2022-23 Detroit Tigers Offseason Thread

chasfh

26 minutes ago, oblong said:

are you questioning that his milestone chase didn't drive up attendance for certain games?  They drew 65K fans for a double header on a Saturday in April.  Without 3000 hits that wouldn't have happened.

I'm guessing if they do a "Miggy" day here, before school starts in September, that will draw well.  But obviously attendance potential is not going to be a factor in what the team decides to do.  

Not at all—I think his milestone chase did positively impact attendance (I personally made it to his 3000th hit—one of only two games I went to).

However, once that was over, his presence likely had very little impact on attendance.  And I suspect he’ll have none in 2023, except for his retirement ceremony.

How you treat your greats is part of what defines you as a franchise.  You can't just euphemistically take Miggy out back and shoot him.  He's earned the opportunity to say goodbye on his terms.  Give him some AB's..put him on the DL if the knee flares up and hope that he's able to somewhat replicate his last decent year (2020) on his way out the door.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Shinzaki said:

How you treat your greats is part of what defines you as a franchise.  You can't just euphemistically take Miggy out back and shoot him.  He's earned the opportunity to say goodbye on his terms.  Give him some AB's..put him on the DL if the knee flares up and hope that he's able to somewhat replicate his last decent year (2020) on his way out the door.

I agree with this, and I'm OK with Miggy coming back to the team as a special advisor to the CEO, or even as a bigger-than-life mentor to Latin players. Something ceremonial or low-level along those lines.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mtutiger said:

Interesting....

Just from going to the National League, he should get a boost.

Nationals Park is more favorable to LHH than RHH, so they'll have to fix that part of him. Not sure whether they can, since the Nationals are still a bit of a retrograde organization when it comes to data science.

On 11/27/2022 at 3:13 PM, Edman85 said:

It means you can make it 40% of a players valuation instead of 10%. It is impractical to just not acquire anybody with strike zone issues.

Well, the thing of it is, if our new president's proclamations are to have meaning, he needs to follow through.  Javy Baez is a sucker for that ball low and away, and it's not just a one year anomaly. You can talk to Cubbie fans who think it's hilarious (now that they are not beneficiary)...He's always been that way.

And Soto,  how often comes in with a one run lead, and proceeds to load the bases with combinations of walks and hit batsmen?   As a Closer? Really? The fact that he sometimes manages to pitch his way through those situations...."using all available bases" as they try to excuse it...is a joke

Neither of these players belong on a team where mastery of the strike zone is a stated objective.

Of course the reality of it is, Harris' comments are just "fluff". Sound Bytes to make him sound engaged. You could tell by the almost comical tone in AJ's voice when he parroted Harris' comment, that he was just being obedient to his new master.

Ah yes, the new king is wearing beautiful clothes, doesn't everyone agree? That's what it's starting to sound like to me.

Edited by Useful Idiot

46 minutes ago, Useful Idiot said:

Well, the thing of it is, if our new president's proclamations are to have meaning, he needs to follow through.  Javy Baez is a sucker for that ball low and away, and it's not just a one year anomaly. You can talk to Cubbie fans who think it's hilarious (now that they are not beneficiary)...He's always been that way.

And Soto,  how often comes in with a one run lead, and proceeds to load the bases with combinations of walks and hit batsmen?   As a Closer? Really? The fact that he sometimes manages to pitch his way through those situations...."using all available bases" as they try to excuse it...is a joke

Neither of these players belong on a team where mastery of the strike zone is a stated objective.

Of course the reality of it is, Harris' comments are just "fluff". Sound Bytes to make him sound engaged. You could tell by the almost comical tone in AJ's voice when he parroted Harris' comment, that he was just being obedient to his new master.

Ah yes, the new king is wearing beautiful clothes, doesn't everyone agree? That's what it's starting to sound like to me.

i know what you're thinking; I'll just go on there and grace those losers with my knowledge and insight. But then what comes out is just a petty, woeful word salad of illogical and ill-formed nonsense that doesn't further the discussion of baseball or the Detroit Tigers, but only befuddles or irritates people. This makes you defensive, so you double down on the foolishness. 

Edited by Longgone

On 11/26/2022 at 9:31 PM, gehringer_2 said:

Like I said, I think the reality is that Harris is going to spend the budget he has been given. He cut the guys he cut because he thinks he can make more effcient use of the saved resource somewhere else. 

I think he cut the guys he did because they were accumulating service time that the organization just didn't want to deal with.. Sorta like we did with Nick.  aka  "I'm not ready to start paying guys"...etc.

Hey, if Harris fills the vacancies he's created with bona fide talent, then I'm wrong, and I'll openly and freely admit it.

But, if next season comes around and he's got these slugs he's been picking up on the waiver wire, in uniform as their replacements...I'm going to consider that a regression to the "Ronny Rodriguez" era

Edited by Useful Idiot

9 minutes ago, Longgone said:

i know what your thinking; I'll just go on there and grace those losers with my knowledge and insight. But then what comes out is just a petty, woeful word salad of illogical and ill-formed nonsense that doesn't further the discussion of baseball or the Detroit Tigers, but only befuddles or irritates people. This makes you defensive, so you double down on the foolishness. 

It's your inability to communicate without personal insults that forces me to see your posts as non-consequential.

I'll try to cut down on the multi syllable words so you can participate more easily

Edited by Useful Idiot

2 hours ago, Tigermojo said:

"12:10pm: Mike Rodriguez reports that Candelario will make a $5MM base salary with $1MM in performance incentives available."

That sounds about right.

EDIT: Dag, man, two hours too late.

It’s still close enough to seven bills, though. He’ll make up the difference when he finishes top five for NL MVP. 😁

Edited by chasfh