2023 NFL Draft Thread

Mr.TaterSalad

Cedric Tillman is starting to be a guy I'm really targeting, I think he would be a great fit for the offense. He's not a perfect prospect which is why he may very well be had in the 2nd or even 3rd but I think he's near perfect for what we need to compliment Jamo and St. Brown.

Tillman is a beast in traffic and really can go up and snatch those 50/50 balls and give Goff a more physical outside to throw to.  If he can be had with one of our 2nd round picks I think I'd jump at that chance.

11 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

If the Texans seriously pass on Stroud at #2, I don’t see a way that doesn’t become a Trubisky esque punchline for years to come.

If by some freak chance he’s there at #6, I think you have to seriously consider taking him.

I think it will look brilliant if they get Caleb, Maye, Penix, or any of the 3-4 other QB’s next year that are better than Stroud. 

30 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

I think it will look brilliant if they get Caleb, Maye, Penix, or any of the 3-4 other QB’s next year that are better than Stroud. 

If they get Williams yes. I think Stroud is better than Maye or Penix.

They're the Texans though. If they pass on Stroud they'll probably take Levis at 12 and think they big-brained it, until they finish 4-13, draft 5th, and miss out on both Williams and Maye.

I agree that if Anderson isn't there at 6 or Carter is off their board then I would be fine with them trading down in this draft for a 1rst next year.  With two mid round picks you can easily get two starters. This draft isn't as top heavy as I believe next year will be.

I think Williams and Maye will both be better come draft time than Stroud along with the possibility of a few others like hongbit mentioned.

With that said I do like Stroud  the most out of the past couple drafts but I just think some of the guys next year are those once in 5 year type qb prospects with Caleb being the once in a decade type.(yeah Lawrence was the same just 2 years ago but speaking in generalities)

Edited by RandyMarsh

19 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

One thing I've learned is next year's draft always has the better QB prospects. 

Yeah I was gonna add that caveat to my post but I do think this is one of those years where it will hold true cause people have been pin pointing the 24 class for a couple years now. 

15 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

I guess I was under the impression he was basically taking Chark's role and Chark got a lot of run when he wasn't injured. If he is just a depth piece then I feel we definitely need to add somebody in the draft unless we are planning on trading for somebody like Hopkins or something. 

Different type of player but Jamo is taking the Chark reps. I'm sure Jones will get his fair share of snaps but I think Jamo is the guy they expect to be the #2 receiver.

I don't even consider Jamo a part of last years receiver group so it's essentially St. Brown, Chark, Reynolds, Raymond, Kennedy? last year vs. St. Brown, Jamo, Jones, Reynolds, Raymond this year. Depth is actually better but a longer term solution is probably needed, an X receiver that can go up and get the ball ideally.

1 hour ago, Motown Bombers said:

One thing I've learned is next year's draft always has the better QB prospects. 

That's actually true this year although last years' class was arguably the worst ever for QBs going into the draft so not much of a bar set there.

15 minutes ago, NYLion said:

That's actually true this year although last years' class was arguably the worst ever for QBs going into the draft so not much of a bar set there.

I don't follow college football, but wasn't Sam Howell hyped this time in 2021? Wasn't he suppose to be the guy in 2022? Wasn't there a QB on Oklahoma who was suppose to be the top QB this year that ended up getting benched? It happens every year. 

4 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

I don't follow college football, but wasn't Sam Howell hyped this time in 2021? Wasn't he suppose to be the guy in 2022? Wasn't there a QB on Oklahoma who was suppose to be the top QB this year that ended up getting benched? It happens every year. 

Yeah but those guys were never as hyped as Caleb or Maye. Plus you also always get breakout guys like Richardson and Hooker this year,  zach Wilson, Trey Lance and Mac Jones in 21 that weren't on many people's radars but ended up being top picks that offset the guys that flameout.

So the fact that there already 5-6 qbs with 1st round grades including Caleb and Maye who have higher grades than any non Lawrence prospect in 10 years tells me that in all likelihood next year's class will be better. 

Edited by RandyMarsh

Also for the record I'm talking about how the qbs are viewed at the time of the draft and how teams value them then. The guys in this class may very well turn out better in the pros than guys next year but I think come draft time next year the qbs will be viewed more favorably and be in more demand than the guys this year. 

