2022-23 Detroit Tigers Offseason Thread

chasfh

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

Most years he's a better RHB though. '21 his platoon split was plus as a LHH (812/752) but that was the exception. His career platoon against RHP  is 707 which isn't much to write home about. Last year was down to 616 as compared to 680  as a RHB

That was not the case in 2021, whihc was very recent, and that's across an entire season of 600+ PA. I'm not among those who think 2020-21 were a mirage and 2022 is his true level.

Maybe Harris is considering  left handed hitting first baseman or catcher. I think he will add players with platooning in mind. If so Candy could be retained.Swap out both Castros and Reyes for better platoon players that can actually hit. Ease Tork into MLB and have a back up in case he flops. No stars added but a deeper bench at least for 2023.

18 minutes ago, casimir said:

They might just go for a one or two year filler at LHB IF.  I saw Jace Peterson and Adam Frazier mentioned as possibilities.

I don't know about any combo of Candelario/Schoop coming back.  Sure, Candelario is lefty hitting, but his contract isn't guaranteed.  Schoop's contract is on the books for 2023.  Maybe the hitting side of the plate and the salary commitments matter, maybe one matters more than the other, maybe neither matter at all. 

Tomorrow is going to be kind of like Christmas.  We don't know what we'll find under the 40 man tree.

Sure, they could go the one- or even two-year route while we wait to see whether Colt Colt is a real thing.

If the idea is to platoon Candelario with a LHH free agent pickup, I don't know that Adam Frazier is the guy since he is strictly a 2B who never strikes out, but also never hits the ball hard. He doesn't give us anything Schoop doesn't.

Jace peterson could be interesting as a platoon piece. The Brewers seemed to turn him into a decent enough hitter who can take a walk, handle changeups, and hit line drives. He doesn't hit the ball particularly hard, either, but he hit it harder this year than Candelario did. He also has a plus-glove.

Just now, SoCalTiger said:

Maybe Harris is considering  left handed hitting first baseman or catcher. I think he will add players with platooning in mind. If so Candy could be retained.Swap out both Castros and Reyes for better platoon players that can actually hit. Ease Tork into MLB and have a back up in case he flops. No stars added but a deeper bench at least for 2023.

Tough to have many platoons when the roster carries 13 (minimum) pitchers and Cabrera. 

Baez will play everyday.  Greene has probably earned that spot.  Ideally Torkelson can get there.  If they do keep Candelario and he can revert back to 2020-2021, that would help.

33 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I'm not among those who think 2020-21 were a mirage and 2022 is his true level.

I wish there was a better way to know. Both opportunity cost and actual $ cost if you bring him back and then have to scramble to back fill after a couple of hundred '22 level AB, but you look stupid if you let him walk and he excels somewhere else. Tigers just don't seem to catch any breaks in term of at least having players you can make clear cut decisions about - as that is half the battle.

31 minutes ago, theroundsquare said:

as far as a RH hitting OF goes, i wonder if they would kick the tires on Miguel Sano.  When I hear 'calculated risk,' that seems to me to mean somebody who might be a bounceback candidate and i think he fits that description.

Miguel Sano, outfielder?

1 hour ago, casimir said:

Tough to have many platoons when the roster carries 13 (minimum) pitchers and Cabrera. 

Baez will play everyday.  Greene has probably earned that spot.  Ideally Torkelson can get there.  If they do keep Candelario and he can revert back to 2020-2021, that would help.

Yes the Miggy elephant in the room does make roster management difficult 

2 hours ago, oblong said:

I still say the funniest line in Major League is when they call Lou about managing the team.

"Oh I don't know..... I got a guy on the other line about some white walls, I'll call you back"

It occurred to me the other day...you don't see a lot of white wall tires anymore

• Like 1

as much as I'd like to see us move on from Baez at SS, it probably makes sense to keep him there for one more year.  Next season will be about making incremental improvement, not competing for a playoff spot.  Schoop is already signed and hopefully can have his bat bounce back closer to his career norms.  He'll have zero trade value, nor part of our long-term plan, but it would be great if he can be a contributor to enjoyable baseball in 2023.

I like the idea of picking up a LH 1B, who can also fill in at DH and serve as a backup plan if Tork needs more time at Toledo (which certainly appears to be the case right now).

How about looking at Mitch Haniger for LF? (assumes Greene in CF and Meadows in RF).  Bats RH and the Mariners didn't offer him a QO, so he's a free agent with no strings.  Could be a bounce-back candidate after an injury-riddled season.  Has upside if he can stay healthy.

So, I think that the chances were probably slim to begin with, but given the message from Harris about LHH IF and RHH OF, the Castros, Reyes, Clemens, and Cameron should be updating their resumes.  I'll say of the five, zero make it through the first forty man grind.

And I will spell the numbers out just to be that guy.

11 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

I like the idea of picking up a LH 1B, who can also fill in at DH and serve as a backup plan if Tork needs more time at Toledo (which certainly appears to be the case right now).

I'd want someone that can handle 1B but also other IF positions.  Probably moreso the latter than the former.  Because if Torkelson makes the team, Cabrera hangs on, and Meadows rebounds, there's not a lot of opportunities for a lefty hitting 1B.

1 hour ago, SoCalTiger said:

Yes the Miggy elephant in the room does make roster management difficult 

I wouldn't say I was disappointed when I heard Harris talking about Cabrera's commitment to his off-season program, but it didn't inspire confidence that he understood the problem. Miguel's commitment to work is not the question, it's that as soon as he starts playing, the knee starts to deteriorate again - so it doesn't seem to matter how dedicated he is or how well conditioned he is when he arrives, history argues that playing the game is likely going to put him back into deficit territory once the season starts. 

• Like 1

lots of guys are going to be available for little or nothing

Pavin Smith (AZ) and Dominic Smith (NYM) are both LHH and are going to be DFA'ed perhaps

Hunter Renfro is looking at 11M in arbitration and Mil just picked up Wong's 2023 option

Wil Myers and Joey Gallo should not cost too much as a FA

Joey Wendle might get DFA'ed

Tex could move Josh Smith and Ezequiel Duran

31 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

I wouldn't say I was disappointed when I heard Harris talking about Cabrera's commitment to his off-season program, but it didn't inspire confidence that he understood the problem. Miguel's commitment to work is not the question, it's that as soon as he starts playing, the knee starts to deteriorate again - so it doesn't seem to matter how dedicated he is or how well conditioned he is when he arrives, history argues that playing the game is likely going to put him back into deficit territory once the season starts. 

what else is he going to say?  I think secretly, the Tigers are hoping that Miggy spends a considerable amount of time on the DL/bench next season. The only thing he costs us right now is a 40-man spot, which sucks, but isn't worth alienating one of our best players ever.  

We need to move on from any Miggy consternation--it is what it is, and will be over this time next year.

if you are referring to the MLB Network interview.. keep in mind that's MLB corporate media.  Nobody's going to be negative on a player. That's all sunshine and happiness.  

• Thanks 1

Bone on bone is truly uncompromising.Maybe less weight helps a little. That and powerless arm swinging.So what's the wager with Miggy in 2023 ? How about which statistic is higher OBP or Slugging ? Is this even possible ?