2023 NFL Draft Thread

Mr.TaterSalad

2 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

I think it would be worse if the Lions won the division, win a playoff game, and then you decide to draft a QB and going into 2024 having to part ways with Goff. If you don't think Goff is your future than what's the point of competing this year? 

As long as Goff keeps up the level of play he has shown I don't want to draft a replacement period but I'm just speaking in the hypothetical situation that they do indeed want the cheap replacement.

To me drafting one now doesn't make sense unless they absolutely love the qb and feel that they wouldn't be able to acquire a better one in the coming draft(s).

I think next year the timeline just lines up better cause the team will be better all around so it makes it that much easier for a young qb to succeed along with matching up better with the team's salary structure. 

Goff is a FA after 24 so in this scenario the rookie qb sits under the learning tree for one year than takes over the reigns with 4 years of a rookie deal left instead of 3 if we draft a qb this year. 

4 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

As long as Goff keeps up the level of play he has shown I don't want to draft a replacement period but I'm just speaking in the hypothetical situation that they do indeed want the cheap replacement.

To me drafting one now doesn't make sense unless they absolutely love the qb and feel that they wouldn't be able to acquire a better one in the coming draft(s).

I think next year the timeline just lines up better cause the team will be better all around so it makes it that much easier for a young qb to succeed along with matching up better with the team's salary structure. 

Goff is a FA after 24 so in this scenario the rookie qb sits under the learning tree for one year than takes over the reigns with 4 years of a rookie deal left instead of 3 if we draft a qb this year. 

I'm not in the draft a QB camp, but if you are not committed to Goff in terms of beyond his current contract, now is the year to draft a QB. They can most likely do it without having to trade a pick. They would also have the ability to trade Goff next year for picks. If they wait till next year, they would most likely have to trade picks, and the best they could do with Goff is let him walk and hope for a comp pick. 

17 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

I think it would be worse if the Lions won the division, win a playoff game, and then you decide to draft a QB and going into 2024 having to part ways with Goff. If you don't think Goff is your future than what's the point of competing this year? 

I suppose you don't have to take a step back when you change QBs, (Montana->Young, Farve->Rodgers) but it's a pretty unique situation when the planets align for you that way.

53 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

If they do draft a QB, Goff has to be gone within a year. I would trade Goff now and sign Garappolo to a one year deal. 

That's sort of interesting if trading Goff brought back the draft pick you need to take your franchise QB, but I suppose that's almost impossible to insure.

2 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

That's sort of interesting if trading Goff brought back the draft pick you need to take your franchise QB, but I suppose that's almost impossible to insure.

I don't think they get a top 10 pick for Goff but a package similar to what the Colts gave for Wentz is reasonable. 

Goff is probably going to want a deal next off season. So if they do give him one that kind of locks the Lions into Goff for a while or take a massive cap hit. Or they could wait until he is a FA after the 24 season and roll the dice on that.

Tough call, but they have to look at all options starting with this draft.

1 minute ago, Stanley70 said:

Goff is probably going to want a deal next off season. So if they do give him one that kind of locks the Lions into Goff for a while or take a massive cap hit. Or they could wait until he is a FA after the 24 season and roll the dice on that.

Tough call, but they have to look at all options starting with this draft.

yeah - it would sort of be the ultimate irony if he plays really well next season, cements his claim as a top QB, and the Lions problem is not getting rid of him but figuring out how to afford him.😱

I frankly like Calijah Kancey better than Bryan Bresee as far as IDL prospects go because of his insane athletic upside and am not as worried about his size. After all, Aaron Donald, another great Pitt DT, is only about an inch taller and plays only 5 or so pounds heavier than Kancey.

24 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

I frankly like Calijah Kancey better than Bryan Bresee as far as IDL prospects go because of his insane athletic upside and am not as worried about his size. After all, Aaron Donald, another great Pitt DT, is only about an inch taller and plays only 5 or so pounds heavier than Kancey.

