2022-23 Detroit Tigers Offseason Thread

chasfh

Getting back to the topic of baseball...the Yankees may be looking to deal Gleybar Torres...could be can offensive upgrade if he's open to playing 2B.

Doing some online research in Google news archive of the Toledo Blade. Stumbled upon an interesting item in the sports pages.  Apparently...at the 1974 winter meetings the Tigers almost traded Bill Slayback and Mickey Stanley to the Mets.  The Mets were to send Rusty Staub to the Phillies..the Phils would then send C Bob Boone to Detroit.  

Great deal for Detroit...Ok deal for the Phils...awful trade for the Mets

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Useful Idiot said:

I see,...so then you are saying that Harris has a gift for double speak.

What do you think is his true meaning behind "we must master the strike zone"?  Is that his way of saying "Good bye Javy"?.....Soto too for that matter since he said "from both sides of the plate".  Perhaps I've been too harsh and there are things to like about this guy afterall?

It means you can make it 40% of a players valuation instead of 10%. It is impractical to just not acquire anybody with strike zone issues.

4 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

I think I am stupider reading the last 30-40 posts.  And I don’t have any IQ points to spare.

I know this is a forum to speculate, but I find it interesting that there is so much conviction and confidence while commenting on a situation that no one really knows anything about. We don’t even have an offseason to evaluate how the new front office is going to approach building a roster.

Gotta tear it down and rebuild. Then, in 4 or 5 years, the next GM can do it again. Rinse and repeat.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Edman85 said:

It means you can make it 40% of a players valuation instead of 10%. It is impractical to just not acquire anybody with strike zone issues.

and there's issues and then there's issues. What if a guy K's a lot but also walks and hits a lot of HRs? What if a guy swings away a lot with the bases empty but always shortens up with a runner in scoring position and less than 2 outs? You can look under the covers of almost any statistical measure and find more nuance.

On 11/26/2022 at 6:42 PM, Edman85 said:

Not really anywhere. I just don't think people are understanding the front office processes. Harris isn't some czar that took over. Most of the same people are empowered, using the same information.

I'm not sure how this relates to my post? In any event, I do think Harris will take the steering wheel for the first year, in order to establish his own philosophy and processes on a system that's beyond broken, and will hire a GM to slide into that system once it's well-established enough.

19 hours ago, Shinzaki said:

Getting back to the topic of baseball...the Yankees may be looking to deal Gleybar Torres...could be can offensive upgrade if he's open to playing 2B.

Doing some online research in Google news archive of the Toledo Blade. Stumbled upon an interesting item in the sports pages.  Apparently...at the 1974 winter meetings the Tigers almost traded Bill Slayback and Mickey Stanley to the Mets.  The Mets were to send Rusty Staub to the Phillies..the Phils would then send C Bob Boone to Detroit.  

Great deal for Detroit...Ok deal for the Phils...awful trade for the Mets

Kolten Wong is another name I've seen thrown around.... he would be a good fit (and hits LH)

1 minute ago, RandyMarsh said:

Jose Abreu to the Astros, was gonna say nice to see him out of the division but aren't they changing the scheduling next year so it's more balanced with less divisional games?

https://www.mlb.com/news/2023-mlb-schedule

Yup, still less than though. The tigers will play 13 games against in division and 6 or 7 against out of division AL clubs

15 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

Miggy confirms that 2023 will be his final season but intends on staying with the organization in some capacity.

Oh joy.  It was mentioned here this past season that he's still a draw to the ballpark.  I guess we can expect attendance figures in 2023 to reflect that, eh?

Just now, casimir said:

Oh joy.  It was mentioned here this past season that he's still a draw to the ballpark.  I guess we can expect attendance figures in 2023 to reflect that, eh?

No one really believes that.  There is zero reason to find anything positive in him being part of next year’s roster, except for his retirement celebration.  

It’s a sad end to a first ballot HOF career.

Just now, Tenacious D said:

No one really believes that.  There is zero reason to find anything positive in him being part of next year’s roster, except for his retirement celebration.  

It’s a sad end to a first ballot HOF career.

No one really believes that?  You missed some posts around here during the 2022 season.  I don't believe the theory, but there are others that did/do.

I agree with you, there's zero positive to him being part of 2023's roster.  It's a wasted space.  There isn't enough offense from a part time DH to justify him chasing personal milestones.  Who cares at this point, he's a 1st ballot hall of famer if he retires now.  Instead he's just a millstone on the 2023 roster.

1 hour ago, casimir said:

No one really believes that?  You missed some posts around here during the 2022 season.  I don't believe the theory, but there are others that did/do.

I agree with you, there's zero positive to him being part of 2023's roster.  It's a wasted space.  There isn't enough offense from a part time DH to justify him chasing personal milestones.  Who cares at this point, he's a 1st ballot hall of famer if he retires now.  Instead he's just a millstone on the 2023 roster.

I guess I’m not arguing that some might have thought that early last season as milestones were being chased.  I seriously doubt anyone now believes that—and if they do, their forum access should be immediately suspended, along with public shaming and a good flogging.

1 hour ago, Tenacious D said:

I guess I’m not arguing that some might have thought that early last season as milestones were being chased.  I seriously doubt anyone now believes that—and if they do, their forum access should be immediately suspended, along with public shaming and a good flogging.

are you questioning that his milestone chase didn't drive up attendance for certain games?  They drew 65K fans for a double header on a Saturday in April.  Without 3000 hits that wouldn't have happened.

I'm guessing if they do a "Miggy" day here, before school starts in September, that will draw well.  But obviously attendance potential is not going to be a factor in what the team decides to do.