2023 NFL Draft Thread

Mr.TaterSalad

36 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

I wished you would have drafted Schoonmaker higher and I would have liked this draft better. I think he needed to be a round or two higher.

In all seriousness, you have to admit that you'd be pretty disappointed if they actually spent a first round pick on Michael Mayer or any TE given all their needs defensively.

Oh absolutely.  TE is super low priority.  If they spent even a 3rd round on TE I'm be upset.

14 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Over 50 yards in the air, off his back foot, rolling left, throwing across the field, defender in his face, on the road, in the cold, perfect strike, lacks arm strength though.

Bonus coverage of Goff throwing over 60 yards in the air on the road in the cold

https://www.detroitlions.com/video/highlight-goff-unleashes-56-yard-bomb-to-raymond

Goff is also one of the more accurate deep throwers.

Goff finishes the season 5th in TDs, 5th in QBR, 6th in yards, 7th in QB rating. That QBR and QB rating is higher than Josh Allen. Lions offense is 5th in the league in PPG. When the running game started to decline and they leaned on the passing game more, Goff got better which blows a whole in the narrative of only being successful when he has an elite run game. The system QB is now a top 10 QB in two different systems. This team has a 28 year old top 10 QB. They don't need a QB. Not sure what else Goff needs to do. 

arm strength is about more than just throwing it 50 yards hauss

Edited by KL2

12 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

My ideal Lions 6 round mock draft:

6. Whoever Brad Holmes Wants

18. Whoever Brad Holmes Wants
48. Whoever Brad Holmes Wants

59. Whoever Brad Holmes Wants

81. Whoever Brad Holmes Wants

149. Whoever Brad Holmes Wants

169. Whoever Brad Holmes Wants

180. Whoever Brad Holmes Wants

I like the 6th round steals you grabbed!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hongbit said:

...   I think it would be a huge waste for the Lions to spend an early pick on RB.  They have a deep room and Swift’s injury history is overplayed...

You really only need 2 RB.   You can find ...

Can you guarantee that Swift will be available for the Playoffs next year?

I want a 2nd or 3rd round RB drafted. I won't be swayed otherwise.

29 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

My ideal Lions 6 round mock draft:

6. Whoever Brad Holmes Wants

18. Whoever Brad Holmes Wants
48. Whoever Brad Holmes Wants

59. Whoever Brad Holmes Wants

81. Whoever Brad Holmes Wants

149. Whoever Brad Holmes Wants

169. Whoever Brad Holmes Wants

180. Whoever Brad Holmes Wants

Damn!!!

That's not a bad draft!!!

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

Can you guarantee that Swift will be available for the Playoffs next year?

I want a 2nd or 3rd round RB drafted. I won't be swayed otherwise.

Cant make that guarantee on Swift. He’s been good for 13 games a season which is 80% of thr time.  That’s not bad for an RB.  

I’m not opposed to taking a RB in the 3rd.  I’m definitely on board if they somehow don’t bring back JW.  Might even be convinced to go 2nd in that scenario.

Swift's fragility and the decision about RB goes beyond next season. Swift is going to be due a contract after next year. He was a high 2nd round pick, so there is no 5th year option. He's just not a guy I would want to pay long-term unless he can show durability, and I've personally seen enough across three seasons to say we won't get there with him... 9 games of 10+ touches in 2020, 11 games in 2021, and 7 games in 2022. That's only 27 of the 50 games the Lions have played since he joined the team, and it's more likely to get worse than better as he ages. I respect the shit out of him going out there and battling through injury this year, but I just need more out of my RB1.

I wouldn't love the idea of taking one at 1.6, but if you see a guy like Robinson at 1.18, or a guy like Gibbs in the late 1st or early 2nd, that can do what Swift did against Philadelphia and Washington, and do it consistently across a 17+ game season, I'm all in, 100%.

Trade Swift to a team that is willing to pay him, pick up some additional draft capital, and replace him with his healthy alternative for the next 4-5 years. 

• Thanks 1

Here are the RB’s taken in the 1st 3 rounds of the 2020 draft:

Clyde Edwards-Hellaire - #32 - 33 games - 17 TD

D’Andre Swift - #35 -  40 - 26 TD

Jonathan Taylor - #41 - 43 - 36 TD

Cam Akers - #52 - 29 - 10 TD

JK Dobbins - #55 - 23 - 12 TD

AJ Dillon - #62 - 45 - 16 TD

Ke’Shawn Vaughn - #76 - 37 - 3 TD

Darrynton Evans - #93 -12 - 1 TD

Zach Moss - #86 - 39 - 11 TD

Swift has played in 80% of possible Lions games.  Only Jon Taylor and AJ Dillon have been in more.  The guy is plenty durable.  The touches per game are a Lions team decision and even so he’s still out producing everyone in his draft class but Taylor.    