Donald is an extreme exception of a guy that size succeeding on the interior and that's mainly because of his freakish strength that Kancey doesn't have which is partially why he struggles against the run. Kancey also has arms that are 2 inches shorter. I'd look at him at 18 for sure but I think 6 is too rich.

Edited by NYLion

Holmes: “It’s easier to get worse at QB than it is to get better.”

Interviews Richardson at combine. 

Fans: Let’s trade Goff to Minnesota and sign Jimmy G as a bridge to Richardson. 

I guess anything is possible, and I do expect Holmes to make a bold move in the draft. But drafting Richardson at 6 is not it. 

My Big Board 3.1

1. Will Anderson, EDGE, Alabama*
  2. CJ Stroud, QB, Ohio State*
  3. Bijan Robinson, RB, Texas*
  4. Tyree Wilson, EDGE, Texas Tech*
  5. Bryce Young, QB, Alabama
  6. Jalen Carter, DT, Georgia^
  7. Peter Skoronski, OT, Northwestern*
  8. Quentin Johnston, WR, TCU*
  9. Joey Porter Jr., CB, Penn State*
  10. Myles Murphy, EDGE, Clemson*
  11. Christian Gonzalez, CB, Oregon
  12. Devon Witherspoon, CB, Illinois
  13. Paris Johnson, OT, Ohio State
  14. O’Cyrus Torrence, OG, Florida*
  15. Jaxon Smith-Njigba, WR, Ohio State^
  16. Calijah Yancey, DT, Pitt*
  17. Anthony Richardson, QB, Florida
  18. Jahmyr Gibbs, RB, Alabama*
  19. Isaiah Foskey, EDGE, Notre Dame
  20. Tuli Tuipuloto, EDGE, USC
  21. Jordan Addison, WR, USC
  22. Lukas Van Ness, EDGE, Iowa
  23. Brian Branch, DB, Alabama*
  24. Antonio Johnson, DB, Texas A&M*
  25. Will McDonald, EDGE, Iowa State
  26. Michael Mayer, TE, Notre Dame^
  27. Darnell Washington, TE, Georgia*
  28. Drew Sanders, LB, Arkansas
  29. Trenton Simpson, LB, Clemson
  30. Quan Martin, DB, Illinois*
  31. Henry To’oTo’o, LB, Alabama
  32. Tyler Steen, OT, Alabama*
  33. Dalton Kincaid, TE, Utah^
  34. Will Levis, QB, Kentucky
  35. Mazi Smith, DT, Michigan*
  36. Cody Mauch, OG, North Dakota State*
  37. Jaelyn Duncan, OT, Maryland
  38. Jack Campbell, LB, Iowa*
  39. Cam Smith, CB, South Carolina
  40. Luke Musgrave, TE, Oregon State

*Target for DET

^Not interested for DET

If a QB falls, trade the Rams back their 1st & 2nd rounders this year for Jalen Ramsey & next year's 1st rounder.  That way if you really want a QB, you can give it a shot next year when the class is better, you improve at corner, & keep a 1st rounder this year.

42 minutes ago, buddha said:

i hope the lions draft anthony richardson at 6 and trade up for jalen carter just to watch this board's collective heads explode.  🙂

Id disagree with the pick but I wouldnt be too critical if they drafted Richardson but if they traded up for Carter I would definitely question that and be pretty pissed about it just cause doing that seems to go against everything they preached about character.

Even if he truly is a good kid that just made an isolated dumb decision like kids can do it still would be hypocritical in my eyes.

With that said Id still root and hope for the best and do think he'd be a great fit on the field just am worried about the effect he could have away from the field. 

IF we are open to a QB at #6, I'm opposed to Will Levis (I think he's the prototypical riser just because he's a tall QB); I am in favor of Anthony Richardson only because I trust Holmes (if it was a different regime, or Holmes didn't have his track record I would be very much opposed); and I am hesitant on Bryce Young (I don't think he will workout in the NFL, but I see what people like, I also don't think he will be there).

