2023 NFL Draft Thread

Mr.TaterSalad

1 hour ago, Tenacious D said:

Not great for us, though—wouldn’t Indy slip in front of the Rams pick with a loss?

They're already ahead of the Rams.

Not great for us because if the Colts win and the Rams lose then the Rams would jump up a spot in the draft...

But I don't want to think about all those complications or my head will explode...

5 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

They're already ahead of the Rams.

Not great for us because if the Colts win and the Rams lose then the Rams would jump up a spot in the draft...

But I don't want to think about all those complications or my head will explode...

Thanks—that was my point.  I’m already assuming a Rams loss.

Mock Draft 1.1

1. Las Vegas Raiders (Trade w/ CHI): CJ Stroud, QB, Ohio State

2. Houston Texans: Bryce Young, QB, Alabama

3. Arizona Cardinals: Myles Murphy, EDGE, Clemson

4. Indianapolis Colts: Will Levis, QB, Kentucky

5. Seattle Seahawks (from DEN): Jalen Carter, DT, Georgia

6. Detroit Lions (from LAR): Will Anderson, EDGE, Alabama

7. Chicago Bears (Trade w/ LV): Peter Skoronski, OT, Northwestern

8. Atlanta Falcons: Bijan Robinson, RB, Texas

9. Carolina Panthers: Tyree Wilson, EDGE, Texas Tech 

10. New York Jets (Trade w/ PHI from NO): Anthony Richardson, QB, Florida

11. Tennessee Titans: Paris Johnson, OT, Ohio State

12. Houston Texans (from CLE): Quentin Johnson, WR, TCU

13. Philadelphia Eagles (Trade w/ NYJ): Jaxon Smith-Njigba, WR, Ohio State

14. New England Patriots: Christian Gonzalez, CB, Oregon

15. Green Bay Packers: Tyler Steen, OT, Alabama

16. Washington Commanders: Joey Porter Jr., CB, Penn State

17. Pittsburgh Steelers: Jaelyn Duncan, OT, Maryland

18. Detroit Lions: Antonio Johnson, DB, Texas A&M

19. Seattle Seahawks: Devon Witherspoon, CB, Illinois

20. Jacksonville Jaguars: Isaiah Foskey, DE, Notre Dame

21. New York Giants: Cedric Tillman, WR, Tennessee

22. Baltimore Ravens: Jordan Addison, WR, USC

23. Dallas Cowboys: Max Melton, CB, Rutgers

24. Los Angeles Chargers: Josh Downs, WR, North Carolina

25. Cincinnati Bengals: Brian Branch, DB, Alabama

26. Minnesota Vikings: Mazi Smith, DT, Michigan 

27. Philadelphia Eagles: Jared Verse, DE, Florida State

28. Detroit Lions (Trade w/ TB): Jahmyr Gibbs, RB, Alabama

29. Kansas City Chiefs: Tuli Tuipuloto, EDGE, USC

30. Denver Broncos (from SF): Zach Charbonnet, RB, UCLA

31. Buffalo Bills: Henry To'oTo'o, LB, Alabama

Lions

2.18 - Traded to TB in deal above

2.26 - Jack Campbell, LB, Iowa

3.18 - Jarrett Patterson, OG, Notre Dame

5.18 - Keeanu Benton, DT, Wisconsin

6.5 (from DEN) - Jake Moody, K, Michigan

6.18 - Stetson Bennett, QB, Georgia

1 hour ago, MichiganCardinal said:

