2023 NFL Draft Thread

Mr.TaterSalad

1 hour ago, Hongbit said:

I believe the franchise is relying on Romeo Okwara coming back to full strength and Josh Paschal becoming a quality player.    Either of those things happening should free up Hutch a little bit more.   

I don’t think they would let Romeo stop them from taking a dynamic play-maker. At his best, he’s a solid starter, and with him coming off an Achilles injury, there is no guarantee he gets back to that best (though early returns were promising)… If you did draft over him, he would make for very good depth, and it would let him be somewhat limited in his usage, which would probably also help him. The same goes for Houston (though the way he took the league by storm, Houston may come out of camp as the starter over Romeo if we don’t draft an edge high).

Paschal could slide inside. He might do so anyway. If they draft an edge high, I would expect word to come out in the month following that he’s bulking up and going to play more of a 3-tech position inside of Hutch or the other edge. He did so at Kentucky fairly frequently, and it better suits his strength as a bull-rusher. He’s not a game-breaking athlete the way Hutch, some of those rookies, and maybe Houston are.

10 minutes ago, buddha said:

i think okwara is just as likely to get cut than to be good next season.  he has a high cap number, is coming off a serious injury, and has younger players nipping at his heels.

I agree. I would consider restructuring him if he’ll take a pay cut. But if Houston is likely to win that job, or an edge is likely at 1.6 or 1.18, I don’t think I would pay depth as much as he is owed.

I expect Okwara and Charles Harris to be cut. Brockers is a no brainer cut. Vaitai is a high possibility. That's about $28 million in cap space if all were pre June cuts (Could save more on past June 1st cuts). They can also create about $12 million if they restructure Goff. That's about $40 million in cap space they can create. Added to what they already project to have and that is about $55 million in cap space this off season. 

10 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

I expect Okwara and Charles Harris to be cut. Brockers is a no brainer cut. Vaitai is a high possibility. That's about $28 million in cap space if all were pre June cuts (Could save more on past June 1st cuts). They can also create about $12 million if they restructure Goff. That's about $40 million in cap space they can create. Added to what they already project to have and that is about $55 million in cap space this off season. 

If you designate Okwara and Vatai as post June 1st cuts, the Lions would have $59 million in cap space. They can still sign Goff to an extension to clear even more space if they wanted to. They also have the option of restructuring Ragnow or Decker if they want to. They also have to be cognizant of extensions coming soon for St Brown and Sewell. 

Edited by Motown Bombers

If they hang on to Okwara and don't structure Goff they should have enough left to bring back of few of their own free agents. Like Chark, Elliot, Williams, Buggs and Cominsky. Brown and Anzalone are probably goners.

If they do cut Romeo and restructure Goff the could potentially sign a decent free agent or land someone in a trade. I think Stephen Gilmore from Indy might be a decent CB to go after.

The Bears can pull a 2021 Jaguars if they want to immediately be in the .500 range at the expense of long-term prospects.

I would still rather be the Lions than the Jaguars or Bears (even despite the Jags recent success), and I don’t think the type of personalities we would add in free agency are the type that is just going to the highest bidder no matter what.

13 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

The Bears can pull a 2021 Jaguars if they want to immediately be in the .500 range at the expense of long-term prospects.

I would still rather be the Lions than the Jaguars or Bears (even despite the Jags recent success), and I don’t think the type of personalities we would add in free agency are the type that is just going to the highest bidder no matter what.

the jags have the best developmental qb prospect in the game.  i think their future is as bright as the lions because of that alone.

1 hour ago, buddha said:

the jags have the best developmental qb prospect in the game.  i think their future is as bright as the lions because of that alone.

I know I'm in the minority about Lawrence but I'm not a believer yet. You can't go halves of football throwing four interceptions and expect to be a good quarterback. If Daniel Jones or Ryan Tannehill threw four picks in the first half of their first playoff game, there would be calls for their head to be on a stake in town hall. He's gotten a lot of 'passes' for being who he is and having been anointed as God's gift to football when he was drafted. 

5 hours ago, Cruzer1 said:

At the very least, the Lions have a crying need for a backup. They have scouted Florida heavily all year.

IMO, Richardson would be a perfect type to draft this year. He's the most talented QB in this draft.

You don't need to draft a developmental QB in the 1st round who will be a backup for the next few years. Perhaps if Goff had an uneven performance this season and the Lions were further behind in the rebuild. Now that they are closer to "win now", you want to draft potential starters with the high picks and take the project QB later in the draft.

ESPN has article out ranking the 100 most valuable players in football last year based off various metrics. 

Goff came in at number 15 overall and 7th highest qb, the only other 2 Lions to make it were ARSB at 43 and Hutch at 80.

Surprised no offensive lineman made it especially Sewell but apparently the line wasn't as good using the metrics they used as they appeared to us. 

They give up very few pressures let alone sacks, have one of the stronger run games in the league, are great in short yardage, I mean what else is there?

Maybe there are just a ton of depth in offensive line this year so there are a bunch of guys that are even better. Either that or they feel that other players are to credit for those aforementioned successes and not the OL.

49 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I know I'm in the minority about Lawrence but I'm not a believer yet. You can't go halves of football throwing four interceptions and expect to be a good quarterback. If Daniel Jones or Ryan Tannehill threw four picks in the first half of their first playoff game, there would be calls for their head to be on a stake in town hall. He's gotten a lot of 'passes' for being who he is and having been anointed as God's gift to football when he was drafted. 

He deserves some leeway when you're talking about when a QB as highly touted as he was goes 7-2 down the stretch with 15 TDs and 2 INTs under a real coach now (I don't even think the season with Urban should count). I think he'll start to take off from here, too much talent and drive to not to.

56 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

lawrence made great progress as the year went on.  he's in his second year and has a division title and playoff win under his belt.  he has arm strength, mobility, and great size.  unlike justin fields, he can get the ball out in under 3 seconds.  unless he gets injured he's going to be very good.

as nylion said, this is his first year with a legitimate nfl head coach calling plays for him.  he's going to be fine.  i think he'll look a lot like joe burrow next year.