2023 NFL Draft Thread

Mr.TaterSalad

1 minute ago, Motown Bombers said:

Who drafts QB in the 1st round for competition? It's weird there was never this drumbeat for drafting a QB high when Stafford was 28. 

PS: I'm on record as NOT wanting Richardson in the 1st but rather, Hooker in the 2nd or 3rd... wherever the Lions can land him. 

Just to be on record here...

8 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

Goff is probably looking at one more big contract, of which next season will dictate a lot. If he plays out of his mind like he did in the last 10 games last season, it’s not outrageous to think he could get something like 4 years / $150MM.

Could he bet on himself, go elsewhere, and still get it? Maybe. Carolina would make sense if he did. But the best odds by far of that happening is in Detroit, in year three with Dan Campbell, Ben Johnson, and the offensive weapons here. And if he does it, and then goes elsewhere to get that payday while Detroit goes to a sophomore who backed him up in 23? No skin off Goff’s back.

If he gets a big contract offer from the Lions, it should be after the 2023 season...

IMO.

3 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I agree. I think 2023 is a prove-it year for Goff, whether his long-term deal is here or elsewhere.

If it's elsewhere, that means...

We've traded him to the Panthers for (3) 1sts, a 2nd 3rd and 4th.

If Holmes/ Campbell feel they need to do that...

I will trust them.

That also means that...

Hendon Hooker will be our 2024 starter.

😉

😁

Edited by 1984Echoes

21 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Because it means the Lions aren't committed to Goff and he will be looking over his shoulder like he was on the Rams. It means he isn't getting a long term contract from the Lions. If I'm Goff I expect the Lions to come to me to discuss a contract extension, not my replacement. Goff is coming off a Pro Bowl season. He doesn't need to be someone's babysitter. 

If Goff is a professional, he'll deal with it. Favre, who was a Hall of Famer, played out the string with the Packers after drafting Rodgers, same with Rodgers after Love was drafted and Smith when Mahomes was drafted before he was dealt a year later.

Goff had a good year but his contract is also up in 2 years and he might command more than he's worth so he should recognize that this is a business decision if they drafted a QB knowing how valuable the 5 year rookie contract is. It's not like the rookie will replace him right away, he'll get 1 year minimum and more like 2 to either build his value for a trade or become the long term solution here. If he demanded a trade because they drafted a QB because he can't handle the heat, that would reflect poorly on him tbh.

Personally, I wouldn't draft a QB high in this draft but if the Lions did I wouldn't expect Goff to pout and demand out.

Edited by NYLion

4 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

As of today, Stroud is the only QB I would consider at 6. Maybe Richardson at 18, but I’m not over the moon about him.

I really don't like Richardson's 54% completion percentage.

It might not be al his fault.

But I don't trust him and I don't want to draft him, especially at #6 or #18.

If he falls to the 2nd and Holmes thinks "he's the guy"... well, I guess I'll get behind it.

But I just don't see him for the Lions.

14 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Because it means the Lions aren't committed to Goff and he will be looking over his shoulder like he was on the Rams. It means he isn't getting a long term contract from the Lions. If I'm Goff I expect the Lions to come to me to discuss a contract extension, not my replacement. Goff is coming off a Pro Bowl season. He doesn't need to be someone's babysitter. 

Using the same line of thinking, if I’m Brad Holmes, I expect my QB to be a leader and professional and go about his business next season.   They aren’t drafting someone to take his job next year or even the following year assuming he plays well.  

But you’re not Goff and I’m not Holmes so who really knows what they would do.  I do know that Holmes has to make moves that are in the best interests of the Lions regardless of how that impacts Goff’s future.  

2 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

2022 was the prove it year for Goff. He proved it. Well, we need another prove it year. In the meantime, we're going to draft your replacement just in case. 

Oh...

He won the Super Bowl for the Lions in 2022?

Or even a playoff game with the Lions?

I didn't catch that...

5 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

You said you wouldn't draft a QB in the 1st round but then said what is wrong with a little competition meaning there is merit to drafting a QB in the 1st round. 

I also suggested that maybe sign Taylor Heineke, who was a starter for Washington.  Or is that out because he might offer competition?

1 minute ago, NYLion said:

If Goff is a professional, he'll deal with it. Favre, who was a Hall of Famer, played out the string with the Packers after drafting Rodgers, same with Rodgers after Love was drafted and Smith when Mahomes was drafted before he was dealt a year later.

Goff had a good year but his contract is also up in 2 years and he might command more than he's worth so he should recognize that this is a business decision if they drafted a QB knowing how valuable the 5 year rookie contract is. It's not like the rookie will replace him right away, he'll get 1 year minimum and more like 2 to either build his value for a trade or become the long term solution here. If he demanded a trade because they drafted a QB because he can't handle the heat, that would reflect poorly on him tbh.

Lets start with Alex Smith. The Chiefs gave a 2nd round pick for Smith when he was 29 and signed him to an extension. He played four seasons for the Chiefs before they drafted Mahomes when Smith was 32. They comitted to Smith and after a while moved on. It's not the same. The comparison should really be with Alex Smith and Colin Kapernick. I have no idea if Smith asked out but it worked out better for Smith and the 49ers fading into irrelevance for a while. 

All indications were that Favre was not happy with drafting Rodgers and it wasn't a clean break between Favre and the Packers. You also didn't mention Rodgers and Love. Rodgers has the Packers by the balls and they wasted a 1st round pick on a guy who started one game in three years. They now have to decide if they want to pick up his 5th year option. 

