2023 NFL Draft Thread

Mr.TaterSalad

38 minutes ago, Cruzer1 said:

Right now, I prefer having James Houston as a 6th round pick than worrying about drafting Anderson up high in the first. Houston is a tasmanian devil, he's a really rare dude. Stroud looked very good, and I think he's easily QB2 in this draft. I think it's possible that the Lions will draft a QB in the first, which would solve 2 issues; long term stability at the position, and talent for a backup in case something happens to Goff. It would be either Stroud or Richardson for me, Richardson might be the most talented "freak" in this draft.

I don't think Anderson will be there at this point. He was a pipe dream athletic freak you could hope fell into your lap, but I'm certainly not going to complain if Houston/Hutch is the one-two punch of the future, if they continue this level of productivity.

I think they will do their due diligence on QBs, but not feel pressured to take one. Which is appropriate.

1 hour ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I don't think Anderson will be there at this point. He was a pipe dream athletic freak you could hope fell into your lap, but I'm certainly not going to complain if Houston/Hutch is the one-two punch of the future, if they continue this level of productivity.

I think they will do their due diligence on QBs, but not feel pressured to take one. Which is appropriate.

i dont think stroud will be there either.

10 minutes ago, buddha said:

i dont think stroud will be there either.

I agree. I think they are probably looking at either the top corner on their board, a Myles Murphy type DT (not as dominating as Jalen Carter/Will Anderson, but hey Aaron Donald was picked 13th), or plausibly the top RB if they think they are the next big thing.

Just now, MichiganCardinal said:

I agree. I think they are probably looking at either the top corner on their board, a Myles Murphy type DT (not as dominating as Jalen Carter/Will Anderson, but hey Aaron Donald was picked 13th), or plausibly the top RB if they think they are the next big thing.

no running back at 6!!!!!!

no no no no NO!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I wouldn't be surprised if they did it, if they think Bijan Robinson is the next athletic freak of nature for that position. I think they would have seriously considered taking Pitts at 7 if he were there in 21.

take the next athletic freak at cornerback instead.  hell, take two of them.

• Like 1

As I sit here today, my ideal (that will likely change a million more times before April) is probably something like:

1a: Joey Porter Jr., CB, Penn State

1b: Jahmyr Gibbs, RB, Alabama

2a: Jack Campbell, ILB, Iowa

2b: Mazi Smith, DT, Michigan

3: Jarrett Patterson, OG, Notre Dame

5: Jay Ward, DB, LSU

6a: Stetson Bennett, QB, Georgia

6b: Jake Moody, K, Michigan 

Along with another high-priced addition to the secondary in free agency and some cheaper depth additions across the board.

I wouldn't mind Quentin Johnson the WR from TCU. Yeah we have greater needs than WR but I feel in this league you can never have enough weapons and I think Johnson's skill set compliments are other young guys like Jaymo and ARSB. Johnson is the big outside threat in the AJ Brown/Julio Jones type of mold, while you have your speedster in Jamo and shifty/YAC/possession slot guy in ARSB.  He could help make the offense damn near unstoppable. 

13 hours ago, MichiganCardinal said:

As I sit here today, my ideal (that will likely change a million more times before April) is probably something like:

1a: Joey Porter Jr., CB, Penn State

1b: Jahmyr Gibbs, RB, Alabama

2a: Jack Campbell, ILB, Iowa

2b: Mazi Smith, DT, Michigan

3: Jarrett Patterson, OG, Notre Dame

5: Jay Ward, DB, LSU

6a: Stetson Bennett, QB, Georgia

6b: Jake Moody, K, Michigan 

Along with another high-priced addition to the secondary in free agency and some cheaper depth additions across the board.

Mazi is a nt, so he would have to split snaps with Alim. Not a fit. I like Bennet and Moody, and the rest of your picks.

13 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

I wouldn't mind Quentin Johnson the WR from TCU. Yeah we have greater needs than WR but I feel in this league you can never have enough weapons and I think Johnson's skill set compliments are other young guys like Jaymo and ARSB. Johnson is the big outside threat in the AJ Brown/Julio Jones type of mold, while you have your speedster in Jamo and shifty/YAC/possession slot guy in ARSB.  He could help make the offense damn near unstoppable. 

I'd rather re-sign Chark, and stick with the WR corps we have right now.

