2022-23 Detroit Tigers Offseason Thread

chasfh

8 hours ago, mtutiger said:

Turn the Corner is by far the best of the bunch, but they are particularly bad with dedicating time to things other than the Tigers.

Yes. College drunk stories aren't interesting, at all, bar none. Stavenhagen is good for a tidbit or two every month or so, but the other guy contributes nothing and is random Twitter fanboy.

The random links of players to past Tigers via teammates last year was kinda dumb when you can just do Miggy to Inge to Higginson to Tram/Whataker to Mickey Stanley to Kaline for anybody in the last 70 years.

Edited by Edman85

27 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Not sure if it's been mentioned or not but Tigers just hired Mark Conner to be the new Scouting Director, he has been with the Padres since 2010. Perhaps @Edman85or @microline133have some information about him?

link to freep story

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/mlb/tigers/2022/10/29/detroit-tigers-mark-conner-scouting-director-san-diego-padres/69591321007/

Conner served as the Padres' scouting director for seven seasons, from 2015-21, before being reassigned to the role of special assistant to general manager A.J. Preller in September 2021. The Tigers have not confirmed Conner's hire.

On 10/28/2022 at 10:17 AM, RandyMarsh said:

Speaking of signing bonuses and such got me thinking about international signings, does anybody know if we have anybody of note lined up to sign this coming signing period? 

After all the talk on the old board and this about how absent the Tigers always were on the international front, remember how excited everyone on the board was when the Avila regime finally started throwing millions of Ilitch dollars at Dominican 16-year-olds in the past few years? Ehhhhhh I’m not so sure I’m excited about that anymore …

• Like 1

On 10/28/2022 at 1:06 PM, oblong said:

That's why I use twitter and this site.... I can watch the games and listen just like anyone.  I played baseball so I like to think I know a little bit but nothing special.  I never ever claim to be an expert.  But I know who I like to listen to and which opinions and insights mean something to me so I like to hear their takes. And I appreciate the extra level of analysis some will go to with regard to the advance numbers or observations.  Why try to reinvent the wheel?

I rely a lot on Twitter and the site as well. I also like certain national guys and outlets because they’re in neither the fan game nor the access game. Cody is the best of the local guys but he has limits as to how candid he can be. I think we benefit from him being an outsider, no history with the team, and that he’s with a national organization the Tigers practically must extend access to. 

10 hours ago, chasfh said:

Is that a promotion or a demotion? What was behind the move? 

The Padres made a lot of panic moves last year when they fell apart. I don't know where this fits into the scope, but they clearly wanted somebody else running their draft. I'm guessing Conner was under contract so he got reassigned. The fact that he left when offered an Amateur Scouting Director job tells me he viewed it as a demotion.

On 10/29/2022 at 5:23 PM, Edman85 said:

Yes. College drunk stories aren't interesting, at all, bar none. Stavenhagen is good for a tidbit or two every month or so, but the other guy contributes nothing and is random Twitter fanboy.

And here we go, the first 5 minutes of today's pod are devoted to Taylor Swift.

The app I use has a 45 second skip forward.  Greatest thing ever.

Even the big podcasts do that.  I like interview podcasts and Smartless is great for getting right to it.  Conan's will have banter.  Marc Maron will spend about 7 minutes  in "therapy" telling us how he feels...

23 minutes ago, oblong said:

The app I use has a 45 second skip forward.  Greatest thing ever.

Even the big podcasts do that.  I like interview podcasts and Smartless is great for getting right to it.  Conan's will have banter.  Marc Maron will spend about 7 minutes  in "therapy" telling us how he feels...

Conan's banter is at least funny. His is on my feed because he is funny, so I don't mind funny banter.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I subscribe to Pod Save America and the first one to three minutes are chocked with ads, so I set up my Overcast app to start already one minute into it. Then I may have to hit the 30--> button anywhere from one to four times to get to the midi tune intro.

You are the McGyver of broadcast media hacks.  Can you now turn that initiative and innovation to curing cancer or climate change?  The world thanks you in advance.

1 hour ago, theroundsquare said:

The skip button is essential.  I listen to other pods from The Athletic®️ and I've learned how many times I need to press skip to get past the gambling ads at the beginning of EVERY DAMN SINGLE FUCKING ONE. It's a lot easier to ignore baloney when its at the end of a podcast.

The Athletic ads are brutal. Not just the gambling, but the ever-changing supplements they push. It's what I imagine Alex Jones podcast ads sound like. Mushroom coffee, gluten free this, vegan that...

Extracurriculars about Taylor and strip clubs aside, they finally kinda landed on the conclusion that they needed to reach on catcher: as unsettled and not good as the position is, this team has much bigger fish to fry. At least on the surface.

Harris may have different ideas or may not have an order in which to upgrade certain positions, but on paper at least, catcher seems sort of down the list and they could live with some combo of Haase/Rogers + low level signing if they had to.

Edited by mtutiger

40 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Extracurriculars about Taylor and strip clubs aside, they finally kinda landed on the conclusion that they needed to reach on catcher: as unsettled and not good as the position is, this team has much bigger fish to fry. At least on the surface.

Harris may have different ideas or may not have an order in which to upgrade certain positions, but on paper at least, catcher seems sort of down the list and they could live with some combo of Haase/Rogers + low level signing if they had to.

I agree with this.  The Salvador Perez' and J.T. Realmuto's are the exception at C--most can't hit a lick.  I think you use next year to see how Rogers can do getting significant playing time with Haase, and evaluate from there.  With any luck, the two college catchers in our system (Dingler at Toledo, Crouch at Erie) will show some improvement and possibly become part of a longer term plan.  C is not an area I would prioritize this offseason.  Fix SS and one of the corner outfield positions.  Lots of good FA options at both positions.

I think catcher is priority number one. Trade for someone solid defensively and can hit at lest some. Better to have consistency behind the plate for our pitchers. Good teams have that. 68 Feehan 84 Parrish etc. Houston has Malandano. St Lou Molina. Great Yankee teams Posada. 
it’s really important. Musical chairs 🪑 won’t cut it. Someone here showed Haase can’t catch Langes curveball so he can’t catch good stuff. 

1 hour ago, Edman85 said:

Mitch Garver is a catcher I stumbled across who could be a good buy low. Had an injury plagued year, was Wally Pipped by Heim. Seems likely to be non-tendered.

Garver makes a lot of sense, he's definitely odd man out for the Rangers. Particularly if they plan on using Sam Huff at catcher (versus moving him to another position). 

I don't have a great sense of his defense and game calling though....