2023 NFL Draft Thread

Mr.TaterSalad

1 hour ago, Hongbit said:

Sean Payton had mentioned it but if the NFL was ever considering a draft lottery this would be the offseason to install it.

No matter what, Detroit got a great year to host the draft.

Please no!  I do not believe there is an honest lottery in sports, and the NFL is as shady as leagues come.

i hate lotteries, but if there ever one sport where it made absolutely no sense, its football.

even the bears, thr tankiest tank who ever tanked, were very close to winning 5 or 6 games.

look at the texans this year.  they won the last game on a two point conversion to lose the #1 pick.

no lotteries in football.

9 minutes ago, buddha said:

i hate lotteries, but if there ever one sport where it made absolutely no sense, its football.

even the bears, thr tankiest tank who ever tanked, were very close to winning 5 or 6 games.

look at the texans this year.  they won the last game on a two point conversion to lose the #1 pick.

no lotteries in football.

Draft lotteries serve no purpose, and absolutely do not have any effect on their intended function. They were created for the worst of reasons; to address a perception.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Longgone said:

Draft lotteries serve no purpose, and absolutely do not have any effect on their intended function. They were created for the worst of reasons; to address a perception.

I think they were SOLD to the public as a way to address a perception, but their function is to allow a monopoly to have full control.

1 hour ago, Longgone said:

I can’t even imagine the shit show that would be going on in both NBA & NHL this season if there were no lotteries

33 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

I can’t even imagine the shit show that would be going on in both NBA & NHL this season if there were no lotteries

What’s the lottery really incentivize?  If you are already bad wouldn’t you tank anyway to get the best odds?  Seems like that’s exactly what is going on.  Except that the NHL and NBA can decide who gets the pick.

EDIT: Never mind.  Been addressed already.

Edited by sagnam

16 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

Not only that...

But it's pointless to even theorize about "tanking" in the NHL and MLB (with no lottery thank Zeus) because it takes so frickin' long for prospects to develop. 

Connor Bedard will be immediately play in the NHL and probably be a star from day 1.

47 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

Not only that...

But it's pointless to even theorize about "tanking" in the NHL and MLB (with no lottery thank Zeus) because it takes so frickin' long for prospects to develop. 

I at least get the theory in the NBA... But the lottery in the NHL is just completely asinine. 

IMO.

MLB started a lottery this year.  The Tigers benefited and moved up 3 spots.

9 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

MLB started a lottery this year.  The Tigers benefited and moved up 3 spots.

Great.

I'm not going to look a gift horse in the mouth.

But I still think it is absolutely asinine to have a lottery in the NHL or MLB. Just because one of my teams gets some lottery luck doesn't mean I'm going to go: "Oh WOW. Now I LOVE lotteries!!!" Asinine NHL & MLB lotteries, period. That, or I just hate lotteries in general (I do).

Even if the Red Wings luck into the #1 spot and get Bedard... it doesn't change my opinion at all.

There's no point to NHL tanking is my opinion and I'm sticking with it.

The NBA? I get it. One transformational player changes the entire trajectory of a team. And if 14 teams are suddenly dumping every single player that gets team a win in order to chase the #1 or a top 3 spot, I get it... it's a mess.

But I didn't complain about a lottery in the NBA (I still hate lotteries...), but my complaint was on the NHL and MLB lotteries, FYI.

5 minutes ago, buddha said:

if you dont think teams in the nhl and nba tank, i direct your attention to the chicago blackhawks this year.

Also... addressing tanking specifically...

I don't care.

I mean that... if a team is not successful, then dump veterans, high dollar contracts, and rebuild. You call it tanking, I call it rebuilding. And I don't think rebuilding is a crime like how many treat a "tanking" team, as if it were criminal or something.

If a team wants to strip down and try again, do it. It's no skin off my back. And it's a smart play.

7 minutes ago, buddha said:

no, but it did prevent them from being rewarded with the #1 pick!

again, i dont like lotteries.

And give it to someone else who probably acted in a similar way. What's the point if it doesn't change the intended behavior?

TLDR, but I had and old business school prof who had a rule that an organization should never punish the many for the transgressions of a few, and if you have to deal with an issue, don't do it obliquely, but directly and specifically and any changes should be based on solid data and analysis, not "perception". Lotteries fly in the face of that.

• Like 1