2023 NFL Draft Thread

Mr.TaterSalad

55 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Can you imagine drag racing in downtown Ann Arbor?    Doesn't seem like a good place for that.   Downtown Athens is very similar (I've lived in both places).    Just so dumb.    

No problem. Washtenaw east of Stadium, Huron Parkway, Jackson Rd west of Wagner. All within minutes of campus....

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

If I were Goff and they drafted a QB in the 1st round, I would ask for a trade. 

I think you have to learn from the Packers ineptitude. If taking a QB is on the table, I would be up front with Goff about it right now. That Goff is your QB in 2023, and that any QB taken is a development move for the future. If Goff plays how he did in the second half of 2022, there aren’t more than five QBs in the NFL today who would dethrone him, and he knows that.

30 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

I was all aboard the draft Stroud or Young wago at the start of last season and even into the first half of the season. But Jared Goff played like a top-tier QB in the league for much of the season, but especially in the final 8-9 games to close it out. I spent years throwing shade at and picking apart Matt Stafford because his performance wasn't good enough or he couldn't beat good defenses or we never won a playoff game with him at QB. He proved me wrong and so too it seems would Goff if I nitpicked his game, manipulated stats to make him look lesser, and demanded he be traded.

Does Jared Goff's game still have his minor flaws? Yes! We need to see Goff replicate what he did last year before signing him to a long-term extension. I'd personally like to see his completion% jump up a point or point and a half (he ranked 19th among active starters last year with a 65.1 completion %) and his air yards completion% go up as well. I'd also like to see him fumble a bit less (he had 7 on the year).

But damn if Goff didn't play really well last year. Jared Goff finished the season top 7 in yards, top 10 in completed air yards, top 5 in TDs, top 5 in QBR, took among the fewest sacks for starters who played the full season, and only threw 7 INTs. He did it all while having strong performances against good defenses like The Eagles, Bills, and Jaguars. He wasn't simply feasting on the weak like I always accused Stafford of doing.

If what Goff did down this past year, combined with the fact that he's already proven he can take a team to the Super Bowl, doesn't warrant him getting a shot at being this teams long-term starter, then what would? Do we need to see him win a playoff game first before fully trusting him or just replicate last season? I think to MB's point, Goff would have the right to feel insecure about his job and a bit upset if his incredibly strong performance last year, especially down the stretch. I think he's earned the right next year to prove he is our long-term starter, without having the fear of his replacement waiting in the wings, ready to go at every moment.

I still like Bryce Young and CJ Stroud as prospects, that hasn't changed. I still feel both have the potential to be very solid starting QBs in this league. If there was a surefire Patrick Mahomes or Joe Burrow like prospect and the Lions had the chance to draft one of them at #6, I might be changing my tune and advocating for that. But neither Young nor Stroud are viewed at that level. Given that and what Goff did this past year, he has earned the right, unimpeded by a rookie, to prove he is this organizations starting QB for the long haul.

Edited by Mr.TaterSalad

2 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I think you have to learn from the Packers ineptitude. If taking a QB is on the table, I would be up front with Goff about it right now. That Goff is your QB in 2023, and that any QB taken is a development move for the future. If Goff plays how he did in the second half of 2022, there aren’t more than five QBs in the NFL today who would dethrone him, and he knows that.

If I'm Goff and the Lions came to me like that, I would tell them I want to play for another team where they think I'm the future. You accomodated Matthew Stafford in his request so honor my request. 

I don't know about other teams but Id but the chances of the Lions drafting him at next to 0. I just don't see any way Holmes risks letting a possible bad apple infiltrate the culture that they built.

Also after preaching the importance of character it would be extremely hypocritical and not come off good to use a high pick on a guy like that. 

1 hour ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Can you imagine drag racing in downtown Ann Arbor?    Doesn't seem like a good place for that.   Downtown Athens is very similar (I've lived in both places).    Just so dumb.    

I thought the story said just outside Athens. I've never been there, but looking at Google Earth I see a few roads where drag racing could happen 

Here’s his statement.  Not sure why Elon put a warning on it. 

I’ll go out on a limb and suggest the inaccurate information is the suggestion that he didn’t fully cooperate with police and changed his story many times.  I believe the person that reported this part is Mike Florio aka The King of Inaccurate Information.

3 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

I thought the story said just outside Athens. I've never been there, but looking at Google Earth I see a few roads where drag racing could happen 

The reports I was reading say they were weaving in and out of traffic and even going the wrong direction at some points. 

9 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

If I'm Goff and the Lions came to me like that, I would tell them I want to play for another team where they think I'm the future. You accomodated Matthew Stafford in his request so honor my request. 

If he did I would take that into account when deciding whether to take a QB. I don’t think he would though. It’s in his best interest to play like a $40MM quarterback next season, so that either the Lions or someone else pays him that much on his next contract. His best chance of doing that is here.

4 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

Here’s his statement.  Not sure why Elon put a warning on it. 

I’ll go out on a limb and suggest the inaccurate information is the suggestion that he didn’t fully cooperate with police and changed his story many times.  I believe the person that reported this part is Mike Florio aka The King of Inaccurate Information.

Hate it when my caps lock gets stuck on.

I wouldn’t go on any truther crusade against the authorities in Athens though if I were Carter. Take your misdemeanors with a “yes sir, sorry sir” before anyone gets pissed with you enough to look for a felony. Two people died. This is really bad.

