2022-23 Detroit Tigers Offseason Thread

chasfh

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

You may not have a problem with his swing, and he himself may not have a problem with his swing, but the new front office had a problem with his swing, which is why they're forcing him even against his will to work with Melheuse.

yeah- there are any number of ways to get there quicker. it will be interesting to see how he looks this spring. Of course he didn't have any trouble getting healthy against AAA pitching, so he/Mehheuse need to drill into what aspect of the shift in pitching at MLB is the issue - break, velo, the high fastball, whatever it is that he sees more of that is enough to get him trapped in between too much. The whole 'problem' with hitting is trying to get quick enough to the ball to match the speed of the hitter's pitch recognition without giving up any shot at hittting for power.  If the vision piece isn't good enough, in the end there is nothing you can do mechanically. We just have to hope that isn't where he is.

Edited by gehringer_2

25 minutes ago, pyrotigers said:

Regardless of your political beliefs, it would be good if an executive wasn't liking conspiracy nonsense on his public account, yeah 

Oh well, he's probably only a gullible rube on this one issue, so it will be fine 

Yeah, there are some smart people I work with who go down those rabbit holes.

I worry about somebody who needs to have his finger on current technology or the scientific method getting duped by vendors and bringing in some technology that is a net negative. Something along those lines...

10 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

Things I don’t care about:

the political leanings of professional sports executives.

Fair, but there are some anti-science things in there as well... from a person who has promised to be at the cutting edge of technology and science. That's my only concern. If this was Metzler or Conner, I'd be less worried.

And it makes me curious about some of the rumblings from "outsiders" curious that player dev isn't boing overhauled. I thought maybe they had outdated info, but maybe they have some tips from this year driving their opinion.

Edited by Edman85

8 hours ago, oblong said:

Let’s just say he’s a fan of someone who, hat tip to @Edman85looks like Lee Corso. 

Marjorie Taylor Greene?  I know someone who likes her, but I think that's because he is a big time body builder.  I know of smart people who like Trump, but I don't know of any smart people that are into conspiracy theories.  I suppose they are out there. I don't really care about the politics of the Tigers front office though.    

19 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

Excited to see a healthy Turnbull come back.  He was pitching very well before his injury.

I hope that he didn't get to pitch in any competition this last season doesn't come back to bite the Tigers in terms of how long it takes him to re-establish command. The success rate for TJ is pretty high but the recovery path is still pretty variable. Not everyone can just hit their marks from the 1st time out post surgery like JV did. Some up and down like Wentz had is probably more typical....

Edited by gehringer_2

10 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

I hope that he didn't get to pitch in any competition this last season doesn't come back to bite the Tigers in terms of how long it takes him to re-establish command. The success rate for TJ is pretty high but the recovery path is still pretty variable. Not everyone can just hit their marks from the 1st time out post surgery like JV did. Some up and down like Wentz had is probably more typical....

Another thing to remember about Turnbull is that he was never a prospect, and has already turned 30. He could still come back strong but it'll be an uphill battle, especially since his K% was already trending down and his Savant card in general was already of sea of blue.

2 hours ago, casimir said:

Seems to make sense.  Add another catcher to the mix, too.

There are appear to be no left-handed-hitting infielders on the free agent market who are young, can hit, and play 2B or 3B, primarily, so if this is truly a thing, it's probably going to have to happen in a trade.

Also, since Jeimer is already a left-handed hitter, looks to me like the target might be more on Schoop's back.

12 minutes ago, chasfh said:

There are appear to be no left-handed-hitting infielders on the free agent market who are young, can hit, and play 2B or 3B, primarily, so if this is truly a thing, it's probably going to have to happen in a trade.

Also, since Jeimer is already a left-handed hitter, looks to me like the target might be more on Schoop's back.

Most years he's a better RHB though. '21 his platoon split was plus as a LHH (812/752) but that was the exception. His career platoon against RHP  is 707 which isn't much to write home about. Last year was down to 616 as compared to 680  as a RHB

2 hours ago, casimir said:

They're busy picking up that extra shift at Sears in the shoe department.

I still say the funniest line in Major League is when they call Lou about managing the team.

"Oh I don't know..... I got a guy on the other line about some white walls, I'll call you back"

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

agree that is typical, but since Turnbull wasn't rushed back, similar to JV, will that help expedite his return to form?  Spencer basically sat out a full year and a half, so hopefully his offseason program will help.

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

They might just go for a one or two year filler at LHB IF.  I saw Jace Peterson and Adam Frazier mentioned as possibilities.

I don't know about any combo of Candelario/Schoop coming back.  Sure, Candelario is lefty hitting, but his contract isn't guaranteed.  Schoop's contract is on the books for 2023.  Maybe the hitting side of the plate and the salary commitments matter, maybe one matters more than the other, maybe neither matter at all. 

Tomorrow is going to be kind of like Christmas.  We don't know what we'll find under the 40 man tree.