2022-23 Detroit Tigers Offseason Thread

chasfh

12 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I understand. The Baseball marketing machine thrives on home runs and strikeouts, and the increase of both is a direct result of the live ball. I'm just saying, if Baseball cared—I mean really cared—about protecting pitchers from injuries, instead of just letting it happen since it happily maintains the fungibility and thus cost control of the pitcher pool, I'm certain deadening the ball would accomplish that.

I tend to agree. It is an undisputed fact that pitchers used to survive throwing a lot more innings than they do today. The caveat is that back in 50-60s the number of guys that washed out injured with no fanfare because there was little coverage about it was probably also huge and now pretty much unknowable. For all we know maybe we could pull a large enough subset out of the population of todays pitchers to find enough guys able to throw >250 innings on 4 man staffs for 14 teams. I personally doubt this but I can't prove it.

Edited by gehringer_2

34 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

some guesses here for Detroit: Profar, Quintana, Elfin and Taillon

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2022/11/mlb-trade-rumors-top-50-free-agents-predictions-2022-23.html

Just what we need: up to three more tossers who can't strike hitters out. I thought it was important to control the strike zone? Or maybe what we mean by that is pitchers who won't walk guys, which, these guys didn't last year. We'll see, if we end up signing any of these guys.

Profar definitely takes walks and puts the ball in play—just not very hard when he does, and thus he's up and down from year to year. Plus, if we're going to hire more guys who can't strike hitters out, we should probably get someone out there who can defend. He's basically Curaçao Robbie Grossman.

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

Deaden the ball, remove the fear of all nine guys in the order being able take you out of the park, and pitchers won't have to throw so hard with so much torque to get swing-and-miss. They can just heave it up there and say here you go, hit it and get yourself out.

I don't understand why no one ever contemplates that idea except me.

Isn't that what they just did this past year?

1 hour ago, RatkoVarda said:

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2022/11/mlb-trade-rumors-top-50-free-agents-predictions-2022-23.html

I saw that.  So, the top 50 free agents, and 4 guys picking where those 50 go, so the math is 200 possibilities. An even distribution among the 30 teams would 6 or 7 players?  That's about what these 4 encompass players for the guesses that include the Tigers. 

I understand the desire for starters, so OK, those guys make sense.

Profar is questionable.  He doesn't necessarily hit LHPs (or RHPs for that matter) well, which is one of the things Harris mentioned.  His recent and career SO% and BB% are favorable to MLB averages, but exit velocity and hard hit rates are not.  He had been used around the field earlier in his career, but he was solely a LF last season.

OK, story time on Taillon.  We were at this game that Taillon pitched and he took a line drive off of his nugget that landed in LF.  After a few moments channeling his inner Doug Fister, he convinced the Pirates that he was fine, and he stayed in the game.  I'd probably still be weeping in a fetal position on the ground if that were me.  We were in the RF stands where they cut around RCF.  We had a perfect view of Harrion's triple to CF and of the relay throw to 3B being airmailed into the dugout to score him.

1 hour ago, Edman85 said:

Anybody not on the 40 man roster with seven years of professional (minor or major league) service time are free agents as of yesterday at 5 pm. Of all the players outrighted yesterday, Luis Garcia is the only who is not eligible.

OK gotcha. So it's automatic.

They don't have to "elect" anything or file any paperwork/ procedures just...

Service time = automatic.

2 hours ago, RatkoVarda said:

I also saw this and it's not inspiring. Maybe Taillon or Elfin if low cost. Profar is Willie Castro want be and Quintana seems like last year was a fluke.

My guess none of these sign with Detroit. I think Harris will do better or pass free agency. Hope he is looking for building blocks in free agency ..foundation pieces not aluminum siding that won't survive the Detroit winters.

Edited by SoCalTiger

26 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

I believe there is a good chance.  He seems to fit in with the kind of staff Harris has been putting together.  

Good organization to learn from. That would bring 3  people from progressive teams Harris-SF, Metzler-Tampa and Click-Houston. Picking up the 3 year GM from the World Champs should be a winner and rare opportunity.

People on this site have been calling for a deader ball for as long as I can remember, specifically the mid-1980's ball (not 1987).  If they had done that 10 years ago none of the nonsense about banning the shift would have ever happened and max effort on every pitch would not be required.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jim Cowan said:

People on this site have been calling for a deader ball for as long as I can remember, specifically the mid-1980's ball (not 1987).  If they had done that 10 years ago none of the nonsense about banning the shift would have ever happened and max effort on every pitch would not be required.

Exactly.

I’m not sure James Click is going to end up here because I’m not sure Scott Harris is even going to hire a GM for the first year. He might want to go through his first year as PBO/GM so he has can get the feel of what needs to change, and exactly how, between the old way and the new.

6 hours ago, chasfh said:

This is how traumatized over the years we Tiger fans have become—we regard sub-replacement players we've seen losing games for us for years as acceptable pieces for the team going forward.

This hits the nail on the head. We have maybe 3 or 4 position players on the 26 man roster that would make a mediocre (81 wins) team. That means as of the close of the 2022 season, at least 9 of the position players would not have a role on a mediocre team, let alone a playoff team. On the 26 man , as of the end of 2022, there are only 8  or 9 players, including the pitchers I would consider major league quality for a mediocre team.