2023 NFL Draft Thread

Mr.TaterSalad

6 minutes ago, KL2 said:

Plus you can't use him in those milk mustache ads

Has to be crossed off the NFC North boards immediately. A yearly trip to Wisconsin? I'm also disappointed this never came out while he was at Kentucky. The College Game Day signs would have been next level.

(also I question the veracity of this report if it wasn't already clear)

5 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

That is legit one of the weirdest things I have ever heard. In a similar vein  I guess the wrestler The Undertaker used to have this weird phobia of cucumbers so its not the first time I heard of something like this. But I dont think he screamed in fear at the sight of them though. 

It has to be satire. If it's not, he couldn't even play in Green Bay. 

1 hour ago, MichiganCardinal said:

Does this mean he's got that DOG? As a wise man once told me, "it's all DOG around this mug"

Witherspoon was on next. He literally said, “I got that dawg in me.” I could see them going for Witherspoon at 18 but not six. 

PS: Your boy Charlie Campbell has Witherspoon slipping to the mid first due to size concerns. And that was before he wasn’t able to perform at the combine. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, buddha said:

4.27 for dj turner.  yikes, son!

So was just reading Matt Miller and Jordan Reid's write up on ESPN about notes from day 2 and they mentioned Turner and Miller has him all the way up to 5th CB now and projecting him as a late 1st rounder.

He had this to say "His Michigan tape showed speed and great change-of-direction ability, but rare speed like this will have NFL teams excited about Turner's potential development as a man coverage cornerback."

If he indeed has rocketed up board I guess I was wrong again when I suggested that I didn't think teams put as much stock in the combine particularly the 40 as before.

4 hours ago, Jason_R said:

Pat Kirwan used to be a coach and front office guy. He likes to ask the combine guys softball questions about scheme, then if they give a good answer, he digs deeper. He had Gonzalez talking about all the coverages, when Oregon ran what against who, and Gonzalez was eating it all up. Kirwan never got to those questions with Witherspoon. 

Also, Gonzalez talked about his athletic family. The guy is a thoroughbred and he knows it. Has that swagger that you want a CB to have, but you don't have to worry he's going to go all Pacman Jones on you. If they took him at 6 I wouldn't be upset. 

the knock on gonzalez is that he's not a physical run defender, wont step up against the run.  great cover guy.

not sure that's what this lions team is looking for in a corner.  they may want someone more physical.

Bryce Ford-Wheaton WR out of WVU just posted only the second perfect score of 10 on the Relative Athletic Score, the only other person to do that was of course Megatron. I haven't been shy about wanting Quentin Johnson but if we can get Bryce later on then I'd be fine on passing on Quentin. BTW here's how he stacked up with Calvin. Despite both getting 10s you can see that Calvin was still head and shoulders above him. Still good company to be in though.

https://ras.football/ras-compare/?p1=16889&p2=7730&pos=WR

On a side note I came across this cool tool while going through the RAS website. It shows where in the draft Pro Bowlers since 2000 have been picked and you can sort it by position.

I particularly was intrigued by QB, the narrative is always that there's no point drafting one after the 1st cause they never hit when in fact the numbers show that they hit after the 1st(especially the 2nd) at a virtually equal to higher clip than any other position. For instance they have a 21% Pro Bowl hit rate in the 2nd, the only positions that are tangibly higher are RBs at 24.62% and Centers at 26.92%. 

https://ras.football/probowl-counts-and-percentages-by-round/

19 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

On a side note I came across this cool tool while going through the RAS website. It shows where in the draft Pro Bowlers since 2000 have been picked and you can sort it by position.

I particularly was intrigued by QB, the narrative is always that there's no point drafting one after the 1st cause they never hit when in fact the numbers show that they hit after the 1st(especially the 2nd) at a virtually equal to higher clip than any other position. For instance they have a 21% Pro Bowl hit rate in the 2nd, the only positions that are tangibly higher are RBs at 24.62% and Centers at 26.92%. 

https://ras.football/probowl-counts-and-percentages-by-round/

The problem is the sample.

Take Drew Brees for example. He made 13 Pro Bowlers. He was drafted in round 2 and accounts for the large percentage take him out of the equation and what happens? The number shifts dramatically.

Getting a hof level player messes with the number.

To be accurate with thing like this you almost always need to french judge it

(Edit to add not to mention pro bowl has lost a lot of luster. Heck a guy who had 4 td made this years)

Edited by KL2

3 hours ago, buddha said:

the knock on gonzalez is that he's not a physical run defender, wont step up against the run.  great cover guy.

not sure that's what this lions team is looking for in a corner.  they may want someone more physical.

I wish they would draft one superb coverage CB and not worry about the tackling resume.

Besides... I'm certain they could talk Gonzalez into making a few tackles.

And pair him with Jamel Dean, who excels at tackling and coverage... and he will learn.

He's still the #1 CB that I want for the Lions.

50 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Bryce Ford-Wheaton WR out of WVU just posted only the second perfect score of 10 on the Relative Athletic Score, the only other person to do that was of course Megatron. I haven't been shy about wanting Quentin Johnson but if we can get Bryce later on then I'd be fine on passing on Quentin. BTW here's how he stacked up with Calvin. Despite both getting 10s you can see that Calvin was still head and shoulders above him. Still good company to be in though.

Only if he’s willing to just go with Wheaton.  No more Fords.   

3 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

Anthony Richardson is absolutely going to tempt someone in the top 3 picks.  

