2023 NFL Draft Thread

Mr.TaterSalad

16 minutes ago, RedRamage said:

I get the feeling that if RIchardson was there in the 6th round and the Lions took him you'd be upset because if he wasn't good enough at 6, 18, 48, 55, 81, 152, and 159, why are we taking him at 183 to be the future of your franchise?

I would be upset because it would be a wasted pick like Jake Rudock, Nate Sudfeld and Brad Kaaya. Holmes have drafted the likes of Malcolm Rodriguez and James Houston in the 6th round, no need to waste it on a QB. 

If Anderson is there at 6 the Lions should look at trading out. They have Houston and a stand up edge isn't a part of their base defense anyways. If they think he will be generational type player then you take him and adjust the scheme a bit. 

TE is definitely a need. With such a deep crop they can get a good one in the second if they haven't traded one of those picks away. 

It's typical prospect fatigue with Anderson. For 3 years he was viewed as this generational pass rusher with people saying he wouldve been the first one off the board each of the previous 2 seasons, now suddenly those folks start back tracking on their opinion of him despite him doing nothing to warrant it.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

It's typical prospect fatigue with Anderson. For 3 years he was viewed as this generational pass rusher with people saying he wouldve been the first one off the board each of the previous 2 seasons, now suddenly those folks start back tracking on their opinion of him despite him doing nothing to warrant it.

This. I think it would be overthinking things to take Wilson over Anderson. Stare at numbers long enough and they'll tell you anything you want. Anderson's tape speaks for itself. I also think it would be very silly for any team to take Carter over Anderson, considering most considered Anderson a better prospect even before Carter's numerous issues arose.

35 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

Brugler full mock: Gonzalez, Kancey, Washington, Campbell, Zavala (OG), Wilson (WR), Incoom (ED) (CMU), Clark (DT (Costal Carolina), Ojuku (OT (Boise)

Kancey over Breese makes little sense to me.

breese has been injured and not that productive when healthy.

4 hours ago, MichiganCardinal said:

This. I think it would be overthinking things to take Wilson over Anderson. Stare at numbers long enough and they'll tell you anything you want. Anderson's tape speaks for itself. I also think it would be very silly for any team to take Carter over Anderson, considering most considered Anderson a better prospect even before Carter's numerous issues arose.

Add a data point. Just heard TJ Lang on the radio. He said he had made some calls to contracts around the league and came away with the impression the non-football concerns about Carter are significant - I think he put it at 6 on a 10 scale.

Wilson vs Anderson could depend a little on where you think the game is going next. One one hand, it  seems like more teams want to run the ball a little more than in recent years, certainly the Lions are part of that trend, so the value of big bodies like Wilson (or Carter) on the inside might increasing. OTOH, if your scouting around the rest of league says that's not so much what you see in the immediate future, then take the guy who gives you the pass rush, and outside presense. 

Edited by gehringer_2

4 hours ago, buddha said:

breese has been injured and not that productive when healthy.

Kancey's tape is pretty good.  I know he's undersized, but as a pass rusher on the inside he gets after it.  We can always just use him on passing downs - though I suppose you want a little more playing time out of a first rounder.

They were talking about various mocks online on the Stoney and Jansen this morning and I guess one from a Houston writer has the Texans taking Tyrese Wilson at 2.

They said the write up said something of the effect of "I know this is going to make Texans fans upset but I'm hearing more and more that the Texans are going to wait on their qb and take another position with Wilson being the most likely player."

I would say it could just be a smokescreen but I don't really see any benefit to them doing that considering they are picking 2 and the team picking 1st is 99% picking qb.

Edited by RandyMarsh

17 hours ago, djhutch said:

Kancey's tape is pretty good.  I know he's undersized, but as a pass rusher on the inside he gets after it.  We can always just use him on passing downs - though I suppose you want a little more playing time out of a first rounder.

He does seem to be more of a gadget player; he can't play on the edge, and he can't do a lot of the things you expect from a dt as far as stacking and maintaining gaps.

That pick at 18 is a difficult one. Kancey doesn't seem like a 3 down guy like others have said. If they go DL at 6 it would be nice if one of the top 4 corners drop to 18, but they may not. The best available in my mocks usually are OT's.

That will be interesting.

1 minute ago, Stanley70 said:

That pick at 18 is a difficult one. Kancey doesn't seem like a 3 down guy like others have said. If they go DL at 6 it would be nice if one of the top 4 corners drop to 18, but they may not. The best available in my mocks usually are OT's.

That will be interesting.

Yeah I don't know what to make of Kancey, the production and athletic testing checks out but his size is a bit worrisome. I wouldn't hate the pick at 18 but I dont think Id go there if I already went Wilson at 6. Id rather go Bijan, CB or Quentin Johnston at 18 than him.

Kancey is still a guy I am very much interested in because we could really use an interior pass rusher to free up Hutch, Houston, Harris, and R. Okwara along the edge. If we end up drafting Tyree Wilson though he will give us versatility and we can slide him along the line, including inside. Picking Wilson makes me less likely to want to get Kancey at #18 and more likely to want to get a run stuffing DT to fill the gaps in the middle like Siaki Ika or Mazi Smith in the 2nd round. I left Jalen Carter completely off my draft board because I still believe he is off Brad Holmes' board too. Unless he knocked it out of the park with his visit yesterday, I don't think they're taking him or even considering Carter at this point.

This is probably top 7 for each of #6, #18, #48 and #55. I'd say who I want at #6 or #18 hasn't changed a whole lot in the last month. Assuming no trades, this is my draft board/wish list.

Pick #6

1. Will Anderson

2. Tyree Wilson

3. Christian Gonzalez

4. Devon Witherspoon

5. Quentin Johnston

Pick #18

1. Christian Gonzalez (I expect him to be gone)

2. Devon Witherspoon (I expect him to be gone)

3. Quentin Johnston (I think there is an outside chance he is still there)

4. Joey Porter Jr.

5. Calijah Kancey (Only if we don't take one of Anderson or Wilson)

6. Bijan Robinson

7. Bryan Bresee

8. Nolan Smith (Only if we don't take one of Anderson or Wilson)

Pick #48 2nd Round

1. Jahmyr Gibbs (Only if we don't take Bijan)

2. Jack Campbell

3. Mazi Smith

4. Siaki Ika

5. Trenton Simpson

6. Drew Sanders

7. Steve Avila

Pick #55 2nd Round

1. Jack Campbell

2. Mazi Smith

3. Siaki Ika

4. Trenton Simpson

5. Drew Sanders