2022-23 Detroit Tigers Offseason Thread

chasfh

2 hours ago, Edman85 said:

Most players who make the show? No. Turner got a 4.7M bonus and (now not allowed) a major league deal with some guarantees. A very small fraction of draftees get that kind of bonus.

Yeah—I know most don’t get that. Which is why I referenced round or pick dependent. For example, the slot for the last pick in the 10th round (316) is $148K.  Not chump change, either, but not life changing.

I assumed, though, that the majority of guys who make it to the majors are selected in the first 10 rounds of the MLB draft (excluding international signees). If true, then most have some signing bonus, in addition to their MLB salaries.

(of course given how low minor league pay is, they probably use their signing bonus money to supplement until getting promoted).

12 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

Yeah—I know most don’t get that. Which is why I referenced round or pick dependent. For example, the slot for the last pick in the 10th round (316) is $148K.  Not chump change, either, but not life changing.

I assumed, though, that the majority of guys who make it to the majors are selected in the first 10 rounds of the MLB draft (excluding international signees). If true, then most have some signing bonus, in addition to their MLB salaries.

(of course given how low minor league pay is, they probably use their signing bonus money to supplement until getting promoted).

10th round picks rarely get slot, too. The newest CBA curtailed some of the really low senior sign deals, but under the slotting system, it's not uncommon to see some seniors popped in rounds 7-10 and getting a 4 digit bonus.

Just now, Edman85 said:

10th round picks rarely get slot, too. The newest CBA curtailed some of the really low senior sign deals, but under the slotting system, it's not uncommon to see some seniors popped in rounds 7-10 and getting a 4 digit bonus.

Yes, but they are eligible.  Probably moot, cause I’m guessing that the majority of seniors who get drafted in those rounds never make it to the majors, or just get a sniff.

Getting back to the original thesis, a players signing bonus, which can vary significantly, should be factored into their overall compensation when discussing whether or not they can live comfortably after playing.

16 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

Remember when Manfred said minor league players don't need unionization, or more pay, or labor protections, or anything along those lines because they all have that sweet, sweet bonus money they got when they were drafted, or signed as teenage AFAs?

What a dick.

Welp, I calculated the median initial signing bonus of all the players on the Tigers 40 man roster (49 total, 60 day IL included)... A lot of the lower profile Latin American UDFA's don't have bonus info available, but safe to assume it is below the median, so I marked them as zero, same effect.

It came out to a nice round number: $500,000

Highest draft signing bonus on the roster: Spencer Torkelson

Lowest draft signing bonus on the roster: Beau Brieske ($75,000)

Highest international free agent signing bonus on the roster: Luis Garcia ($2,500,000)

Lowest known international free agent signing bonus on the roster: Harold Castro ($29,000)

Unknown undrafted free agent bonuses: Luis Castillo, Jose Cisnero, Angel De Jesus, Jason Foley, Rony Garcia, Elvin Rodriguez, Jonathan Schoop, Gregory Soto

6 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Speaking of signing bonuses and such got me thinking about international signings, does anybody know if we have anybody of note lined up to sign this coming signing period? 

Not sure, but I'll say this. The Harris/Metzler regime likely won't have many if any fingerprints on this class.

6 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

Not sure, but I'll say this. The Harris/Metzler regime likely won't have many if any fingerprints on this class.

I did see a couple weeks ago the top  player and 2 of the top 5 in either this year's class or next year's were Venezuelan. That would be the Tigers luck that they finally cut ties with Avila and co.(who supposedly had strong Venezuelan connections) right when the Venezuelan pipeline starts to get hot again after about a decade of being down.

Regarding podcasts, I've thought about doing one, but several things stand in the way.

• I don't think I would stick to it.
  • Who the hell am I? Seriously, so many of my gripes with Tigers pods i tried out and unsubscribed is it is people without any more knowledge than me. I don't want to be that person who isn't enlightening others. The bar for the podcast space should be pretty high. This is a big reason why I stopped blogging 10+ years ago. If all I am doing is regurgitating stuff from behind paywalls, that's not only theft but it is just not adding anything from me. I get perturbed by people flooding the zone, because that tends to be misinformation central. I don't want to contribute misinformation.
  • The areas of baseball I do have more knowledge than others tend to be the mundane areas, which are unknown to many for a reason: because they are boring and mundane. The audio format isn't the best for that. Not sure any format is the best for that.
  • I'll get cancelled fast.

