2022-23 Detroit Tigers Offseason Thread

chasfh

2 hours ago, mtutiger said:

Maybe Candy wasn't the biggest overall problem, but he was a problem who had a decision to be made contractually during this offseason. And they acted on it.

While I see the other side, I am fine with the decision they made. And as free agency proved, at the end of the day, the league didn't feel he was a $7 million dollar player so I cannot blame the Tigers for wanting to move on and see if they can find something different.

we are conditioned to assume it's impossible to find players to upgrade positions of need other than with huge/unlikely FA signings. That conditioning is colliding with Harris' confidence he can do better.

26 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

we are conditioned to assume it's impossible to find players to upgrade positions of need other than with huge/unlikely FA signings. That conditioning is colliding with Harris' confidence he can do better.

No doubt - a situation like tendering Candy (and, as we now know, giving him more than what the market believes he is worth) is absolutely what would have happened under the last guy. The new guy doesn't operate that way, which is good.

It's one of those 'calculated risks' he talked about in his opening press conference. I don't know how he'll replace Candy, and there's a risk in that whatever replacement happens maybe doesn't perform as well.... but we all know what playing it safe gets. Sometimes you have to take risks to get better.

Edited by mtutiger
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Yes, this - but also - sports in general are very volatile per say. You just cannot say, as I heard one Tigers commentator mention at the end of 2021 season - while assuming the other current player WARS remain the same; if we 'add' WAR here, there, etc. plus this past years WAR on a few players stay the same or go up then we contend... NOT that simple. 

The repeat WAR of several Tiger players did not happen from their 2021 seasons (Candy included, Grossman, Schoop, etc.) and several more got hurt.

The Tigs can try to improve at several positions 'now'. Getting certain players added to the roster and hopefully most of them will perform adequate/well. Then add in some improvements by current players ex Baez, Baddoo, Meadows, Tork, Schoop, etc.

Yet, there will no doubt be some regress also. We hope the progress outweighs here. This is how any management must think. Detroit just had an abundance of things 'not' go well in 2022. In the end, maybe all for the better, as changes have been/are being made all across the board.

This along with hopefully better luck on the 'health side' (yet, there are always going to be some injuries) - may lead the team to be more (and perhaps much more) competitive. Maybe even contend for awhile at least with the increased post-season mix (perhaps wishful thinking 🙂 🙄).

Edited by alex
  • Thanks 1

Get Fulmer in here and keep Norris... the Boyd/Norris/Fulmer trio always had a special place to me.  It's like when we brought Omar back to Ramon and once again we had Intantiago.   Went to the WS and should have won in the year after... coincidence?  I think not.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

1 year $10 mil plus

Can he fill in at third?

Reminds me of the time the left-handed throwing guy on the softball team I was captaining who didn't know much about baseball whined about me not playing him at shortstop...

Edited by Edman85
  • Haha 1

Boyd has always had the potential to break out, so it could work out well.  It's just a little disappointing to see their first semi-major move be for a 31-year-old pitcher who has never really put it tgether for a full season and spends a lot of time on the IL.  It seems like the type of move you make later in the off-season when teams are hunting for bargains.   

22 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

In his limited time back last season it appeared he had his normal FB velo back. If that means his arm is fully healthy then we can probably expect Matt's stuff plays OK mid/back of rotation. Nothing wrong with that.

He was pitching in relief though.  Can he sustain the velocity two times through the order?  

55 minutes ago, oblong said:

Get Fulmer in here and keep Norris... the Boyd/Norris/Fulmer trio always had a special place to me.  It's like when we brought Omar back to Ramon and once again we had Intantiago.   Went to the WS and should have won in the year after... coincidence?  I think not.

Boyd/Fulmer/Norris harkens me back to the days of Justin Thompson, Brian Moehler, and, Seth Greisinger.

9 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

Boyd has always had the potential to break out, so it could work out well.  It's just a little disappointing to see their first semi-major move be for a 31-year-old pitcher who has never really put it tgether for a full season and spends a lot of time on the IL.  It seems like the type of move you make later in the off-season when teams are hunting for bargains.   

Wet blanket