2022-23 Detroit Tigers Offseason Thread

chasfh

16 minutes ago, chasfh said:

He'll probably get there eventually but I would guess that for the first year, Harris is going to be point man on a lot of decisions, including relatively minor player moves, so that he explicitly establishes both the change in culture and the benchmarks by which subsequent hires will be expected to hew to.

What information is he using to make that final call?

1 hour ago, Useful Idiot said:

Well, lets see...he's used "We need to add right handed bats in the outfield" as his rationale for letting Reyes go, and has at the same time insisted we need to add left handed bats to the infield as his excuse for getting rid of Candy.

I'd like to think if  we have a worthy leader he'll be at least smart enough to  organize his agenda sufficiently into a cohesive whole before sputtering half baked imperatives.   He's not on any fast track towards impressing me, thus far.

If one is going to lie, they at least need to lie well.  I realize that is a tad harsh, but still fitting.

"We need to add right-handed OF" is a lot more political than saying "Victor Reyes is sub-replacement level and we don't want to use a 40-man spot on him."

Over-parsing the few media availabilities and judging based on three weeks of the offseason, the three weeks that are most often used for pruning, is ridiculous.

18 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

"We need to add right-handed OF" is a lot more political than saying "Victor Reyes is sub-replacement level and we don't want to use a 40-man spot on him."

Over-parsing the few media availabilities and judging based on three weeks of the offseason, the three weeks that are most often used for pruning, is ridiculous.

Ridiculous for YOU, perhaps. Please don't underestimate me. :classic_ninja:

Akil Baddoo is a sub replacement level, left hand batting outfielder, too. So why is he still around? Cheap and controllable much? :classic_laugh:

And THAT, in a nutshell, is it. This organization is not making any progress. We are still basing our decisions on money, more than any more meaningful criteria. 

Same ol' same ol'

Edited by Useful Idiot

2 hours ago, Useful Idiot said:

LOL, King 84 has spoken!!  SORRY 84, I'm not conceding expectations just because the house of Chrissy is in disarray.   Organizations that win on the cheap happen, but are flukes.   Top talent earns top dollar for a reason. 

So long as they have you  "on board" with this dime store mentality that we can emulate the 2015 Royals, they own you.  Free your mind...etc.

No dime store mentality...

I said this even before Avila was fired:

They need 1 year to heal themselves. ONLY one year. This is not a 5-year plan. They need to fix the broken parts of the Tigers system (hitting coaches, developmental flaws, drafting criteria, proper analytics and proper use of analytics, etc...). They need to fix their health issues. They need to fix their broken pitchers. They need to fix their broken prospects. They need to broom out dead weight and/ or non-productive aging players. Etc.

I'm implying one season only: 2023.

After that point, I expect there should be an organizational understanding of their pitcher's health, the 2nd year adjustment of Eduardo, Meadows & Baez to their new organization, Kerry Carpenter's real/ not real status, Cabrera riding off into the sunset, Tork! is fixed or not fixed, all of Harris's organizational fixes to start showing effectiveness (especially hitting and health management fixes), known or at least reasonable expectations for what players may be able to provide in 2024 (including all of their pitchers, Tork! and Greene, Jake Rogers, Baez, Kerry Carpenter (real/ not real) and Meadows (back ob track/ fallen off the track), some of the other players that they are sifting through for other positions, and their top rookies close to MLB such as Olson, Wenceel, Dingler, Parker, maybe a couple others).

It's just where the Org is at this year. This has nothing to do with some imagined 5-10 year plan that you think Chris/ Harris/ myself are planning... No. It's just reality.

From now until offseason 2023-24: I expect Harris to make a boatload of transactions (all types) to move this team forward from today. But it won't necessarily be linear and it may look like they are doing just as you fear: throwing a lot of cheap controllable players out there. But that does NOT necessarily mean they are going backwards... It means they are EVALUATING (in my opinion only... or maybe a few others also believe the same...?) what they have/ don't have/ can fix/ still needs fixing over the 2023 season. "Real money" I don't believe will ve spent until offseason 2023-24. Again, that does NOT mean it's a 5-year plan... It's JUST ONE year.

IMO.

Edited by 1984Echoes

Let's face it, that .340 obp has VERY LITTLE to do with Baddoo remaining on the roster. He's  still with us because he's "young and dumb".  And by  "dumb" I'm not meaning that as a slight against his intellect, I'm just using the expression as a metaphor for "not having sufficient service time to command a payday"

5 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

the problem is you probably don't get anyone that has had success (at least recently) on a one year deal, which is why I'm guess they may have to settle for something more along the lines of a reclamation project. Of course if Harris isn't very high in Mize long term, then sure, I suppose we could see a bigger signing.

A reclamation project with a history of durability would probably be about as good as it gets

1 hour ago, Useful Idiot said:

OHHH!!  The evil "T" word.  I guess I've really been had?  lol

News for you, over half the members here are "trolls",  they just happen to be regulars .

It's not even good trolling. No one could disagree with anything because it's just goofy nonsense. Any debate would be futile.

1 minute ago, Longgone said:

It's not even good trolling. No one could disagree with anything because it's just goofy nonsense. Any debate would be futile.

I've often felt the very same way about criticism here directed at me by others. They disagree, but finding themselves incapable of meaningful rebuttal, they descend into petty insults and that silly little "monkey cage" game that is so popular here. :classic_tongue: