2022-23 Detroit Tigers Offseason Thread

chasfh

27 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

Kind of depressing if true.  Sounds like we want to ride with the kids for next season.

Seth Lugo and Adam Frazier feels like a Michael Pineda and Jordy Mercer redux.

I don't see much more than bandaids this offseason while the new staff tries to fix all our broken pitchers and our broken Tork!

7 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

If… guys hit like they have in the past (Meadows, Baez, Schoop) as well as up to their potential (Tork, Greene), things could get better much quicker.

so if all this happends  they  might be a .500 team...keeping the same players and expecting them to magically get better is fools gold. Sure one or two players might have a better year but for most of the season last year  they had a historically bad offense. 

10 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

Kind of depressing if true.  Sounds like we want to ride with the kids for next season.

Seth Lugo and Adam Frazier feels like a Michael Pineda and Jordy Mercer redux.

A little harsh on Seth Lugo, who is a reliever who had a higher WAR than Andrew Chafin did last year.

None of the names are exciting, but outside of Frazier (who doesn't hit for power at all), they are all fine to be looking at imo.

4 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

A little harsh on Seth Lugo, who is a reliever who had a higher WAR than Andrew Chafin did last year.

None of the names are exciting, but outside of Frazier (who doesn't hit for power at all), they are all fine to be looking at imo.

Lugo is a good reliever, though we’re apparently looking at him as a starter.  

10 hours ago, 1984Echoes said:

I don't see much more than bandaids this offseason while the new staff tries to fix all our broken pitchers and our broken Tork!

It's also not that far off of what the Giants had been doing the past few years, bringing in the Lamont Wade types and trying to maximize value out of them. 

With the team where it is at this moment, I don't see an issue with it. Next offseason, if they do beat expectations and start getting more production out of the roster, I could understand being upset with them not being in the running for bigger names.

17 minutes ago, Longgone said:

For heavens sake, wait and see what Harris does, before getting all angsty.

Only reacting to what is being speculated.  It’s the best we can do at this point until more moves take place.  Harris is being forced to navigate this offseason with his hands tied behind his back, so we need to be realistic about our expectations.

1 minute ago, Tenacious D said:

Only reacting to what is being speculated.  It’s the best we can do at this point until more moves take place.  Harris is being forced to navigate this offseason with his hands tied behind his back, so we need to be realistic about our expectations.

That wasn't for you, D

5 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

How so?

1 hour ago, Tenacious D said:

The front office decided to not cut Miggy and throw away a roster slot in doing so. It is crystal clear what kind of season this is going to be. Factor in that both E Rod and Baez will opt out next year, and the only thing left for the year is to have a season long audition to sort out the contenders from the pretenders.. I still expect a siging or trade to at least make 2023 a 70 win season.

What a depressing list of players

Latest On Tigers’ Offseason Targets

By Mark Polishuk | December 11, 2022 at 4:48pm CDT

The Tigers have a lot of upgrades to make following a 96-loss season, and the club is exploring several veteran options on the free agent market.  Evan Petzold of the Detroit Free Press reports that such players as Seth Lugo, Adam Frazier, Brian Anderson, and Edwin Rios have all drawn interest from the Tigers, and Wil Myers is also on the radar, but “the Tigers aren’t viewed as a frontrunner for Myers.”  As for players who have already landed elsewhere, Detroit also had interest in Jace Peterson before he signed with the Athletics during the Winter Meetings.

10 minutes ago, HeyAbbott said:

The front office decided to not cut Miggy and throw away a roster slot in doing so. It is crystal clear what kind of season this is going to be. Factor in that both E Rod and Baez will opt out next year, and the only thing left for the year is to have a season long audition to sort out the contenders from the pretenders.. I still expect a siging or trade to at least make 2023 a 70 win season.

I am not convinced Baez opts out unless he proves 2022 was a bit of a fluke.  But if he rebounds, I think he's gone.

