2023 NFL Draft Thread

Mr.TaterSalad

10 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

PS:

Guys I'd rather select at #6 than Skoronski: Anderson & Carter, obviously; either CB Gonzalez or Witherspoon, either DE Wilson or Murphy (both have been scouted/ rated as able to swing inside to 3-tech for passing downs or, in scouting terms: "can play all over the DL"); Bijan; one of the QB's only if Holmes deems it so.

I'd be as disappointed in Skoronski at #6 as I would be with a 1st round TE.

Terribly, badly, not-having-a-very-nice-day, want-to-scream-at-a-wall-at-the-top-of-my-lungs-for-two-hours-straight disappointed...

The odds on a CB have just gone up so maybe you are safe....

:classic_wink:

IDK if the Okudah trade changes anything in regards to them drafting a DB early but I think it opens the door for them to surely take one at some point in the draft. I mean who do they have on the roster now that can play CB outside of Sutton, Mosely and Hughes? Are they going to try Melifonwu back there? 

6 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

IDK if the Okudah trade changes anything in regards to them drafting a DB early but I think it opens the door for them to surely take one at some point in the draft. I mean who do they have on the roster now that can play CB outside of Sutton, Mosely and Hughes? Are they going to try Melifonwu back there? 

They still have Jerry Jacobs and Will Harris. 

13 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

i think they were always going to draft a db (or two).  they dont have much depth there at all beyond this year.

melifonwu has shown zero evidence he is an nfl player so far.  not at safety and definitely not at corner.  huge year for him and - if they draft multiple dbs - he may not even make the team.

5 hours ago, 1984Echoes said:

The (3) most critical Lions needs as I see them (not in any order):

3-tech DT. We don't have one. A good inside pass rush "hugely" opens up the ability to pressure the QB. There's only a few I see in this draft and they'll be long gone before the 3rd round so...

A good backup QB - Sudfeld is what, an unknown? For a playoff-expectant team, a must have. It could be Bridgewater if we can entice him... otherwise, in this draft...?

A solid RB corps. This is a direct knock against Swift's health. There's no guarantee he'll be healthy for the playoffs (the critical reason for needing a rock solid RB corps) so, minus Swift: Montgomery (decent to plus). Craig Reynolds (a bench guy to be used on 3rd downs occasionally, or more... but I don't want to pin my playoff hopes on him...): Which means to me a top-3 rounder (does NOT have to be Bijan, but it could be...) RB needs to be selected. Charbonnet in the 3rd is thre guy I'm eyeing. Let's see what Holmes comes up with.

LB'er is a lower need only because that's how this management team values them: as a lower position of need... And based on all the other moves Holmes has made... I think CB, IOL, LB'er, Safety, TE, etc., are all lower need/ backup-type draft positions this year, IMHO.

Well...

This aged really well...

I guess I would revise based on tiers:

If we don't sign Bridgewater then I would put backup QB and 3-tech DT on the top tier of Playoff 2023 needs.

With the trade of Okudah, I would put RB (Swift) and CB (can never have too much CB's...) on the 2nd tier.

IOL may be up there with Vatai's recent health but for now I'm going to keep it on the 3rd tier. I'm keeping it in a tier all by itself due to the uncertainty of whether we are good here or it's just as critical as a deep RB/ CB room. Feel free to disagree... But as I've said previously... it doesn't matter where on the pecking order this falls... I'm absolutely certain they'll use one of their 2nd rounders on a great candidate to fill the OL room as well. And be a future (or maybe even 2023?) replacement for Vatai at the very least. 

Next I think falls depth/ develop guys that can add to their respective rooms and maybe surprise on the upside, if not this year then next year: WR, LB'er, TE, Safety.

Last: just to add some competition (draft pick or otherwise): Kicker.

2 minutes ago, AlaskanTigersFan said:

What is a 3-tech DT? I see that al ot but dunno what it actually is..... What is 3-Tech mean?

It's basically where you align one of your DT. It usually refers to aligning the DT to the outside of the guard. The 3 technique DT is typically your better pass rushing DT. They usually play more in 4-3 defenses. Guys like Suh and Donald were good 3 technique DTs. 

46 minutes ago, AlaskanTigersFan said:

What is a 3-tech DT? I see that al ot but dunno what it actually is..... What is 3-Tech mean?

Adding to what MB said...

as opposed to a Nose Tackle who typically lines over the Center and invariably ends up taking on two blockers almost every play.

3-techs are usually smaller than NT's... (Suh was still 6' 4" 315 #'s), are pass-rushing type DT's... and in a 4-3, they'll line up either between the C&G or the G&T... hoping to split them or go up a seam to get to the QB. They're also good for stunting with DE's or swapping with DE's because they're more athletic than the average DT so that also opens up additional pass-rushing options...

McNeill is not a pass-rushing DT. He's more of a NT-type or run-stopping DT. Siaki Ika and Mazi Smith are these types of DT's this year. Run-stoppers.

The smaller Aaron Donald-type (not saying they'll turn into AD...) 3-tech DT's this year are Calijah Kancey at 6' 1" 280 #'s, 31" arms (VERY short...), a 9.60 RAS score (very athletic!) and a 4.67 40... and Abetomiwa Abebewore (I think he ends up as a 3-tech after adding 10 pounds of muscle...) at 6' 2" 295 #'s, 34" arms (better... for leverage), a 9.87 RAS score (even MORE athletic!) and a 4.54 40 (!!! WOW !!!). I love this guy as a prospect. Hope he's not just a workout warrior but.. up to Holmes to decide if he's interested in him or not...

One last thing... a few DE's are big/ athletic/ powerful enough to be a starter at DE as well as play 3-tech DT on passing downs by swinging inside for those plays... Scouts for this year's draftees state that Myles Murphy and Tyree Wilson are the two prospects that can do that. Start at DE and swing inside on passing downs. The scouting reports for both say they can "play all along the line".

Edited by 1984Echoes

PS: I forgot, also...

NT is called a 1-tech, directly over the Center.

3-tech means over either shoulder of the Guard

5-tech means outside shoulder of the OT

2-tech means directly in front of the OG

4-tech means directly over the OT.

There's also a "split-wide" DE which means they are far enough away from the OT that he doesn't count as being aligned with the OT, not even on the outside shoulder.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Great, so you hope that in the end, you get 3-4 years of a cheaper Jared Goff. At this point, I'll keep the proven commodity in Goff. I've wasted enough time in my life trying to run one QB out of town for the shiny, new object at QB. No need to do it twice. Goff's proven he can play at a high enough level to win playoff games and make a Super Bowl. No need to move on now.

Stroud comp-ing to Goff is overly simplistic, but the style of “pro style” pocket passer (like Ryan, Brady, Goff, and Stroud) is going the way of the dodo bird in favor of athlete-first passers. I think Stroud’s abilities were under-utilized by an Ohio State team that played 11 cupcakes in a 13-game schedule, and I think he is more mobile than he is given credit for. He’s not going to be a Lamar Jackson or Justin Fields, but I think he has an ability to keep plays alive with his feet.

If the Lions moved to #3 and he slipped, I would strongly consider him.