Alim can play the 3. At Michigan last year when they had Ojabo and Hutch they asked the Dt's to push the pocket and let the edge guys go to work. Those two would really clog up the middle running downs. And they they can sub in Paschel on third and long to rush from the inside. Or Levi if his back ever heals.

I'd rather they draft Carter or Bresee, but adding a nose could work.

45 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

The topic on 97.1 the Ticket today is will the Lions draft Michael Mayer, TE out of Notre Dame, with their second 1st round pick. UGH, here we go again! 😞

Easiest solution to this problem is to not listen to baiting radio.

• Like 2

I think the only route for the Lions will be to draft an edge rusher with their top pick some kind of help in the defensive backfield or a WR with their other first round pick.  I think Holmes has a lot higher IQ than Bob Quinn, so no TEs or RBs with first rounders (and no slow CB who played against lousy Big Ten WRs and QBs at #3).  Positional value in the draft makes a lot of sense-Bob Quinn had no clue based on his draft picks.  

I have no idea why people want to replace Goff.  Goff has been playing just as well as anyone in the league, and that includes Burrow, Allen, and Mahomes.  He doesn't make the mistakes and turn the ball over like Stafford.  I am not sure what else you want in a QB.  He distributes the ball to the playmakers.  And anyway, Stroud, Levis, and Richardson will be busts anyway.  Young might be as good as Goff one day, but none of those guys are any sort of improvement over Goff.

40 minutes ago, tiger2022 said:

I think the only route for the Lions will be to draft an edge rusher with their top pick some kind of help in the defensive backfield or a WR with their other first round pick.  I think Holmes has a lot higher IQ than Bob Quinn, so no TEs or RBs with first rounders (and no slow CB who played against lousy Big Ten WRs and QBs at #3).  Positional value in the draft makes a lot of sense-Bob Quinn had no clue based on his draft picks.  

I have no idea why people want to replace Goff.  Goff has been playing just as well as anyone in the league, and that includes Burrow, Allen, and Mahomes.  He doesn't make the mistakes and turn the ball over like Stafford.  I am not sure what else you want in a QB.  He distributes the ball to the playmakers.  And anyway, Stroud, Levis, and Richardson will be busts anyway.  Young might be as good as Goff one day, but none of those guys are any sort of improvement over Goff.

Holmes talked to the media a lot last year about avoiding "boxes" and boxing themselves into picks. He doesn't like limiting his options. I think if you gave him truth serum today, he would honestly say they haven't ruled out any position (ok, maybe special teams, but you get my point) from the first round... But, I think that as time passes, the rating of individual players will vary based on their position and we won't see a TE taken in the 1st (probably not a RB either). All else being equal, an edge rusher or the top corner in the draft is going to likely be more valuable to the team than a tight end, especially in this offense that is making Brock Wright look like Rob Gronkowski... That isn't a foregone conclusion just based on their position though. I think if Kyle Pitts was there at #7 in 2020, he would have been seriously considered.

I agree regarding Goff. If there was any question about his place on this team in 2023, he's answered those convincingly. I do think a late-round flyer of a QB would be a good idea. Nate Sudfeld probably won't be on the roster next season. I like Stetson Bennett as a guy who should be available in the 6th or 7th Round, has shown the smarts and ability to be a team leader that wins games and championships despite not being the best player on the field, and most importantly, takes care of the ball. Seems like an ideal backup QB.

1 hour ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I agree regarding Goff.

LOL - yeah, the question around Goff is getting close to turning around 180 deg. It's almost as reasonable to ask they they will be able to afford him when his deal is up as whether they want him until his deal is up.

I'm all in on CBs. I think the position has always been unrated, and even if it gets more love recently - I'd still say it's under rated.  I think part of it is that on the way up so many of the great potential CBs end up on the other side of the ball that there are never enough guys in the league with the physical talent to show how important the position can be if you could get the best athletes there.

Edited by gehringer_2

"Goff has been playing just as well as anyone in the league, and that includes Burrow, Allen, and Mahomes. "

Perhaps if you re-read what I wrote, you will see I said he has been playing just as well.  I don't want to make enemies on the board, but sometimes embellishing and exaggerating what other people post is kind of a "jerk move."  But you do you. 

Guess the only way you can be considered a good QB is to run around and make sidearm throws.  I don't recall ever seeing Joe Montana doing anything like that.  The purpose of a QB is to make great decisions and deliver the ball to play makers.  And 15 TDs to 0 INTs, well if that isn't good enough for some people, I guess you are just never happy.

Edited by tiger2022