Rodriguez also has some things to prove in order to do better than 3/$49M that he would be walking away from.  Given the price tags that we've seen this offseason, it might not take much, but right or wrong he also has a bit of baggage attached to him.

Cabrera will finally be off of the books.

The early read on the 2024 payroll at this point is a bunch of arbitration or pre arbitration players.  Figure out a way to hit on those players, and maybe it wouldn't take much in the way of additions to compete in the division.  And with the low payroll, there should be ample resources to augment the on hand talent.

If we had to sign any one of these guys, Seth Lugo probably makes the most sense. We need starters this year and he wants to start. He’s been decent recently and will command at least two years. We could push him into the pen once the young guys still coming back.

As for the other three guys, light-hitting infielders though they may be, Frazier and Anderson have evolved into guys who can play multiple positions both on the dirt and on the grass, so we could sign one and just move him around the diamond as we give the young guys around them an occasional breather. If that’s the goal, Frazier is the best of the named guys here, although he’ll also command at least two years. 

16 minutes ago, casimir said:

I am not convinced Baez opts out unless he proves 2022 was a bit of a fluke.  But if he rebounds, I think he's gone.

Rodriguez also has some things to prove in order to do better than 3/$49M that he would be walking away from.  Given the price tags that we've seen this offseason, it might not take much, but right or wrong he also has a bit of baggage attached to him.

Cabrera will finally be off of the books.

The early read on the 2024 payroll at this point is a bunch of arbitration or pre arbitration players.  Figure out a way to hit on those players, and maybe it wouldn't take much in the way of additions to compete in the division.  And with the low payroll, there should be ample resources to augment the on hand talent.

Chris would probably give Harris a raise if Miggy's $8M buyout was the biggest contract for 2024.

Whomever they sign they should be able to see the ball better.

https://www.mlb.com/news/tigers-upgrade-lighting-at-comerica-park

The Tigers on Sunday announced they will upgrade the lighting at the ballpark to a state-of-the-art LED system, providing brighter surroundings with less glare and energy usage while also allowing for dynamic light shows.

“This upgrade is a significant one because of the impact it will have to all who watch Detroit Tigers baseball,” Ilitch Sports and Entertainment president/CEO Chris McGowan said in a release. “From improving playing conditions and ball tracking to innovative light shows that will help enhance the energy and buzz at the ballpark, this project was a focus for us to continue providing a first-class fan experience at Comerica Park moving into 2023 and beyond.”

40 minutes ago, chasfh said:

As for the other three guys, light-hitting infielders though they may be, Frazier and Anderson have evolved into guys who can play multiple positions both on the dirt and on the grass, so we could sign one and just move him around the diamond as we give the young guys around them an occasional breather. If that’s the goal, Frazier is the best of the named guys here, although he’ll also command at least two years. 

The problem with Frazier, aside from the fact that he'll command more money/years, is that he really doesn't hit for much power, something this team badly needs. Edwin Rios or even Anderson would probably be better options at least in that sense.

6 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

No real tradable assets, some bad contracts and injured pitchers.

Reminds of when Dombrowski took over.  It took him a while to erase the sins of his predecessors.

There are some issues for Harris to deal with, sure.  I don't know if I'd say his hands are tied behind his back.

The salary situation could be pretty minimal next season.  If Baez & Rodriguez decide to opt out, everybody that remains (from the current roster) is on the cheaper end.

As far as prospects go, I still think Greene & Torkelson are everyday lineup cornerstones.  If the pitchers can get healthy, I think Fetter can get that side of the ball in pretty good order.

Shorter term they'll need to add some offense for sure.  But again, with a bit of a blank slate as far as salaries go, there should be ample opportunity from the roster/demand side to add to the mix.

And I'll go back to the beginning of the Harris era (which probably includes the offseason) being more about getting systems in order rather than cutting all players that don't fit the mold and replacing them all with players that do fit the mold.