I hope all four QBs tempt teams enough to go in the top five, and that the lone remaining team takes Tyree Wilson or Jalen Carter. The "other teams being stupid" strategy has worked for us in back-to-back seasons, why not make it three in a row?

3 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

I wish they would draft one superb coverage CB and not worry about the tackling resume.

Besides... I'm certain they could talk Gonzalez into making a few tackles.

And pair him with Jamel Dean, who excels at tackling and coverage... and he will learn.

He's still the #1 CB that I want for the Lions.

Just for grins, As per football reference, Brady's Patriots won 6 SB. Their number one AV player was a receiver once, Brady twice, and CB three times.

55 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

That's a helluva RAS score. I went read through a couple of scouting reports on the guy and they seemed positive on the whole with one exception. The one exception that stood out to me is that me might have a case of the drops. I couldn't find a stat to see how many drops he had total or what his drop rate was. Christian Watson last year had a higher drop rate than one would like coming out of college. And of course we all know about stone hands Ebron and after Ebron's tenure hear I am always a bit leery of guys who can't catch with consistency.

15 minutes ago, KL2 said:

The problem is the sample.

Take Drew Brees for example. He made 13 Pro Bowlers. He was drafted in round 2 and accounts for the large percentage take him out of the equation and what happens? The number shifts dramatically.

Getting a hof level player messes with the number.

To be accurate with thing like this you almost always need to french judge it

(Edit to add not to mention pro bowl has lost a lot of luster. Heck a guy who had 4 td made this years)

I don't think it takes into account the number of Pro Bowls you make just if you made one so Brees counts the same as a player that only made it once. I do agree about the sample though and the percentage of solid starters is probably higher at other positions but the overall point is that if you are thinking about getting a true plus player percentage wise your chances are virtually no different at QB than any other position. 

On another note looking at the QB tab on there you can see that QBs in the top 5 hit at a relatively good rate but after that they drop quite a bit even in the 1st round.

31 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

I don't think it takes into account the number of Pro Bowls you make just if you made one so Brees counts the same as a player that only made it once. I do agree about the sample though and the percentage of solid starters is probably higher at other positions but the overall point is that if you are thinking about getting a true plus player percentage wise your chances are virtually no different at QB than any other position. 

On another note looking at the QB tab on there you can see that QBs in the top 5 hit at a relatively good rate but after that they drop quite a bit even in the 1st round.

Except it's silly to compare qb to any other position via draft round.

The numbers have borne it out and even you link says it round 1 qb and high or you are just hoping to get lucky. It's nearly impossible to win without a pro bowl qb where as you can win a lot of games with just a service free safety in round 2.

Edited by KL2

2 minutes ago, KL2 said:

Except it's silly to compare qb to any other position via draft round.

The numbers have borne it out and even you link says it round 1 qb and high or you are just hoping to get lucky. It's nearly impossible to win without a pro bowl qb where as you can win a lot of games with just a service free safety in round 2.

The numbers say that you basically are hoping to get lucky no matter who you draft after round 1 and yeah there is something to be said for getting starting caliber players at other positions but even landing them is low. Unfortunately I don't know how to find what the percentages of that would be but I'd imagine it wouldn't be much more than 1 in 3 in rounds 2-4. If that is somewhat accurate then the choice is a 15% chance of getting a Pro Bowl QB(and as you said it's almost impossible to win without one so getting one is a big deal) or 30-35% of getting a solid guy at a far less valuable position.  

Most of the time I'd choose the latter as would most teams but I don't think it's egregious to think you may be better off taking a chance on the QB and I certainly wouldn't just chalk it up to a wasted pick if one were to do so. 

16 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

The numbers say that you basically are hoping to get lucky no matter who you draft after round 1 and yeah there is something to be said for getting starting caliber players at other positions but even landing them is low. Unfortunately I don't know how to find what the percentages of that would be but I'd imagine it wouldn't be much more than 1 in 3 in rounds 2-4. If that is somewhat accurate then the choice is a 15% chance of getting a Pro Bowl QB(and as you said it's almost impossible to win without one so getting one is a big deal) or 30-35% of getting a solid guy at a far less valuable position.  

Most of the time I'd choose the latter as would most teams but I don't think it's egregious to think you may be better off taking a chance on the QB and I certainly wouldn't just chalk it up to a wasted pick if one were to do so. 

2/3 of the starting qbs in the league were first round picks.  usually high first round picks.  

brees, wilson, brady, montana, are the exception, not the rule.

3 minutes ago, buddha said:

2/3 of the starting qbs in the league were first round picks.  usually high first round picks.  

brees, wilson, brady, montana, are the exception, not the rule.

Again you can say that about any specific position, no matter what position you pick at best you have a 1 in 3 chance of them being above average and the guys that turn out to be elite are indeed the exception not the rule. It may be a little more drastic with QB but it is also far and away the most valuable and expensive position on the field so taking a slightly smaller odds for a far bigger reward could end up paying off in the long run. For the record I'm not advocating doing this for the Lions right now nor have a specific player in mind just saying in general. 

2013:

round 1: ej manuel

outside round 1: geno smith, mike glennon, matt barkley, ryan nassib, tyler wilson, landry jones, brad sorenson, zac dysert, bj daniels, sean renfree.

score no points for either side and may god have mercy on your soul.

2014:

round 1: blake bortles, johnny manziel, teddy bridgewater.

outside round 1: derek carr, jimmy garoppolo, logan thomas, tom savage, aaroj murray, aj mccarron, zach mettenberger, david fales, keith wenning, tajh boyd, garrett gilbert.

ugh.  derek carr was ok, right?  maybe?