9 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

Oh...

He won the Super Bowl for the Lions in 2022?

Or even a playoff game with the Lions?

I didn't catch that...

Oh we're onto the whether he won a playoff game. It's Stafford 2.0 

FWIW, I would consider the Packers game to be a playoff game. Elimination game for the Packers in Lambeau where the Lions were 3-27 in the past 30 years. Goff out played Rodgers in the 4th to win the game. In 2014 the Lions had a chance to clinch the division in Green Bay and they got rolled. 

Edited by Motown Bombers

carter is charged with a misdemeanor, he wont do jail time and will likely get community service.

the way it works in georgia - or the way it worked when i had highway death cases in georgia - is the state police investigate it and release a pretty comprehensive report.  the quality if that report is sometimes questionable, but it is pretty comprehensive 

we'll know more in the years to come when carter and the bar they were at get sued for wrongful death, dramshop, etc.

3 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

My dad had 5 DUI's by 1980. He lost his license in Michigan, went to Minnesota and got a license using a relative's address, lost that license and went down to Florida and got another license. He worked at a Chevy dealership during the muscle car era and would take customer's cars and drag race them. Drinking and driving has been going on since cars and alchohol were invented. My dad was able to get away with it for so long because they didn't have the systems we have today to track when people have their license suspended. 

Even today's systems fail all the time.  My ex son-in-law had more than 6 warrants out for his arrest on drunk driving - and he had to appear IN COURT on a custody issue - and they still didn't lock him up.  He was right in the building & they did nothing.

As far as the draft goes, I can definitely see Holmes bringing in another veteran QB to compete with Sudfeld for backup, & take a flyer on a QB later in the draft to develop, but I don't want anything to do with a QB early.  Bryce Young will be gone by pick 6.  Probably Stroud too.  I don't see him trading up.  & I want nothing to do with Richardson or Hooker. 

5 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

I also suggested that maybe sign Taylor Heineke, who was a starter for Washington.  Or is that out because he might offer competition?

Heineke isn't signing in Detroit. He's not going to a place where the starter didn't miss a snap and has only missed 3 games due to injury in 5 years. Heinicke is a backup. I would rather sign a veteran backup. I personally like Jameis Winston if the Saints cut him loose but again he's going to go to a place where he has a chance to start. Heinicke isn't going to start over Goff. 

3 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Oh we're onto the whether he won a playoff game. It's Stafford 2.0 

FWIW, I would consider the Packers game to be a playoff game. Elimination game for the Packers in Lambeau where the Lions were 3-27 in the past 30 years. Goff out played Rodgers in the 4th to win the game. In 2014 the Lions had a chance to clinch the division in Green Bay and they got rolled. 

All I can say is...

I'm glad Holmes is making these decisions and not Motown Bombers.

You've locked onto Goff to the exclusion of making any other necessary decisions that benefit the Lions.

Wait, you're not his dad, are you?

2 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

All I can say is...

I'm glad Holmes is making these decisions and not Motown Bombers.

You've locked onto Goff to the exclusion of making any other necessary decisions that benefit the Lions.

Wait, you're not his dad, are you?

Backup QB has very little benefit to the Lions for a QB that was good and didn't miss a snap. You can actually use those high round picks for players that will actually start next year. You want to draft a guy that will be the 3rd string QB with a 2nd round pick. 

9 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

We'll just have to agree to disagree.

We're going around in circles right now so I'm getting out.

You believe what you believe, and I believe otherwise.

We'll see what Holmes does/ decides. That will settle it for me.

Don't trust Goof long term. Not event a little. He has played half a season well in 4 years. That is it.

26 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Lets start with Alex Smith. The Chiefs gave a 2nd round pick for Smith when he was 29 and signed him to an extension. He played four seasons for the Chiefs before they drafted Mahomes when Smith was 32. They comitted to Smith and after a while moved on. It's not the same. The comparison should really be with Alex Smith and Colin Kapernick. I have no idea if Smith asked out but it worked out better for Smith and the 49ers fading into irrelevance for a while. 

All indications were that Favre was not happy with drafting Rodgers and it wasn't a clean break between Favre and the Packers. You also didn't mention Rodgers and Love. Rodgers has the Packers by the balls and they wasted a 1st round pick on a guy who started one game in three years. They now have to decide if they want to pick up his 5th year option. 

Yeah but they still played, Smith for 1 year and Favre and Rodgers for multiple years.

I also don't expect Goff to be a diva like Favre or Rodgers and make a stink about it. Based on what I know about Goff and this management team/coaching staff, it's that if they draft a QB it would be after they have a sit down with Goff and explain why they're going that route so I don't see this being a toxic situation if that happens.

The fact of the matter is that while Goff had a good season (very good), he's not an elite QB so the short of it is that everybody outside of the very elite QBs are replaceable especially when this QB is due for a significant raise in 2 years which could be a cap crippler if he continues to play well within this offense. Is Goff, a lets say top 10 but not top 5 QB worth $50m+/yr? Even guys like Daniel Jones are going to cash in because QBs get paid but how many of these guys are actually worth that? Not an easy decision either way but I can understand the allure of taking a high upside, cheap for the next 5 years, QB if they have reservations about opening up the vault for a good not great QB. Not the route I'd go but I think there's some merit to it from a financial aspect.