3 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

I did see a couple weeks ago the top  player and 2 of the top 5 in either this year's class or next year's were Venezuelan. That would be the Tigers luck that they finally cut ties with Avila and co.(who supposedly had strong Venezuelan connections) right when the Venezuelan pipeline starts to get hot again after about a decade of being down.

They kept their international scouting in place, so the ties are still there. Moore and Garcia are still employed. Metzler is just overseeing them. The contracts are just agreed to years ahead of time, so unless Metzler comes in and pulls the rug on some of those agreements, it's just too late for him to do anything.

And it isn't like the Venezuelan pipeline has been overly strong for the Tigers lately. Who's the last player they signed from Venezuela who made the majors? Harold Castro?

5 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

They kept their international scouting in place, so the ties are still there. Moore and Garcia are still employed. Metzler is just overseeing them. The contracts are just agreed to years ahead of time, so unless Metzler comes in and pulls the rug on some of those agreements, it's just too late for him to do anything.

And it isn't like the Venezuelan pipeline has been overly strong for the Tigers lately. Who's the last player they signed from Venezuela who made the majors? Harold Castro?

That's good to know, I'm ignorant on the whole subject so I really dont know how the process works but I just remember hearing that the Tigers had strong Venezuelan ties but Venezuela baseball has been down for the past decade which is one of the many reasons why the Tigers system has been bad outside of the few top picks. 

1 hour ago, Edman85 said:

Regarding podcasts, I've thought about doing one, but several things stand in the way.

• Who the hell am I? Seriously, so many of my gripes with Tigers pods i tried out and unsubscribed is it is people without any more knowledge than me. I don't want to be that person who isn't enlightening others. The bar for the podcast space should be pretty high. This is a big reason why I stopped blogging 10+ years ago. If all I am doing is regurgitating stuff from behind paywalls, that's not only theft but it is just not adding anything from me. I get perturbed by people flooding the zone, because that tends to be misinformation central. I don't want to contribute misinformation.
  • The areas of baseball I do have more knowledge than others tend to be the mundane areas, which are unknown to many for a reason: because they are boring and mundane. The audio format isn't the best for that. Not sure any format is the best for that.

I listen to two of them (Turn Corner and Woodward Tigers).... the former tends to have more actual inside info which makes it a must listen (despite the BBQ tales and frequent college stories, which I tend to tune out on anyway), the latter tends to give more fan-based perspective, which I find interesting enough to hang with. Although I tend to disagree with them a decent amount of the time and think they aren't that much more knowledgeable than anyone here.

The blogging world for the team leaves a lot to be desired.... Motor City Bengals in particular is pretty much textbook for your second point, it tends to be all speculation and none of it particularly knowledgeable.

Edited by mtutiger

That's why I use twitter and this site.... I can watch the games and listen just like anyone.  I played baseball so I like to think I know a little bit but nothing special.  I never ever claim to be an expert.  But I know who I like to listen to and which opinions and insights mean something to me so I like to hear their takes. And I appreciate the extra level of analysis some will go to with regard to the advance numbers or observations.  Why try to reinvent the wheel?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Edman85 said:

I would listen to your podcast.  Just don't spend the first 10 minutes talking about yourself like I've heard on many podcasts.  You need to get right to the subject matter of interest.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There is one podcast with two hosts, that I won’t name. One of the hosts really struggles enunciating and it’s really hard to listen to (not to mention frequent production issues). Both are reasonably knowledgeable, but just because you know something about the Tigers doesn’t mean you’ll be good at discussing it.  

42 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

There is one podcast with two hosts, that I won’t name. One of the hosts really struggles enunciating and it’s really hard to listen to (not to mention frequent production issues). Both are reasonably knowledgeable, but just because you know something about the Tigers doesn’t mean you’ll be good at discussing it.  

The one I am thinking of that fits this description added a third.

12 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

I would listen to your podcast.  Just don't spend the first 10 minutes talking about yourself like I've heard on many podcasts.  You need to get right to the subject matter of interest.   

Turn the Corner is by far the best of the bunch, but they are particularly bad with dedicating time to things other than the Tigers.