2022-23 Detroit Tigers Offseason Thread

chasfh

4 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

It's the model. Owners are strongly copy-cat to what is currently producing winners. Houston's success is an example of letting guys walk/not over paying and still winning. Also interesting that on balance on the the board, Avila's obsession with building through pitching seems in disrepute, but again, Houston is a strongly pitching first franchise. That doesn't absolve Avila for not doing a very good job, but it's alway important to keep the evalution of strategy and execution in their separate lanes.

Sure, but can owners copy-cat the Astros in time for every one of them to tell Correa over the next few months, “thanks but no thanks, we have this 21-year-old rookie that we think will be an All-Star for us this year”?

Side point on Houston: they are also still top eight In baseball offensively, so I think of them as pretty well-rounded.

19 hours ago, chasfh said:

Players almost always take the years, but I didn’t say anything abut years. I’m talking about dollars. If Tigers offer $37 million and the Yankees offer $35 million, which offer is he taking?

The Yankees. He will easily make up the difference in endorsements.

1 minute ago, chasfh said:

I wonder what Javier Baez will say when Carlos Correa calls and asks him how he likes playing in Detroit?

Can A.J. Hinch still opt out?      

Javy Baez:   Man, Carlos, I had a hard time with the fans in Detroit

Carlos:   Yeah, I hear that Javy.........I saw you play this year,  maybe its not all on them. 

I think all of this debate has been about how attractive Detroit is as a free agent destination.  I would argue the decision for a player is less about recent W-L record, because that can change and I think the Tigers front office changes demonstrate that the organization is committed to winning.

The bigger issue are perceptions around Detroit itself.  From the outside looking in, Detroit, on the surface, is probably not an appealing destination.  Associations with crime, bankrupt city, automotive industry, cold climate, etc... might be difficult for players, and as important, their spouses/significant others.  Of course, those of us who live here realize that there is a significant gap between perceptions and reality, and that has been proven as most players who come here, don't want to leave (Miggy, JV, V-Mart, JD Martinez, etc...).

At the end of the day, we might miss out on a player or two that we're interested in, but I don't see us as being at a big disadvantage.  I do think we're likely in an overpay situation (either in dollars/years), but it's probably always been that way for prospective free agents, who are in demand and have choices.

10 hours ago, Jim Cowan said:

I think that Correa will be remembered as the greatest f-up of Boras' career.

what has he screwed up? Correa's signing set a record for largest AAV for a free agent position player. Now free of the QO, he is again aiming at the Lindor contract, as the youngest (still) FA option. 

2 hours ago, chasfh said:

How would the Houston Astros, arguably the greatest developmental franchise in the history of baseball, with their ability to switch out Hall-of-Fame-track players with suitable replacements, make someone like Correa less valuable to other teams?

I think the Dodgers would say hold my beer... since they pretty much created developing ball players

Detroit is an excellent destination for any player. Climate is a non factor since they play in the summer and can have their permanent residence anywhere. We’re only talking 81 home dates so why do you have to move the family for that. Yes it’s over 5 months but so are road games. The fans are supportive and travel from Detroit is easier than cross country trips. 

Just fix the fences to end the mostly unproven negative association and pay competitive salaries. 

Pay them they will come. 

1 hour ago, RatkoVarda said:

what has he screwed up? Correa's signing set a record for largest AAV for a free agent position player. Now free of the QO, he is again aiming at the Lindor contract, as the youngest (still) FA option. 

I think that aiming for the Lindor contract is the screw-up, it just isn't there and he had to take 1/35 plus 2 options that would never be exercised unless he was in a coma.  I know, never say never, there is always one stupid team out there, but no one is ever going to commit 10 years to Correa.

3 hours ago, chasfh said:

Sure, but can owners copy-cat the Astros in time for every one of them to tell Correa over the next few months, “thanks but no thanks, we have this 21-year-old rookie that we think will be an All-Star for us this year”?

Side point on Houston: they are also still top eight In baseball offensively, so I think of them as pretty well-rounded.

Well, I have no beef with Carlos getting paid. I am skeptical it will be by Detroit so it's purely a rooting interest. :classic_wink:

48 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Well, I have no beef with Carlos getting paid. I am skeptical it will be by Detroit so it's purely a rooting interest. :classic_wink:

I'm pretty sure you have nothing to worry about. 😁

On the 1 in 100 odds he does end up here, though, I'll root for him!

5 hours ago, Edman85 said:

Seems like a good hire... I wonder if he bumps Juan Nieves or if he comes on as an additional member of the coaching staff

6 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

I think all of this debate has been about how attractive Detroit is as a free agent destination.  I would argue the decision for a player is less about recent W-L record, because that can change and I think the Tigers front office changes demonstrate that the organization is committed to winning.

The bigger issue are perceptions around Detroit itself.  From the outside looking in, Detroit, on the surface, is probably not an appealing destination.  Associations with crime, bankrupt city, automotive industry, cold climate, etc... might be difficult for players, and as important, their spouses/significant others.  Of course, those of us who live here realize that there is a significant gap between perceptions and reality, and that has been proven as most players who come here, don't want to leave (Miggy, JV, V-Mart, JD Martinez, etc...).

At the end of the day, we might miss out on a player or two that we're interested in, but I don't see us as being at a big disadvantage.  I do think we're likely in an overpay situation (either in dollars/years), but it's probably always been that way for prospective free agents, who are in demand and have choices.

having been born in detroit, raised in detroit, moved away and to another city, and traveled all over the country, i can tell you that detroit will never be a top destination because detroit is not a nice city.  it kind of sucks as a city.  and the taxes are high.  it has to be one of the bottom 3 or 4 mlb cities in the country.

detroit will get players like everyone else: it will offer the most money and (maybe one day) a chance to win.

but the city will never sell anyone.  be honest.

8 minutes ago, buddha said:

having been born in detroit, raised in detroit, moved away and to another city, and traveled all over the country, i can tell you that detroit will never be a top destination because detroit is not a nice city.  it kind of sucks as a city.  and the taxes are high.  it has to be one of the bottom 3 or 4 mlb cities in the country.

detroit will get players like everyone else: it will offer the most money and (maybe one day) a chance to win.

Most no-trade lists correlate pretty well with tax rates, when you look at it. Teams need permission to trade somebody to the Dodgers or Giants, but Mariners, Rays, Rangers are fair game.

Related, a lot of unique deals are jock tax dodges. Liam Hendriks's current deal, for example. You can do things with signing bonuses and spreading them out or allowing them to be taxed in a home state instead of the state the games are played.

24 minutes ago, buddha said:

Isn’t that what I said?

57 minutes ago, buddha said:

not entirely.  you said people that live here dont agree with the perception of detroit.  i think the perception of detroit as you described it is largely accurate.

There’s Detroit vs the suburbs.  Most professional athletes live In Birmingham, Grosse Pointe, Bloomfield Hills and all are great places to live.

I believe I alluded to this within the last week somewhere around here, but I do wonder what would have happened if we’d held onto certain players while letting others go. For instance, what if, through various circumstances, we would have kept Robbie Ray and not Daniel Norris? Would Norris be a Cy Young winner and a hundred-millionaire somewhere else while Ray scuffled along with a schlubby career here? I wonder whether players ever discuss winning lotto or dodging bullets like that with each other in private?

Edited by chasfh