Mock Draft 1.1

1. Las Vegas Raiders (Trade w/ CHI): CJ Stroud, QB, Ohio State

2. Houston Texans: Bryce Young, QB, Alabama

3. Arizona Cardinals: Myles Murphy, EDGE, Clemson

4. Indianapolis Colts: Will Levis, QB, Kentucky

5. Seattle Seahawks (from DEN): Jalen Carter, DT, Georgia

6. Detroit Lions (from LAR): Will Anderson, EDGE, Alabama

7. Chicago Bears (Trade w/ LV): Peter Skoronski, OT, Northwestern

8. Atlanta Falcons: Bijan Robinson, RB, Texas

9. Carolina Panthers: Tyree Wilson, EDGE, Texas Tech 

10. New York Jets (Trade w/ PHI from NO): Anthony Richardson, QB, Florida

11. Tennessee Titans: Paris Johnson, OT, Ohio State

12. Houston Texans (from CLE): Quentin Johnson, WR, TCU

13. Philadelphia Eagles (Trade w/ NYJ): Jaxon Smith-Njigba, WR, Ohio State

14. New England Patriots: Christian Gonzalez, CB, Oregon

15. Green Bay Packers: Tyler Steen, OT, Alabama

16. Washington Commanders: Joey Porter Jr., CB, Penn State

17. Pittsburgh Steelers: Jaelyn Duncan, OT, Maryland

18. Detroit Lions: Antonio Johnson, DB, Texas A&M

19. Seattle Seahawks: Devon Witherspoon, CB, Illinois

20. Jacksonville Jaguars: Isaiah Foskey, DE, Notre Dame

21. New York Giants: Cedric Tillman, WR, Tennessee

22. Baltimore Ravens: Jordan Addison, WR, USC

23. Dallas Cowboys: Max Melton, CB, Rutgers

24. Los Angeles Chargers: Josh Downs, WR, North Carolina

25. Cincinnati Bengals: Brian Branch, DB, Alabama

26. Minnesota Vikings: Mazi Smith, DT, Michigan 

27. Philadelphia Eagles: Jared Verse, DE, Florida State

28. Detroit Lions (Trade w/ TB): Jahmyr Gibbs, RB, Alabama

29. Kansas City Chiefs: Tuli Tuipuloto, EDGE, USC

30. Denver Broncos (from SF): Zach Charbonnet, RB, UCLA

31. Buffalo Bills: Henry To'oTo'o, LB, Alabama

Lions

2.18 - Traded to TB in deal above

2.26 - Jack Campbell, LB, Iowa

3.18 - Jarrett Patterson, OG, Notre Dame

5.18 - Keeanu Benton, DT, Wisconsin

6.5 (from DEN) - Jake Moody, K, Michigan

6.18 - Stetson Bennett, QB, Georgia

Where was this published?  It’s interesting, but I hope we don’t trade up to draft a RB in the 1st round.  

1 hour ago, Tenacious D said:

Where was this published?  It’s interesting, but I hope we don’t trade up to draft a RB in the 1st round.  

I don't think there's any need to do that either. There are 5 or 6 RB's I think that would work well as a #2 (after Jamaal & Swift as #1A and #1B)... I would be comfortable with any of them and at least a couple should be available at our 2nd round pick... 

Blake Corum is going back to UM though... I think he was like the 7th or 8th guy on my radar...

There are a couple of questions regarding who they may pick in the first round. 

Will they consider a DE? They have Hutch obviously at WDE, and Paschal and Cominsky at SDE. And Houston at Edge, so they do not have a need. I have seen a couple of mocks where Wilson or Murphy go to Detroit. Anderson seems like a longshot and he plays Hutch's position anyway. So I don't believe they will take one, seems like an opportunity to trade down.

QB. I still think they will consider taking one, but it is becoming a longshot that they like a QB enough to take one at 6, and that QB actually lasts that long. Having a QB that is good and not making 30 million a year is a huge advantage salary cap wise, plus they could probably get some picks for Goff if they traded him.

Will they consider a lower impact position at either 6 or 18? Like Robinson or any ILB that may be there at 18? Unless they LOVE Robinson and he lasts to 18 they are looking at CB or DL at both picks.

15 minutes ago, Stanley70 said:

There are a couple of questions regarding who they may pick in the first round. 

Will they consider a DE? They have Hutch obviously at WDE, and Paschal and Cominsky at SDE. And Houston at Edge, so they do not have a need. I have seen a couple of mocks where Wilson or Murphy go to Detroit. Anderson seems like a longshot and he plays Hutch's position anyway. So I don't believe they will take one, seems like an opportunity to trade down.

