2023 NFL Draft Thread

Mr.TaterSalad

There's definitely concerns with Carter but I think there are concerns with all the guys were likely to pick there its just that Carter's are off the field/work ethic vs. On the field with other guys. 

I feel or atleast hope with Carter at the very least we will get stretches of dominant play that transforms the defense. You are likely going to get stretches where he disappears but I think the dominant ones can more than offset that.

Also I feel he is the guy outside of Anderson and maybe Bijan that can step in right away and make the biggest impact which given where we are positioned in the division and conference may be what I care about most. 

Edited by RandyMarsh

If I thought Carter was the next Suh or Donald, I might be able to look past the character issues. I think his talent and ceiling is being overstated in a draft class that is largely missing that high end talent.

I would be shocked if the Lions took him. I’m hoping the Seahawks take him at 5, because I don’t think he’s being considered at 6.

13 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

There's a mock out on The Athletic where it has us trading down to 11 with Tennessee for a 3rd this year and next year. I don't know if that would be fair according to the draft charts but assuming we won't draft Carter I think I'd do that even if on paper the return seems a little light. I feel we're going to get the same caliber of player at 11 as we would as 6 so might as well pick up 2 extra 3rds as well. 

that return is okay, but only if Carter is not there. my issue is that the writer for this mock basically forces Carter to where he wants the story to go (Carter in Philly!). doubtful that all of Det, LV, Atl, Chi would ALL pass on Carter, though some might.

Pride of Detroit: Report: Detroit Lions pursued free agent TE Foster Moreau, expected to add TE in draft

Birkett surmises that the Lions are now “expected to add to the (tight end) position” in the 2023 NFL Draft. Though the Lions have three tight ends who contributed significantly last year—Brock Wright, James Mitchell, and Shane Zylstra—there is plenty of space for improvement in that room.

GULP! Please not a first round Tight End. Please not Michael Mayer or Darnell Washington.

1 hour ago, buddha said:

the lions could use an upgrade at tight end.  nothing wrong with that with this deep tight end class.

I'm perfectly fine with them drafting a TE at some point too. Darnell Washington, Sam Laporta, Dalton Kincaid are all reasonably intriguing 2nd round prospects. I just don't want to keep repeating Lions history with a 1st round TE.

I would be stunned if they reached and took at TE at #6, that ain't happening. However, I could see there being some world where they end up drafting one of Michael Mayer or Darnell Washington at #18 or in some trade back scenario, which I do not want. If they used one of their two 2nds on a TE I would even been cool with that depending on the player. If they traded TJ Hockenson just to go and burn/waste a 1st round pick on another TE I'll be disappointed, probably pissed. I'm going to give Brad Holmes the benefit of the doubt on most any move he could make. But another Lions 1st round TE is one of those moves that no matter how hard I try to give Brad the benefit, I'm probably going to end up dumping on in the end. I think most fans would as well.

34 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

I'm perfectly fine with them drafting a TE at some point too. Darnell Washington, Sam Laporta, Dalton Kincaid are all reasonably intriguing 2nd round prospects. I just don't want to keep repeating Lions history with a 1st round TE.

I would be stunned if they reached and took at TE at #6, that ain't happening. However, I could see there being some world where they end up drafting one of Michael Mayer or Darnell Washington at #18 or in some trade back scenario, which I do not want. If they used one of their two 2nds on a TE I would even been cool with that depending on the player. If they traded TJ Hockenson just to go and burn/waste a 1st round pick on another TE I'll be disappointed, probably pissed. I'm going to give Brad Holmes the benefit of the doubt on most any move he could make. But another Lions 1st round TE is one of those moves that no matter how hard I try to give Brad the benefit, I'm probably going to end up dumping on in the end. I think most fans would as well.

I've come to feel like Holmes & DC view TEs on the offensive side the way they view LBs on the defensive side.  I know DC was a TE, but in this offense they are not utilized to the point of needing to spend that kind of draft capital to get one.

dane brugler on richardson:

A one-year starter at Florida, Richardson became the full-time starter as a redshirt sophomore in head coach Billy Napier’s play-action, outside-zone 
offense. His 2022 season was full of highs and lows (his 53.8 completion percentage accurately reflects his up-and-down play), although his supporting cast was 
equally inconsistent from game-to-game. An athletic, large-statured passer, Richardson has the arm to drill every throw imaginable with plus velocity, while also using 
his legs to be an explosive playmaker (had four 100-yard rushing games compared to only three 250-yard passing games). However, he has scattershot tendencies 
and is more of a see-it thrower, lacking anticipation and relying on his arm over repeatable footwork/mechanics (only 393 career pass attempts). Overall, 
Richardson’s volatile accuracy and decision-making cloud his evaluation, but he is a freakshow talent with special size, speed and arm strength, and he put enough 
promising plays on film to be optimistic about his potential ceiling. He fits an RPO or NFL vertical-passing offense that will also utilize his athleticism, but he needs 
on-field reps and a patient coaching staff willing to weather the early storm.
GRADE: 1st Round (No. 13 overall)

Hooker:

A two-year starter at Tennessee, Hooker thrived in head coach Josh Heupel’s offense, which is an offspring of Art Briles’ system (spacing and fast tempo 
to put defenses in conflict). After an inconsistent tenure at Virginia Tech, he reinvented himself in Knoxville (was the Heisman Trophy favorite at the time of his ACL 
injury late in the 2022 season) and finished his college career with 105 total touchdowns and 11,057 yards of total offense. Hooker gets the ball out on time with a 
smooth delivery and does a great job moving the pocket (play-action, rollouts, boots) to change his launch point. With basic half-field and high-to-low reads, his 
college production and efficiency were aided by the Vols’ quarterback-friendly offense, so there is a learning curve awaiting him in the NFL. Overall, Hooker must 
refine his internal clock and progression reads, but his instinctive athleticism, football character and poised decision-making amid chaos are appealing traits. He 
projects as a developmental passer with down-the-road starting potential, as long as his knee is healthy.
GRADE: 2nd Round (No. 49 overall)

5 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Give me Schoonmaker and let him stay home. I'll be happy with that.

5 hours ago, djhutch said:

I've come to feel like Holmes & DC view TEs on the offensive side the way they view LBs on the defensive side.  I know DC was a TE, but in this offense they are not utilized to the point of needing to spend that kind of draft capital to get one.

Both Mayer and Washington would be perfect for this offense though, extensions of the offensive line and still be a reliable option on passing downs.  Mayer offers a little more vertical threat, so if we had a late first round pick and he was there, I'd be fine with that.  If we could get Washington in the 2nd, perfectly happy with that too.  

On 3/7/2023 at 10:22 AM, 1984Echoes said:

I could live with this mock draft:

https://lionswire.usatoday.com/lists/lions-post-combine-mock-draft-detroit-projections/

#6 Chris Gonzalez, CB

#18 Keion White, DT

2nd Trenton Simpson, LB

2nd Hooker, QB

3rd Charbonnet, RB.

Risdon is pretty good. He thinks the Lions are out on Ringo because he is not a good fit for the defense.

22 hours ago, ewsieg said:

Both Mayer and Washington would be perfect for this offense though, extensions of the offensive line and still be a reliable option on passing downs.  Mayer offers a little more vertical threat, so if we had a late first round pick and he was there, I'd be fine with that.  If we could get Washington in the 2nd, perfectly happy with that too.  

Mayer seems like a Hockenson clone and I don't see the point of having traded Hock just to go and draft Mayer with a 1st. If they want another high-level vertical and red zone threat they should draft Quentin Johnston in the 1st before a drafting a TE imo.

18 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Mayer seems like a Hockenson clone and I don't see the point of having traded Hock just to go and draft Mayer with a 1st. If they want another high-level vertical and red zone threat they should draft Quentin Johnston in the 1st before a drafting a TE imo.

Hockenson sucked as a run blocker, if he was even decent there he probably would still be with the team.

I haven’t made a Charlie Campbell post in at least a week or so, soooo…

The reason I like his mocks and analysis is because while it flies under many radars, but is notoriously accurate at the end of the day. Last draft, his last mock went something like 9/9 to start, which is pretty rare, as much as these are made.

He put out his updated mock today. It goes Young/Stroud/Wilson/Richardson/Carter to start, with the Lions landing Anderson. In his full six-round mock, the Lions end up with Will Anderson (EDGE, Alabama), Bijan Robinson (RB, Texas), Sam LaPorta (TE, Iowa), Jack Campbell (LB, Iowa), Cam Mitchell (DB, Northwestern), Riley Moss (CB, Iowa), Dorian Thompson-Robinson (QB, UCLA), Chandler Zavala (OG, NC State), and Jordan McFadden (OG, Clemson).

For me, the only way that could get any better would be if we landed Washington instead of LaPorta, but otherwise that’d be a damn near perfect outcome.

• Like 1

On 4/14/2023 at 4:25 PM, Motown Bombers said:

Richardson isn't good enough to take at 6 but they will take him at 18 and that's suppose to be the future of your franchise and enough to move on from a good QB you don't want to pay? 

I get the feeling that if RIchardson was there in the 6th round and the Lions took him you'd be upset because if he wasn't good enough at 6, 18, 48, 55, 81, 152, and 159, why are we taking him at 183 to be the future of your franchise?

16 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I haven’t made a Charlie Campbell post in at least a week or so, soooo…

The reason I like his mocks and analysis is because while it flies under many radars, but is notoriously accurate at the end of the day. Last draft, his last mock went something like 9/9 to start, which is pretty rare, as much as these are made.

He put out his updated mock today. It goes Young/Stroud/Wilson/Richardson/Carter to start, with the Lions landing Anderson. In his full six-round mock, the Lions end up with Will Anderson (EDGE, Alabama), Bijan Robinson (RB, Texas), Sam LaPorta (TE, Iowa), Jack Campbell (LB, Iowa), Cam Mitchell (DB, Northwestern), Riley Moss (CB, Iowa), Dorian Thompson-Robinson (QB, UCLA), Chandler Zavala (OG, NC State), and Jordan McFadden (OG, Clemson).

For me, the only way that could get any better would be if we landed Washington instead of LaPorta, but otherwise that’d be a damn near perfect outcome.

Sub a DB or somebody like Cedric Tillman for Laporta and this would damn near be a legit perfect draft for me. 

Edited by RandyMarsh