2023 NFL Draft Thread

Mr.TaterSalad

16 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

I have Witherspoon above Gonzalez and Wilson but otherwise by lineup is pretty much the same as yours. 

I'm a bit higher on Gonzalez due to his measurables and him being a taller, lengthier CB. But I'd be just fine with either guy being drafted. I'm also not one of those "YOU CAN'T DRAFT A CB THIS EARLY" folks because it has been such a position of need for the Lions and we're in a passing league. I would be upset if they passed on Will Anderson for a Corner and mildly disappointed if they drafted one over Wilson. But other than Sutton, we don't have a Corner signed long term on this team and still have a need there, s either Gonzalez or Witherspoon would be fine by me.

13 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

This hasn't gotten much discussion and I get why, because it's seemingly unlikely to happen. But would you be upset or disappointed in the Lions took Quentin Johnston at #6 or traded back and took him at some pick prior to the pick at #18?

Yes, he's not that caliber of talent, and likely others available will outgrade him.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

This hasn't gotten much discussion and I get why, because it's seemingly unlikely to happen. But would you be upset or disappointed in the Lions took Quentin Johnston at #6 or traded back and took him at some pick prior to the pick at #18?

yes.

I don’t want Johnston. I’d be mildly disappointed with Gonzalez at 6 and disappointed with Witherspoon there. But sign me to for Witherspoon or Porter at 18. 

At 6 it has to be DL. Carter or Wilson. But if they do something crazy like take Bijan there I’ll be intrigued. 

I'd actually be surprised if Wilson even makes it to 6 at this point. He's the Travon Walker of this class, with production. Teams love these guys with elite physical traits, just a big batch of clay of potential to mold with Wilson.

Even if the rumored destinations of Houston and Arizona pass on him, I'd be surprised if Seattle passed on him as he's the exact type of player that Carroll falls for.

this guy is down on MM

Myles Murphy should be drafted in Round 2
Traits and measurables matter. I get it. They're often more important than production, particularly in the first round. And Murphy is nearly 6-feet-5 and 268 pounds with arms a shade under 34 inches. He tested well at his pro day. Freaky, amazingly good? Not exactly.

Even if I could be convinced Murphy is a first-round caliber athlete with first-round size, his productivity in college drastically falls short of conventional Round 1 standards. After the light appeared to turn on late in 2021, it never seemed to be re-lit. In 2022, Murphy was actually less efficient as a pass-rusher generating pressure than he was the previous season (9.5% vs. 12.6%). 
He's athletic for his size, but not a ridiculous specimen flying/bending around the corner and will have to learn to master his hand work at the next level, always a scary proposition for pass-rushing prospects. He belongs in the second round, where the expectations are lower and he's more likely to assume a lower volume role early in his pro career. 

I think Cincinnati and their 3-headed monster at WR makes the case for drafting Johnston. Just as they have Chase and Higgins on the outside at the X and Z spots and Boyd in the slot, we would have Johnston and Williams on the outside at X and Z and St. Brown on the inside. If you're an opposing team you can't double up on anyone with all three guys on the field. Its the same case as was made for trading for Higgins in earlier in the offseason.

If we don't draft Johnston I hope we atleast address that position at some point in the draft whether it be Tillman, AT Perry or somebody else,  I just want that big bodied receiver we can line up on the outside cause in this day and age you can never have enough weapons in the NFL.

2 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

I don’t think there’s a draft board in the league that has Johnston any where near the top 6 picks.    He’s not worth it. 

8 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

I don’t think there’s a draft board in the league that has Johnston any where near the top 6 picks.    He’s not worth it. 

I know these aren't NFL draft boards and actual teams boards will look a heck of a lot different than internet boards. I also get that #6 is probably too high and would require a trade back.

But . . .

He's the #10 rated player of PFFs big board, the #9 rated player on Draft Buzz, #11 on The Draft Network's big board, #10 on Charlie Campbell's big board.

4 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

... I left Jalen Carter completely off my draft board because I still believe he is off Brad Holmes' board too. Unless he knocked it out of the park with his visit yesterday, I don't think they're taking him or even considering Carter at this point.

Given everything Holmes & DC have said about looking for good locker room guys, I would tend to agree - however, I also don't think they're all that conventional.  They may believe they have a good enough locker room right now that they can take a swing at the one player at a position of need that could make all the difference.  I don't believe they're afraid of the narrative.

1 hour ago, Motown Bombers said:

I just reealized if the Raiders didn't blow that game against the Rams the Lions would have the 3rd overall pick. 

one of the most embarrassing regular season losses in NFL history; Mayfield got 2 hours of practice with the Rams, and then led a pair of 4th quarter TD drives including one starting from the 2-yard line with 1:35 to go.

4 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

I forgot about the Marvin Jones signing so he kinda fits that bill even though at his age he obviously isn't as explosive as somebody we get in the draft but atleast he provides a bit of insurance there and gives us the option to wait till next year to get that guy. 

marvin jones is nothing but depth at this point in his career.

4 minutes ago, buddha said:

marvin jones is nothing but depth at this point in his career.

I guess I was under the impression he was basically taking Chark's role and Chark got a lot of run when he wasn't injured. If he is just a depth piece then I feel we definitely need to add somebody in the draft unless we are planning on trading for somebody like Hopkins or something. 

21 minutes ago, buddha said:

having 33 year old marvin jones as your starter is a problem if you consider yourself a contender.

There’s no problem with a WR Room of Amon Ra, Jamo, Kalif Raymond, Marv, Josh Reynolds, and the ever dangerous Tom Kennedy.