As of today, I think an edge is likely to be the best player available at 6. Possibly by a wide margin. Anderson for sure is a game wrecker that you can’t pass up. Myles Murphy and Tyree Wilson both have the opportunity to rise to that status in the coming months. It’s akin to taking Sewell at #7 despite having Decker and Vaitai under long-term deals. If he’s there, you turn in the card and don’t ask questions.

I think you could put Hutch and the new edge across from one another and tell them to have fun. Meet at the quarterback. With Anderson in particular, they would likely quickly become the best edge duo in the NFL and simply take over some games. That’s not even exaggeration. You can’t double them both, and I think they would immediately help the secondary (especially in Glenn’s blitz heavy defense) by the very nature of the backfield being constantly disrupted.

Houston is a good problem to have, and can be rotated in, or you can even have some unique packages for 3rd & Long situations where you send all three of them. Paschal played a decent amount of 3-tech at Kentucky, and can slide inside, especially if he puts on a bit of weight this off-season. He’s not the greatest edge rusher anyway, I think he would be complimentary. Cominsky has been a good story and a great pickup for Holmes, but I don’t think you let him stop you from from taking a 1st round athlete. He’s also another candidate to put on weight and play 3-tech.

Jalen Carter may be the easiest plug-and-play, in terms of not having to adjust a ton elsewhere. If he’s not there though, there are other potential front seven game-changers that shouldn’t be passed up.

1 hour ago, Stanley70 said:

... Will they consider a DE? They have Hutch obviously at WDE, and Paschal and Cominsky at SDE. And Houston at Edge, so they do not have a need. I have seen a couple of mocks where Wilson or Murphy go to Detroit. Anderson seems like a longshot and he plays Hutch's position anyway. So I don't believe they will take one, seems like an opportunity to trade down...

Paschal, Cominsky, and Houston will not stop the Lions from drafting Myles Murphy or Tyree Wilson.

My 1st choice would be Jalen Carter... but I would happily take Murphy or Wilson...

1 hour ago, Stanley70 said:

... Will they consider a lower impact position at either 6 or 18? Like Robinson or any ILB that may be there at 18? Unless they LOVE Robinson and he lasts to 18 they are looking at CB or DL at both picks.

Trent Simpson, LB'er. Or a CB. I don't see a RB picked here nor a 2nd DL'man...

Another DL here? Why?

I don’t see 3 RB’s in the first round.    There have been 5 total taken there the last 4 drafts combined.  Not sure why Atlanta would think about RB after finding Tyler Alleigeir in the 5th round last year and seeing him break 1000 yards.  They still have Cordarrelle Patterson under an accepted contract for next year as well.   

I think it would be a huge waste for the Lions to spend an early pick on RB.  They have a deep room and Swift’s injury history is overplayed.   He needs to become more consistent but it’s a talent that you don’t give up on.  Now that could change if his agent demands a contact extension now instead of next year but I think the team likes and wants Swift to become a 2nd contract player here rather than let him go.    

You really only need 2 RB.   You can find decent guys on the street to be backups as we have done with Jackson and Reynolds.  You can draft one in the 7th round and see if they stick like a Jefferson or Ty Johnson a few years back.   It just doesn’t seem like a ton of value trading up for RB.  I’m not picking up that if you have a first string platoon that the 3rd RB is now the 2nd string backup.   That doesn’t make sense.  He’s still the 3rd RB and those really are a dime a dozen.  

• Like 1

if stroud or young are somehow there at 6 they will have to consider them, but i dont think they will be.

i'm not sold on levis, but if holmes is sold then he should be considered too.

the ability to sit a qb for a year (or two) and watch and learn would be very valuable.  as ive said, i think that was always the plan.

otoh, goff has played well enough this year for them to put the plan off for at least another year.  and next year's qb class is supposed to be very good.

On 1/7/2023 at 10:52 AM, tiger2022 said:

I have no idea why people want to replace Goff.  

Here's why some people (myself included) are concerned about Goff long term:

1. He played noticeably worse in road games this year.

image.png.fd3534e9fcd0df2b65338dd9d3c1ef1e.png

Now that obviously wasn't only on him... there are other factors involved.  But it's a pretty big split between home and away.

