2023 NFL Draft Thread

Mr.TaterSalad

1 hour ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

If Stroud doesn't declare that really shakes up the top 5-10 of the draft I think.

I agree. It increases the value of the #1 pick, and probably encourages a team or two to wait on a QB until next year.

I can’t imagine what kind of NIL money would make him stay though. He’s got a real shot at QB1 this year. I think him and Young are side by side. He’s QB2 next year at best. That’s not even considering injury risk.

Seems like a good spot for this (probably works in the draft thread too as it might affect draft philosophy):

Aidan Hutchinson was double-teamed more than any other NFL pass rusher in 2022

https://sports.yahoo.com/aidan-hutchinson-double-teamed-more-115003446.html

PS: This is why I have Myles Murphy high on my list as a bookend to Hutch. All (most) the other guys at DE/ Edge/ pass-rusher on the team seem like situational guys to me, not 3-down defensive ends... And Murphy could slide inside on passing downs so you could have a 4-man rush of Houston-Murphy-McNeil-Hutch...

this is surprising, mock from The Athletic

6. Detroit Lions (via L.A. Rams): Christian Gonzalez, CB, Oregon
After Anderson and Carter, there is a clear drop-off to the next tier of non-quarterback prospects in this class.

Christian Gonzalez flashed enough at Colorado to earn the No. 9 spot on my summer top-50 board, and he lived up to that hype in his one season at Oregon. With his speed/length athletic profile and the Lions’ need at cornerback, Gonzalez (the brother-in-law of former Lions’ backup quarterback David Blough) should be on Detroit’s short list for its first of two Round 1 picks.

15. Detroit Lions (via Green Bay): Anthony Richardson, QB, Florida
Projected trade: No. 15 for Nos. 18 and 48

In last year’s first round, the Lions made a major trade with a division foe to move up for a high-upside offensive star (Jameson Williams). They could do it again this year and invest in their future at the quarterback position.

Thanks to his size, athleticism and arm, Anthony Richardson is a total freak show with a high ceiling, but he’s still figuring out how to be a consistent passer. Jared Goff’s presence would let Detroit develop Richardson at his own pace.

Edited by RatkoVarda

These mocks get worse and worse. That same mock has Seattle trading with Carolina so Carolina can draft a QB but they have Detroit taking a QB and not Seattle. Apparently they believe in Geno Smith and not Goff. Then to top it off they have the Lions trading up with Green Bay to draft a QB instead of using the 6th pick to draft a better QB. 

I just can't believe how many mock drafts still have a QB going to Detroit but not Seattle. 

34 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

These mocks get worse and worse. That same mock has Seattle trading with Carolina so Carolina can draft a QB but they have Detroit taking a QB and not Seattle. Apparently they believe in Geno Smith and not Goff. Then to top it off they have the Lions trading up with Green Bay to draft a QB instead of using the 6th pick to draft a better QB. 

I just can't believe how many mock drafts still have a QB going to Detroit but not Seattle. 

At the very least, the Lions have a crying need for a backup. They have scouted Florida heavily all year.

IMO, Richardson would be a perfect type to draft this year. He's the most talented QB in this draft.

Edited by Cruzer1

I will jump off the Brad Holmes bandwagon if he drafts a backup QB in the 1st round. This whole backup thing is overblown. Goff didn't miss a snap this season. He's missed a total of 5 games the past 6 seasons and only 3 were due to injury. One was because the Rams had everything locked up and another was due to COVID. Just sign a veteran. 

Edited by Motown Bombers
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

I will jump off the Brad Holmes bandwagon if he drafts a backup QB in the 1st round. This whole backup thing is overblown. Goff didn't miss a snap this season. He's missed a total of 5 games the past 6 seasons and only 3 were due to injury. One was because the Rams had everything locked up and another was due to COVID. Just sign a veteran. 

Agreed, look at all these 6-7 round backups in the playoffs JUST this year. Holmes will find a nugget QB 3-5 rounds.

I don't think the Lions should draft a QB at all. After Holmes found players like Rodriguez and Houston in the 6th round, I would rather he not draft a QB who is most likely not to play at all. The Lions have a top 10 QB who is 28 and signed to a very reasonable contract. I haven't seen a fanbase want to move on from a young top 10 QB since Matthew Stafford. 

Edited by Motown Bombers
  • Thanks 1

On 1/16/2023 at 11:24 AM, 1984Echoes said:

Seems like a good spot for this (probably works in the draft thread too as it might affect draft philosophy):

Aidan Hutchinson was double-teamed more than any other NFL pass rusher in 2022

https://sports.yahoo.com/aidan-hutchinson-double-teamed-more-115003446.html

PS: This is why I have Myles Murphy high on my list as a bookend to Hutch. All (most) the other guys at DE/ Edge/ pass-rusher on the team seem like situational guys to me, not 3-down defensive ends... And Murphy could slide inside on passing downs so you could have a 4-man rush of Houston-Murphy-McNeil-Hutch...

I believe the franchise is relying on Romeo Okwara coming back to full strength and Josh Paschal becoming a quality player.    Either of those things happening should free up Hutch a little bit more.   

1 hour ago, Motown Bombers said:

Yeah...

I'm going to do the opposite.

Holmes has earned my trust. He's able to spot talent, full stop.

I'm just going to trust whatever draft decisions he makes because... what do I know? If he drafts Richardson in the 1st round... I'm just going to trust him that he thinks in a couple years AR can be a dynamic QB and push Goff.

I have my preferences, and it's to not draft a QB or RB in the 1st round. I will offer my opinions, my mocks, guys I like the most and why...

But in the end... in Brad Holmes I trust.

• Like 1

I'm of the belief that you can always trade up down the road if/when you're ready to move on from Goff. It will of course cost more draft capital but if you get the qb you really want at a time when you really need him then it'l would be worth it.

No need drafting one early now when you're likely not going to need him for atleast 2-3 years anyway. 

I don’t think the Lions trading up and drafting Anthony Richardson at 15 or so would be the same as the Packers trading up and drafting Jordan Love at 26.

Richardson has the highest ceiling of all the QB prospects in this draft (IMO). His athleticism and arm strength is off the charts and I could understand why a team with good scouts and good coaching like the Lions would be intrigued. In the perfect situation, he could easily become the QB1 of the draft, and an absolute steal to a team that picks him as the 4th QB off the board. He could also bust and be out of the league in two years if he’s put into the wrong situation. The latter is probably much more likely, as I think a team in the top ten reaches a bit for him and tries to make him start out of the gate. He desperately needs to sit for a season if he’s going to have success at the NFL level. Jordan Love never had close to the upside that Richardson has.

Additionally, Jared Goff is not Aaron Rodgers. Goff has proven his worth, and I like him a lot, but he’s not a Hall of Fame prima donna QB who just signed a long-term extension. If you see the next 21/22yo top-five QB sliding down the draft board, I don’t have an issue drafting over Goff. But damn, you better freaking be right.

All said, I don’t think it’s going to happen. For either the Lions to make the move, or Richardson to slide. I think the Lions are very happy with Goff, and that he will sign something of a restructured extension this off-season that ensures he’s here at least through 2024.

• Like 1

If we did go the qb route Richardson would probably be my preferred choice not just cause of his upside but I like the fact he is a completely different qb than Goff. 

I think we could use him sparringly early on in his career in RPO sets to compliment Goff and throw defenses off. Much like UM did with JJ and Cade the previous year and SF was doing early this year with Lance and Jimmy G.

This way Richardson gets some game experience without throwing him straight into the fire or alienating Goff.