2022-23 Detroit Tigers Offseason Thread

chasfh

47 minutes ago, Shinzaki said:

Bowden from The Athletic published a single FA target for all 30 teams.   He said the Tigers should sign OF Mitch Haniger for one year at 15 Million

Mitch would be a great Candelario-to-Nats signing for the Tigers, although I suspect he has interest from actual contenders for more than just 1 year

1 hour ago, Edman85 said:

I was piled on Twitter by a lot of the fanboy/fangirl for saying this last year, but an injury is the best case scenario for Cabrera.

I reject the notion that he isn't blocking anybody. There's an outfield glut building, and if things go well you need a spot in the lineup for Greene, Tork, Carpenter, Baddoo, and Meadows. If the player dev machine picks up and there is somebody OPS-ing 1000 in Toledo, it hurts to not be able to give that person a chance because you have a sub replacement every day DH standing in the way.

Oh yeah, the above happened with Carpenter this season, and he didn't get the chance until Cabrera was IL'ed.

Its asinine to suggest he isn't blocking anyone.  Anyone that can play adequate defense at any position on the field and adequately hit a baseball is currently a better baseball player than Cabrera.  I'm sorry to rock the feels of those pine for seeing Cabrera for just one more season, but just he's not a MLB quality player anymore.

41 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

I think everyone, including Team Miggy, would be OK with an injury that cuts significantly into his playing time.  I just want the Tigers to provide the guy with the opportunity to leave on his own terms.

He's banked $30M+ per season the last 6 seasons despite being league average at best.  He's got another $40M on the way this season whether he plays or not.  Those are pretty damn good terms.

In a perfect world he wouldve retired but I think Miggy would be OK if used sparringly or in situations where you need a hit cause he still has relatively good bat on ball and batting average skills but when tasked to play nearly everyday he has shown every year for the past half decade plus that his body just can't hold up to it and his production and value plummets as the year goes on. 

Edited by RandyMarsh

18 hours ago, buddha said:

i just picked mike laga out of my memory as a guy who had a lot of local hype.  it could have easily been chris pittaro, matt brunson, gabe alvarez, milt cuyler, gabe kapler, etc etc etc.

i have definitely not lost faith in tork but my expectations have been lowered.  every tigers prospect picked by the avila regime is suspect to me (except greene, i really like him).

that said, dont listen to me (not that you would), i dont follow the team like you guys do.  but it seems to my uneducated mind that i've seriously overrated the tigers' prospects for a while now.  fool me once, shame on you, fool me with ten beau burrows, shame on me.

Avila didn't reach for any picks. All the players he took were expected to be taken with the draft slot we were in. I think it was Brady Singer or Casey Mize, as an example. But yeah, fire Avila, dump all his picks/trades and start a new rebuild.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

Did they announced Miggy got a 3 year extension and will be our new 3rd baseman yet? That would shut up all the Candelario haters. And BTW? Candy signed with the Nationals for something like 5 million. But yeah, we have SO many internal options.../s.

I suspect we offered something close to that.  It is possible that he wanted a fresh start somewhere else.

4 hours ago, CMRivdogs said:

guy called Mays come to mind.

Not the best comparison. Willie had a bad last year in '73 but as near to that as '71 he carried a 900 OPS and led the league in walks and OBP. '72 was a relative down year - OPS+ of 'only' 131. Miguel has only been OPS+ positive once in the last 4 season and then just barely.

1 hour ago, Sports_Freak said:

Avila didn't reach for any picks. All the players he took were expected to be taken with the draft slot we were in. I think it was Brady Singer or Casey Mize, as an example. But yeah, fire Avila, dump all his picks/trades and start a new rebuild.

defending al avila as the hill you choose to die on is an interesting decision.

6 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

I can see honoring him for the last couple years of his career, but Cabrera has been replacement level for SIX years.  Enough is enough.  Cabrera was the greatest Tigers hitter I have seen in my lifetime and there are a lot of great memories.  The last six years do not enhance that in any way.  If anything, they take away from the memories.  

Agree 100 times over. We have had a six year long farewell tour. I will never mention his name again , it would be childish and snarky to use the abbreviation HWSNBN ("He who shall not be named."), so from here on out I am done discussing him.

Unlike many here, this raises questions in my mind about this organization's commitment to excellence. It seems to me a truly professional Ball team would at least try some other guy rather than sticking with a sub replacement player. At least the Tigers will recoup some dollars on this leg of HWSNBN's farewell tour.

I guess I am childish and snarky after all.

Edited by HeyAbbott

1 hour ago, Sports_Freak said:

Drafting is tough, the Angels first round picks in '18 and '19 are both available in the Rule 5 draft.

3 hours ago, Sports_Freak said:

Jackson Jobe was absolutely a reach.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

Not the best comparison. Willie had a bad last year in '73 but as near to that as '71 he carried a 900 OPS and led the league in walks and OBP. '72 was a relative down year - OPS+ of 'only' 131. Miguel has only been OPS+ positive once in the last 4 season and then just barely.

I remember being frustrated with Kaline, who needed 3 years to get his last 300 hits, and was obviously just hanging on to get to 3,000.  But with him the issue wasn't performance it was injuries.  In his last year he did get 630 PA's, thank goodness, or else he would have come back for another year.

5 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

This is going to be a very long winter if we have to keep revisiting Miggy's presence on next year's roster.  It's happening, no matter how much grousing takes place.

I know it's happening and I accept it.  I just don't want to rationalize why it's OK because of his long ago past.