2. He doesn't have great arm strength.  Many of his deep passes end up short of the receiver.

That said you are right that he has a lot of good traits... protects the ball, great leader, accurate on short/medium routes, good decision making.  I'm not saying that the Lions should use a high pick... in fact I am saying I don't want them to use a first round pick on a QB this year. 

But I think there are definitely areas where Goff is lacking.  This is normal of course... it's pretty rare to have a player with zero negative areas.

• DET
    Bryan Bresee
    DT Clemson
    trade icon
  • DET
    Joey Porter Jr.
    CB Penn State

• DET
    Sedrick Van Pran
    OC Georgia
    trade icon
  • DET
    Nolan Smith
    EDGE Georgia

• DET
    DeMarvion Overshown
    LB Texas

• DET
    Jammie Robinson
    S Florida State

• DET
    Spencer Rattler
    QB South Carolina

• DET
    Daiyan Henley
    LB Washington State

• 2024 NE 1st
  • 2024 NE 2nd
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, RedRamage said:

Here's why some people (myself included) are concerned about Goff long term:

1. He played noticeably worse in road games this year.

image.png.fd3534e9fcd0df2b65338dd9d3c1ef1e.png

Now that obviously wasn't only on him... there are other factors involved.  But it's a pretty big split between home and away.

2. He doesn't have great arm strength.  Many of his deep passes end up short of the receiver.

That said you are right that he has a lot of good traits... protects the ball, great leader, accurate on short/medium routes, good decision making.  I'm not saying that the Lions should use a high pick... in fact I am saying I don't want them to use a first round pick on a QB this year. 

But I think there are definitely areas where Goff is lacking.  This is normal of course... it's pretty rare to have a player with zero negative areas.

3.  limited mobility in a league where more mobile qbs are becoming great weapons.

4. higher salary moving forward than a rookie qb.

5. he hasnt been great against good defenses because his arm talent is limited, imo.  he looks like a "system qb" more than a difference maker.  he's alex smith, not matt stafford.  

none of this means they cant or shouldnt move forward with goff.  but it does mean they should be on the lookout for talent upgrades at the most important position in sports.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, RedRamage said:

image.thumb.png.c146b4d3f156c2675fa4b3bb5bb536c5.png

I wished you would have drafted Schoonmaker higher and I would have liked this draft better. I think he needed to be a round or two higher.

In all seriousness, you have to admit that you'd be pretty disappointed if they actually spent a first round pick on Michael Mayer or any TE given all their needs defensively.

Don’t forget this front office traded up to pick a WR largely on the strength of his special teams tape. Yes Jaymo can fly, but Holmes said something like “He got that dawg in him.” So if someone ranks prospects by how much of that dawg they got in them, I’d like to see it. 

Over 50 yards in the air, off his back foot, rolling left, throwing across the field, defender in his face, on the road, in the cold, perfect strike, lacks arm strength though.

Bonus coverage of Goff throwing over 60 yards in the air on the road in the cold

https://www.detroitlions.com/video/highlight-goff-unleashes-56-yard-bomb-to-raymond

Goff is also one of the more accurate deep throwers.

Goff finishes the season 5th in TDs, 5th in QBR, 6th in yards, 7th in QB rating. That QBR and QB rating is higher than Josh Allen. Lions offense is 5th in the league in PPG. When the running game started to decline and they leaned on the passing game more, Goff got better which blows a whole in the narrative of only being successful when he has an elite run game. The system QB is now a top 10 QB in two different systems. This team has a 28 year old top 10 QB. They don't need a QB. Not sure what else Goff needs to do. 

My ideal Lions 6 round mock draft:

6. Whoever Brad Holmes Wants

18. Whoever Brad Holmes Wants
48. Whoever Brad Holmes Wants

59. Whoever Brad Holmes Wants

81. Whoever Brad Holmes Wants

149. Whoever Brad Holmes Wants

169. Whoever Brad Holmes Wants

180. Whoever Brad Holmes Wants

Edited by Hongbit
  • Haha 1