Edited by RandyMarsh

20 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Yes he was and I never understood it. Rattler was actually the most hyped and, conversely, Pickett wasn't even on the radar.

Generally, I agree with what you're saying in that the next class is always better than the current one. This even goes back to the 2009 draft when I remember a good portion of Lions fans screaming for them to pick Curry over Stafford because Bradford will be better than Stafford so they can wait to draft him. 

My latest Lion mock...

6) Witherspoon  CB

18) Darnell Wright OT

50) Darnell Washington (Trade with Tampa) 48, 159 for 50 and Tampa's 2024 third round

55) Jack Campbell LB

81) Trey Palmer WR

152 Jarrett Patterson OC

183) Tommy DeVito QB.  (Best of a suspect lot, he'll end up on the practice squad. I see it as a safe insurance pick)

194) Nick Broeker OG

Do people here have significant criticisms of Stroud’s game/tape? I get the argument for not taking him that “Goff is here and Goff is great”. If that’s your stance I don’t have an argument.

But if the top five goes Young/Wilson/Anderson/Richardson/Carter (which wouldn’t be the craziest thing if reports are to be believed), I think there is a strong case to be made for taking Stroud.

I see a really good prospect in Stroud. I think a lot of his tape makes him appear limited, but that it’s a product of playing at Ohio State, where they can coast through 11 games by just not making mistakes. I feel like he was coached to stand tall in the pocket, make his passes, and to fold under pressure rather than making the play with his legs, because the offense could easily withstand a few minus plays, and would only lose if they got into significant turnover trouble… when the leash was taken off against Georgia, we saw a whole new prospect. Certainly one game doesn’t make the prospect, but it says something that he went up against the National Champions and would have won if a kick was made.

It’s not every day that arguably the top QB prospect of a draft falls into your lap. I see a guy with the ceiling of Aaron Rodgers (minus the psychedelics) and a floor of Goff. I’m curious if others don’t see the same prospect I see though.

5 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

Do people here have significant criticisms of Stroud’s game/tape? I get the argument for not taking him that “Goff is here and Goff is great”. If that’s your stance I don’t have an argument.

But if the top five goes Young/Wilson/Anderson/Richardson/Carter (which wouldn’t be the craziest thing if reports are to be believed), I think there is a strong case to be made for taking Stroud.

I see a really good prospect in Stroud. I think a lot of his tape makes him appear limited, but that it’s a product of playing at Ohio State, where they can coast through 11 games by just not making mistakes. I feel like he was coached to stand tall in the pocket, make his passes, and to fold under pressure rather than making the play with his legs, because the offense could easily withstand a few minus plays, and would only lose if they got into significant turnover trouble… when the leash was taken off against Georgia, we saw a whole new prospect. Certainly one game doesn’t make the prospect, but it says something that he went up against the National Champions and would have won if a kick was made.

It’s not every day that arguably the top QB prospect of a draft falls into your lap. I see a guy with the ceiling of Aaron Rodgers (minus the psychedelics) and a floor of Goff. I’m curious if others don’t see the same prospect I see though.

if the lions see what you do, they should take him.  if he's like previous osu qbs, or he's justin fields without the otherwordly athleticism, they shouldnt.

its hard to tell with osu qbs because theyre all throwing to the best wide receivers in college football.  as for the michigan game, i think stroud was fine, and the one time michigan had single coverage on marvin harrison, stroud put an absolute dime to him that got them a big touchdown.

brugler on stroud:

: A two-year starter at Ohio State, Stroud was a record-setting passer for the Buckeyes in head coach Ryan Day’s multiple spread offense. While leading
the FBS in touchdown passes (41) in 2022, Stroud broke Drew Brees’ Big Ten record for the most touchdowns in a two-year span and finished with 17 Ohio State 
records (second in school history with 8,123 career passing yards). Structurally sound, Stroud throws with patience and poise and he can make all the throws. Though
he appears comfortable on plays designed to move his launch point, his improvisation skills when things break down are a work in progress (his outstanding 
performance on the 2022 Georgia tape raises the level of optimism). Overall, Stroud must become more comfortable embracing his athleticism and escapability, 
but he is an outstanding rhythm passer with touch, pacing and ball-speed control to carve up the defense. His passing skills give him an encouraging floor as an 
NFL starter and his development as a creator will ultimately determine his NFL ceiling. 
GRADE: 1st Round (No. 4 overall)