few fights.  made it to tv as the designated victim for a younger fighter a few times.  made an ok payday.  then used the money to buy a gym in mexico and now he trains fighters, but has some income from the gym.  he'll never be rich, but he's got an income stream for himself.

ballplayers will make much much more money than that and can use it to set themselves up for a comfortable life if they want.

That I agree with.  Jacob Turner runs a wealth management company. He writes about this.  But he’s also reasonable. 

but it takes some careful planning up front. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, oblong said:

That I agree with.  Jacob Turner runs a wealth management company. He writes about this.  But he’s also reasonable. 

but it takes some careful planning up front. 

Turner said most of his professional income came from his signing bonus, which I suspect most players who make it to the show likely receive, too. Of course, those vary widely based on which pick and round they were drafted in.

8 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

Turner said most of his professional income came from his signing bonus, which I suspect most players who make it to the show likely receive, too. Of course, those vary widely based on which pick and round they were drafted in.

Most players who make the show? No. Turner got a 4.7M bonus and (now not allowed) a major league deal with some guarantees. A very small fraction of draftees get that kind of bonus.

Seeing the picture of the first installment of his bonus puts it in perspective.  $1.9M.  Nearly half taken in taxes.

A friend of mine use to work in a check clearance outfit or a big local bank, which the Tigers used.  He came across two players in the early 90's.  One was $50K and the other was $80K.  That's twice a week.  Even that small amount still seems massive as these were not high caliber players and it was like 1993 or something.

34 minutes ago, oblong said:

Seeing the picture of the first installment of his bonus puts it in perspective.  $1.9M.  Nearly half taken in taxes.

A friend of mine use to work in a check clearance outfit or a big local bank, which the Tigers used.  He came across two players in the early 90's.  One was $50K and the other was $80K.  That's twice a week.  Even that small amount still seems massive as these were not high caliber players and it was like 1993 or something.

What's twice a week?