The only QB I would give an unequivocal thumbs up to taking if he's there is CJ Stroud. I think he is a perfect fit into the offense that has been created around Goff. He is that pro-style passer like Goff, but is more athletic, with a much higher ceiling than Goff. He's the guy that can sit for a season behind Goff, inherit the offense in 2024, and potentially take it to the next level, without changing anything about the scheme.

I think Stroud is definitely the safest and most ready QB, if we drafted him I'd be willing to shop Goff this offseason cause I think he'd be able to step in right away in this situation and be fine. I wouldn't want to waste a year of him on the sidelines cause I don't think it's needed. With that said I question the upside with him, to me he's a guy that I feel like Goff needs the right system and players around him and probably isn't the type of guy that you can count on to carry the team if all the pieces aren't there. 

1 hour ago, buddha said:

i hope the lions draft anthony richardson at 6 and trade up for jalen carter just to watch this board's collective heads explode.  🙂

My Head Explosion draft is a trade down with the Panthers for their 2nd round pick, and:

#9 (Panthers) Devon Weatherspoon, CB

#18 Bijan Robinson, RB

#39 (Panthers) Steve Avila, OG

#48 Hendon Hooker, QB

#55 (Vikings) Jordan Battle, S

#81 Daiyan Henley, LB

41 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

My Head Explosion draft is a trade down with the Panthers for their 2nd round pick, and:

#9 (Panthers) Devon Weatherspoon, CB

#18 Bijan Robinson, RB

#39 (Panthers) Steve Avila, OG

#48 Hendon Hooker, QB

#55 (Vikings) Jordan Battle, S

#81 Daiyan Henley, LB

FWIW I just saw a mock from the draftnetwork.com with us trading with the Panthers and in their trade they have us getting not only their 2nd but a 2024 1st as well. It may seem like a stretch to get that much but with 2 possible QB needy teams between us I think they'd pay that if there is a QB(s) they covet. Anyways if that were to happen I think I'd go something like this.

#9 Quentin Johnson. After looking more thoroughly through the WRs I soften my previous stance about not being able to find a big body "X" WR later on but I don't think there is anybody in his class and the disparity between him and his peers in that regard is more than we'd get at another position. I'd also be open to Bijan here for the similar reasons.

#18 Top CB available. I feel all the top 6-7 corners are similar so whomever you have highest take here

#39 Jack Campbell MLB. I really covet him and he might be gone by this point but if he's available still late in the 1st I'd consider trading up to get him. 

#48 Mazi Smith DT

#55 Darnell Wright OT I think this is a good target area for an O lineman so if he is not there and there is a similar ranked player then I'd take him. 

Edited by RandyMarsh

13 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

I think Stroud is definitely the safest and most ready QB, if we drafted him I'd be willing to shop Goff this offseason cause I think he'd be able to step in right away in this situation and be fine. I wouldn't want to waste a year of him on the sidelines cause I don't think it's needed. With that said I question the upside with him, to me he's a guy that I feel like Goff needs the right system and players around him and probably isn't the type of guy that you can count on to carry the team if all the pieces aren't there. 

I think all QBs can benefit from a year behind another guy. Not to say that Mahomes would have busted without it, or that Zach Wilson would have succeeded with it, but I do think both of their careers were affected by what they did or didn't do their rookie season.

I think Stroud was mismanaged by Ohio State, or at the very least not utilized to his abilities, maybe by design. His Georgia tape makes you go "where the hell was that??"... The way he uses his feet to evade the rush, keeping plays alive while scanning the field and buying time for his receivers to get open in that game was something else, and it wasn't something really seen in the regular season, which makes me think it may have been Ohio State coaching encouraging him to be conservative and take the sack in those situations, because they knew they were the better team and would win games if they limited turnovers.

A year in a good system with good coaching, where he can pick up some of those skills and better integrate his feet into his game, could put him into that elite QB tier, even if he's doing it a different way than the other guys in that tier.