2023 NFL Draft Thread

Mr.TaterSalad

1 hour ago, KL2 said:

What you mean not every team wants to move up to take a qb third on their board?

People here wouldn't have you believe that.

how do you know the guy at 3 will be the #3 qb on everyone's board?  or that teams wouldnt move up to get that?

the niners moved up to take the third qb off the board just a few years ago.  the bears moved up to take the 4th qb off the board the same year.  im not advocating that the lions do that, but it does happen.

43 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

I'm not trading up until I know what the Texans are doing at #2. There isn't a rock solid guarantee that they'll take a QB. They may wait until next year and enter into the Caleb Williams sweepstakes. I'm only trading up to #3 with Arizona if it is to get Will Anderson and the price is reasonable. I'm not giving up #6 and #18, which is what I think it will take to move up if past trades are any indicator. If the Texans pass on a QB and take Anderson then trading up to #3 and giving up whatever amount of draft capital will have been a waste.

why do you think it would take 6 and 18 to get to 3?  

1 minute ago, Hongbit said:

Anyone that truly believes in this team should have no problem throwing in next years #1 to help move up this year.   

i get your point, but i do not do that unless they go to #1.  

no way i throw in next year's one to move up three spots.  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, buddha said:

why do you think it would take 6 and 18 to get to 3?  

This is a draft where there are several coveted QBs that teams will want to move up for and will thus, potentially create a bidding war with Arizona for the 3rd pick. If recent history is any indicator then I think it will take multiple 1sts to move up to 3 as that's what it has previously taken other teams. 

In 2016 the Browns traded the 2nd overall pick (turned into Carson Wentz) and a conditional 5th round pick to the Eagles for the 8th overall pick, as well as 3rd and 4th round picks in 2016 a first-round pick in 2017, and a second-round pick in 2018.

So to move up from 8 to 2 the Eagles had to give up their current first, a future first, a third, a fourth, and a future second. I can't see the Cardinals wanting to settle for a whole lot less than what the Browns got in the Carson Wentz trade.

Edited by Mr.TaterSalad

3 hours ago, KL2 said:

They don't need a 26 year old project 

Yes..he's 26...and far more mature than a "project".    He has all the physical elements you look for and has had success against a high level of competition.  He could easily play into his 30's...is his age really THAT relevant? 

13 minutes ago, Shinzaki said:

Yes..he's 26...and far more mature than a "project".    He has all the physical elements you look for and has had success against a high level of competition.  He could easily play into his 30's...is his age really THAT relevant? 

Yes, he's very much a project. He comes from a college system that is not nfl friendly and didn't prepare him, he has a plethora of mechanical and process issues to work through, and the injury will limit his ability to work on them. His age impacts his development curve, and his athleticism, his prime feature, will wane sooner.

Pride of Detroit: 2023 NFL Draft rumor: Detroit Lions ‘really like’ Texas Tech EDGE Tyree Wilson

From the article, via Matt Miller at ESPN.

But according to ESPN’s Matt Miller, the Lions may be zeroing in on a defender with the sixth overall pick. Per Miller, the Lions are infatuated with Texas Tech edge defender Tyree Wilson.

“I’ve heard they really like Tyree Wilson (Texas Tech) and have a high grade on him,” Miller wrote this week. “The Lions have spent considerable time and resources meeting with and working out pass-rushers this offseason, and they will be seeking more help on defense right out of the gate in Round 1.”

16 hours ago, Longgone said:

Yes, he's very much a project. He comes from a college system that is not nfl friendly and didn't prepare him, he has a plethora of mechanical and process issues to work through, and the injury will limit his ability to work on them. His age impacts his development curve, and his athleticism, his prime feature, will wane sooner.

I think his prime feature is his arm.  I don't see his age as being as large an issue...I think you have an opportunity to get a guy who's got top of the draft potential with a mid to late 1st round pick.  I would be OK with that...unless we go DL at 6 and there's a high end CB still on the board

I'm just meh on Wilson, I can see the physical gifts which makes you dream of the type of ceiling he can have but how often do those guys really end up hitting the ceiling that you dream of that didn't produce great numbers(relatively speaking) in college?

Genuine question, perhaps it happens more often than Im thinking of but it feels like the guys you draft based off their physical traits instead of production generally don't work out like you hoped. 

20 hours ago, Shinzaki said:

Yes. When is age of professional athletes not relevant?

1 hour ago, KL2 said:

Yes. When is age of professional athletes not relevant?

I think age is always relevant... it's how relevant? A receiver, a running back, a DE... age probably plays more of a factor there vs. a QB where they're not going to be running around quite as much... I mean unless they're a running QB.

There's a mock out on The Athletic where it has us trading down to 11 with Tennessee for a 3rd this year and next year. I don't know if that would be fair according to the draft charts but assuming we won't draft Carter I think I'd do that even if on paper the return seems a little light. I feel we're going to get the same caliber of player at 11 as we would as 6 so might as well pick up 2 extra 3rds as well. 

I'm starting to come around on Carter. He's really what they need and would be an immediate starter and upgrade provided his work ethic is there. Shaun Rogers had similar work ethic concerns and at least for a while turned out all right. The Lions have nine picks and two first rounders so I'm inclined to just take the risk on Carter. 

Sometimes, once you see something or think about someone in a particular light you can't unsee it or not think about it. I have Nick Fairley flashbacks with Jalen Carter on that we have a guy with all the talent in the world who just isn't fully committed to being all he can be and leaving it all on the field. Showing up looking and actually being out of shape during the most important time period for a potential NFL rookie, much less a potential top 5 pick, is not good. Holmes and Campbell seem to want to only bring in people who live and die for the game of football, and Carter doesn't strike me as that, at least at this point.

Maybe their interview with Carter changed things and he aced it, but I still those believe those reports about him being off certain teams draft boards is true. I think that we are one of those teams, but who knows.