1 minute ago, Hongbit said:

Swift has played in 80% of possible Lions games.  Only Jon Taylor and AJ Dillon have been in more.  The guy is plenty durable.  The touches per game are a Lions team decision and even so he’s still out producing everyone in his draft class but Taylor.    

a lot of the "touches per game" this season waa becauss swift wasnt 100%.  you could tell when he played.  shying away from contact or looking out for contact instead of running hard.

i think mc is correct that swift just hasnt been able to stay healthy, and that youre right that when he is healthy and playing he's an excellent back.

i dont know what you would get in draft capital by trading him, likely not very much.  the league knows he's injured a lot and running back is not a premium position.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

I think looking at games played is a little disingenuous. I'll admit my 10 touches metric is arbitrary, but it's fair to say that Swift hasn't been a valuable asset in every game he's suited up for. A player who suits up but sits on the sideline for all but a carry or two isn't helping the team and isn't worth a long-term deal.

Additionally, even beyond the merits of Swift himself, I think it's a very rare RB that ever deserves a high priced second contract. Of that 2020 class, I could see working with Jonathan Taylor, depending on the amount. Of the first three rounds from the 2019 class that is up for decisions now (Josh Jacobs, Miles Sanders, Darrell Henderson, David Montgomery, Devin Singletary, Damien Harris, and Alex Mattison), I would probably try to keep Jacobs and that's it... I don't think there is anything wrong with drafting a quality RB high every 4 years or so, as long as you find the right one instead of Kerryon Johnson, Ameer Abdullah, or Mikel Leshore.

30 minutes ago, buddha said:

a lot of the "touches per game" this season waa becauss swift wasnt 100%.  you could tell when he played.  shying away from contact or looking out for contact instead of running hard.

i think mc is correct that swift just hasnt been able to stay healthy, and that youre right that when he is healthy and playing he's an excellent back.

i dont know what you would get in draft capital by trading him, likely not very much.  the league knows he's injured a lot and running back is not a premium position.

This is fair. I don't think you would get much for him, but it's also not something I would set out to do. More so if you end up taking Bijan or Gibbs that you don't need both.

23 minutes ago, buddha said:

I see the touches per game having more to do with his issues staying with the play call and hitting the right holes than durability.   He was dancing and going east/west way too much the first two years.  He got better this year but still had moments where he didn’t run strong and confident.  They also have Jamaal, who they know and trust to do the right things and have the luxury of giving him the ball when Swift has had his brain farts. 

26 minutes ago, buddha said:

I wouldn't mind another RB for depth, but I wouldn't do that until 3rd round or later.  We have other needs first.  I do agree you likely wouldn't get much in return for Swift right now.  There were times this season when it looked like he was broken, then 3 plays later dynamite!

2 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I think looking at games played is a little disingenuous. I'll admit my 10 touches metric is arbitrary, but it's fair to say that Swift hasn't been a valuable asset in every game he's suited up for. A player who suits up but sits on the sideline for all but a carry or two isn't helping the team and isn't worth a long-term deal.

Additionally, even beyond the merits of Swift himself, I think it's a very rare RB that ever deserves a high priced second contract. Of that 2020 class, I could see working with Jonathan Taylor, depending on the amount. Of the first three rounds from the 2019 class that is up for decisions now (Josh Jacobs, Miles Sanders, Darrell Henderson, David Montgomery, Devin Singletary, Damien Harris, and Alex Mattison), I would probably try to keep Jacobs and that's it... I don't think there is anything wrong with drafting a quality RB high every 4 years or so, as long as you find the right one instead of Kerryon Johnson, Ameer Abdullah, or Mikel Leshore.

I’m not sure he’s worth a long term deal yet.  I wouldn’t give him one this off season.  If he demands it then I’d let him hold out.  I don’t want to give up on him yet because you can see the talent.   He’s got another year to improve and I think he could do some really special things next year.   I think his issue had more to do with mental mistakes and don’t see a problem with durability.  I think that’s a label that’s stuck to him that doesn’t play out when you take a deeper look.  

The idea of saying fuck it on every RB and drafting a new one every 4 years either late 1st or early 2nd is interesting.  I’m not necessarily opposed to that thinking.  The shelf life is short and there is value to be found later on.   Something to ponder for sure.  

33 minutes ago, djhutch said:

I wouldn't mind another RB for depth, but I wouldn't do that until 3rd round or later.  We have other needs first.  I do agree you likely wouldn't get much in return for Swift right now.  There were times this season when it looked like he was broken, then 3 plays later dynamite!

Our 2nd round picks are mid and late.

I'm fine with using any of the 2nd or 3rd round picks as long as we can get the right guy... like MC said, not Kerryon, Abdullah, or LeShoure. That still leaves the two 1sts, and 2 of 3 picks in the mid-to-late 2nd and mid 3rd for other defensive help. I don't care which pick they use if Holmes feels like he's getting the right guy.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, buddha said:

if im ranking those ten qbs for last season i would have it:

mahomes

allen

burrow

brady

hurts

goff

lawrence

tua

geno

garappolo

might flip goff and lawrence.  would definitely take lawrence moving forward.

It's important to note that this was PASSING ONLY... so running QBs are gonna ranked lower.