36 minutes ago, Shinzaki said:

So...if Carter is off the board for teams picking at the top of the draft...does this make it more likely tht Lions go corner at 6? One less DL at the top

I still have Wilson/ Murphy ahead of the CB's...

If they talk the Panthers into a pick swap, I would say yes at #9.

If they remain at #6... I don't know what the Lions are thinking so... 50/50 they take one of Wilson/ Murphy whichever one falls OR they go after their top-ranked CB...?

Just a guess.

48 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Why?

If it's Anthony Richardson (I hope the Lions do NOT draft him...):

He won't be ready to start for at least two years...

And Goff is the starter for the next two years...

So I see ZERO issue here...

Just now, MichiganCardinal said:

If he did I would take that into account when deciding whether to take a QB. I don’t think he would though. It’s in his best interest to play like a $40MM quarterback next season, so that either the Lions or someone else pays him that much on his next contract. His best chance of doing that is here.

I think Carolina would be a good fit for Goff. Have Reich as head coach, familiarity with Staley, a solid team and the favorites to win a weak division. 

21 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

In other words:

You're advocating for Goff to be a little bitch.

I don't think he acts the way you want him to act.

But that's just me...

2 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

I think Carolina would be a good fit for Goff. Have Reich as head coach, familiarity with Staley, a solid team and the favorites to win a weak division. 

If Carolina wants to offer (3) 1sts starting in 2024, plus a 2024 2nd/ 3rd/ and 4th round picks for Goff...

Hmmm....

3 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

Why?

If it's Anthony Richardson (I hope the Lions do NOT draft him...):

He won't be ready to start for at least two years...

And Goff is the starter for the next two years...

So I see ZERO issue here...

Because it means the Lions aren't committed to Goff and he will be looking over his shoulder like he was on the Rams. It means he isn't getting a long term contract from the Lions. If I'm Goff I expect the Lions to come to me to discuss a contract extension, not my replacement. Goff is coming off a Pro Bowl season. He doesn't need to be someone's babysitter. 

1 minute ago, Motown Bombers said:

Because it means the Lions aren't committed to Goff and he will be looking over his shoulder like he was on the Rams. It means he isn't getting a long term contract from the Lions. If I'm Goff I expect the Lions to come to me to discuss a contract extension, not my replacement. Goff is coming off a Pro Bowl season. He doesn't need to be someone's babysitter. 

The best way for him to prove he deserves a long-term contract, from anyone...

Is to prove it, with the Lions, in 2023.

Goff is probably looking at one more big contract, of which next season will dictate a lot. If he plays out of his mind like he did in the last 10 games last season, it’s not outrageous to think he could get something like 4 years / $150MM.

Could he bet on himself, go elsewhere, and still get it? Maybe. Carolina would make sense if he did. But the best odds by far of that happening is in Detroit, in year three with Dan Campbell, Ben Johnson, and the offensive weapons here. And if he does it, and then goes elsewhere to get that payday while Detroit goes to a sophomore who backed him up in 23? No skin off Goff’s back.

20 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Not a fan of drafting a QB in the first round, however what is wrong with a little competition.

Who is currently #2 on the Lions QB depth chart? Would be signing a guy like Heinicke who was quite serviceable for Washington for a large part of last season be considered a threat? Especially since TH was quite popular with the players. Or another one of the guys who may be displaced after the postseason round of QB roulette. I'd rather have a backup in place heading into training camp than to scramble at all the picked over leftovers.

But then I come from the era out Jurgensen and Kilmer.....Staubach and Morton to name a couple.

I expect Goff to have more stones than wanting to be traded.

2 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

Not a fan of drafting a QB in the first round, however what is wrong with a little competition.

Who is currently #2 on the Lions QB depth chart? Would be signing a guy like Heinicke who was quite serviceable for Washington for a large part of last season be considered a threat? Especially since TH was quite popular with the players. Or another one of the guys who may be displaced after the postseason round of QB roulette. I'd rather have a backup in place heading into training camp than to scramble at all the picked over leftovers.

But then I come from the era out Jurgensen and Kilmer.....Staubach and Morton to name a couple.

I expect Goff to have more stones than wanting to be traded.

Who drafts QB in the 1st round for competition? It's weird there was never this drumbeat for drafting a QB high when Stafford was 28. 

Was Stafford a little bitch when he asked to be traded? 

Stafford was with the Lions with 12 years where they were nothing much more than stumblebums. He's nearing the end of his career (most likely); and the Lions were just starting ANOTHER rebuild from scratch.

Can you see the reasoning in asking for a trade?

Goff has recovered perceptions of him from leaving the Rams with a bad taste in a lot of peoples' mouths, whether that was his fault or not. This Lions team looks like it's on the upswing and could become a dangerous playoff/ SB contender for the next 5-ish years +/-, and Goff is a huge part of that. Regardless of whatever other QB moves they make BEHIND him.

Quit telling us what YOU would do. Goff is looking at making a run to the playoffs with the Lions. And trusts Holmes/ Campbell implicitly (I don't know that, but I believe he has intimated that and they've been heavily pro-Goff-Positive in ALL of their public communications about him...). What would HE do, regardless of how they BACKFILL the backup QB spot(s)?