2022-23 Detroit Tigers Offseason Thread

chasfh

18 minutes ago, Jim Cowan said:

I remember being frustrated with Kaline, who needed 3 years to get his last 300 hits, and was obviously just hanging on to get to 3,000.  But with him the issue wasn't performance it was injuries.  In his last year he did get 630 PA's, thank goodness, or else he would have come back for another year.

yeah - the situation has changed dramatically since Kaline and Mays' day. Guys were not on huge long term deals and teams were more than willing to cut bait with guys whose performance had dropped regardless of who they were. You got pretty much one year to prove you were done and you were out. I'm pretty certain that Miguel would not have have been playing in the majors for the last two years or so under the contract arrangements that existed years ago. When you think about it puts more luster on the records of the old timers who had to get to those counting statss without benefit of being able to hang on to roster spots because of their team's contract liability to them.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

I know it's happening and I accept it.  I just don't want to rationalize why it's OK because of his long ago past.    

Cabrera and Candelario were essentially similar hitters last season, just for a bit of perspective.  Yet some folks wanted one run out of town while wanting to keep the other for one more season.  Makes a whole lot of sense.

45 minutes ago, Jim Cowan said:

I remember being frustrated with Kaline, who needed 3 years to get his last 300 hits, and was obviously just hanging on to get to 3,000.  But with him the issue wasn't performance it was injuries.  In his last year he did get 630 PA's, thank goodness, or else he would have come back for another year.

Performance is absolutely the issue with Cabrera.  If he were a .750 OPS type of hitter, his heath issues and lack of dandy defensive value wouldn’t be an issue.  But he’s not, those days have passed by.

I would have liked for Candelario to have stayed I think he's a good bet to recover to at least a 2-win player, which is worth seven million bucks.

I don't think the lineup is necessarily stronger with Miggy than without him, but I don't know if he's even going to be on the field for much of next season.

3 minutes ago, casimir said:

Performance is absolutely the issue with Cabrera.  If he were a .750 OPS type of hitter, his heath issues and lack of dandy defensive value wouldn’t be an issue.  But he’s not, those days have passed by.

Correct.  The mistake was made almost 9 years ago by a guy who is now dead.  Cabrera was guaranteed to be on the team through 2023 and there was never a chance of any other outcome except career-ending injury.

1 minute ago, Jim Cowan said:

Correct.  The mistake was made almost 9 years ago by a guy who is now dead.  Cabrera was guaranteed to be on the team through 2023 and there was never a chance of any other outcome except career-ending injury.

That mistake is being exacerbated by the mistake of keeping him on the major league roster despite his not being a player worthy of a spot on a major league roster.

7 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Since Miggy has announced that he will retire after 2023, does that mean we are no longer on the hook for the $8 million buyout? Seems to me that would be the case.

I believe he is still owed that.

Hell, he could pull a Pujols and make the option vest!

3 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

I believe he is still owed that.

Hell, he could pull a Pujols and make the option vest!

Are you sure? The minute the season ends he’s retired, and the buyout is intended as a negotiated hedge against a team not exercising an option, which I believe becomes a non-factor if he retires. So I don’t understand how he still has a claim on the buyout money. 

4 hours ago, buddha said:

defending al avila as the hill you choose to die on is an interesting decision.

It was Ilitch who extended Miggy. IMO, Avila was horrible. Most of the players he signed or traded for didn't produce. But they played anyway because they had to pay them anyway....but any horrible player he signed or traded for pales in comparison to his biggest blunder, extending Brad when he should have been fired. 

2 hours ago, Edman85 said:

Jackson Jobe was absolutely a reach.

True. And the return on some of the established all-star quality players we traded was underwhelming. But how many of us ever thought JV would still be winning Cy Young awards at age 39? The way he takes care of himself, I guess it wasn't out of the question. But still...natural age regression...

3 hours ago, SoCalTiger said:

Good luck to Candy. I truly wish him well and am also glad he is gone. 

I don't understand this. Why would anyone be glad unless we had a replacement? It's like quitting a job, have a new one lined up before quitting. We might not even get thru April without realizing we miss him.

19 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

I don't understand this. Why would anyone be glad unless we had a replacement? It's like quitting a job, have a new one lined up before quitting. We might not even get thru April without realizing we miss him.

A lot of offseason left.  They were forced to make the call on Candy when they did.  I’m fairly confident someone will be brought in prior to Spring Training.

2 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

A lot of offseason left.  They were forced to make the call on Candy when they did.  I’m fairly confident someone will be brought in prior to Spring Training.

Yes, I'm sure <someone> will be brought in. My concern is lack of production or terrible defense. Candy had a bad year. But so did many other positions. 1st base, 2nd base and the entire outfield. And we sat out top HR hitter from 2021 for 3/4 of the season over some very weak hitting catcher. Candy's year was concerning but not our biggest problem. Just my opinion. 

2 hours ago, chasfh said:

Since Miggy has announced that he will retire after 2023, does that mean we are no longer on the hook for the $8 million buyout? Seems to me that would be the case.

no, the option belongs to the tigers (unless it vests by him getting mvp votes, which it wont).  the tigers have the option of paying him $32 million in 2024 OR paying him $8 million not to play for them.

9 hours ago, Sports_Freak said:

True. And the return on some of the established all-star quality players we traded was underwhelming. But how many of us ever thought JV would still be winning Cy Young awards at age 39? The way he takes care of himself, I guess it wasn't out of the question. But still...natural age regression...

Who here isn't doing what they used to could do at 39?

9 hours ago, Sports_Freak said:

Yes, I'm sure <someone> will be brought in. My concern is lack of production or terrible defense. Candy had a bad year. But so did many other positions. 1st base, 2nd base and the entire outfield. And we sat out top HR hitter from 2021 for 3/4 of the season over some very weak hitting catcher. Candy's year was concerning but not our biggest problem. Just my opinion. 

Maybe Candy wasn't the biggest overall problem, but he was a problem who had a decision to be made contractually during this offseason. And they acted on it.

While I see the other side, I am fine with the decision they made. And as free agency proved, at the end of the day, the league didn't feel he was a $7 million dollar player so I cannot blame the Tigers for wanting to move on and see if they can find something different.

• Like 2

Completely random, but worthy of noting.  Buck O'Neil popped up as one of the players when I jumped on baseball reference.  If thinking of Buck O'Neil's voice and story telling don't brighten your mood, gosh, I just don't know what to tell you.

Edited by casimir