2023 NFL Draft Thread

Mr.TaterSalad

1 hour ago, buddha said:

that's the exception.  other than him, almost no qb has been successful with that low of a completion percentage in college.

buy the game is changing and more qbs are running now.  richardson can certainly do that.

richardson looks like a bigger malik willis.  and he fell to round 3...

Of course. And I assume that Allen and the other QBs who moonlight as RBs will have shorter careers than the prototypical drop back QBs who rely more on accuracy. But it does seem like  GMs (Howie Roseman) are increasingly willing to take mobile, athletic QB prospects, roll with them until they break, then repeat. 

3 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

I know it will never happen, but I would like to see platooning QBs. Goff would be the starter but then you bring in Richardson in the middle of the game for a change of pace for a few drives and bring Goff back in to close it out. Against teams like the Lions who struggle with mobile QBs, maybe you give Richardson more snaps.

It's a theory, but I think what it runs up against is that every drive in an NFL game is important enough you have to put your best shot to score out there. No matter how you start a platoon out, sooner or later you will be forced to conclude you have a better chance to score with one guy compared to the other and the platoon ends.

I think it might almost work if you looked at it based on the opposition - so for instance if you are playing the Lions and you have a mobile QB you start him in preference to the drop back guy. Again, seems sensible but you run into all the intangibles issues about 'who is my starting QB' and which players support which guy and a lot of misc noise the coach might rather not deal with.

Edited by gehringer_2

23 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

I know it will never happen, but I would like to see platooning QBs. Goff would be the starter but then you bring in Richardson in the middle of the game for a change of pace for a few drives and bring Goff back in to close it out. Against teams like the Lions who struggle with mobile QBs, maybe you give Richardson more snaps.

Taysom Hill. Though I don’t understand why Payton would have done this with Drew Brees under center. 

4 minutes ago, Jason_R said:

Taysom Hill. Though I don’t understand why Payton would have done this with Drew Brees under center. 

That's who I was thinking about. I feel that was the plan in Philadelphia with Hurts and Wentz but Wentz had a meltdown. I was thinking even more how some college teams use multiple QBs. It's unlikely since the NFL has to have the guy.

If Lance didn't get hurt I think the 49ers were going to try to do something similar with him and Jimmy G this year. Kinda related but I'll never forget back when UM had Brady and Henson one time Brady acted like he was injured so they could bring in the more mobile Henson to run some sorta QB reverse. Of course Brady was completely fine and came in the next play but him acting like he was hurt made it so the trick play with the more athletic QB wasn't completely telegraphed. 

4 hours ago, Jason_R said:

Of course. And I assume that Allen and the other QBs who moonlight as RBs will have shorter careers than the prototypical drop back QBs who rely more on accuracy. But it does seem like  GMs (Howie Roseman) are increasingly willing to take mobile, athletic QB prospects, roll with them until they break, then repeat. 

In Allen's favor, he doesn't look small and breakable like a lot of running QB's do... he looks more like a Cam Newton 2.0... but we'll see if he lasts longer than Newton because his career did end up shorter as well than a pure drop-back guy...

4 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

I think how this works best is not how you have it described but, rather:

A "Jack" QB (I just made that up... but I'm trying to remember a couple of QB's who played a hybrid RB/ WR/ QB (Jack-of-all trades) position... well. Hines Ward with the Steelers? Or was it someone else with the Steelers I think...? College QB, but came in and did every damn thing... Which I guess isn't Ward since he was 99% a WR and only did a tiny amount of running (reverses...?). 

3 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

If Lance didn't get hurt I think the 49ers were going to try to do something similar with him and Jimmy G this year. Kinda related but I'll never forget back when UM had Brady and Henson one time Brady acted like he was injured so they could bring in the more mobile Henson to run some sorta QB reverse. Of course Brady was completely fine and came in the next play but him acting like he was hurt made it so the trick play with the more athletic QB wasn't completely telegraphed. 

Lloyd Carr's handling of Henson was not his finest hour.

15 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

A "Jack" QB (I just made that up... but I'm trying to remember a couple of QB's who played a hybrid RB/ WR/ QB (Jack-of-all trades) position... well. Hines Ward with the Steelers? Or was it someone else with the Steelers I think...? College QB, but came in and did every damn thing... Which I guess isn't Ward since he was 99% a WR and only did a tiny amount of running (reverses...?). 

You're probably thinking Kordell Stewart pre Ben...

15 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

Kordell Stewart for the Steelers was one guy...

10 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Lloyd Carr's handling of Henson was not his finest hour.

Definitely not but to think that at one point Michigan had the greatest QB to ever live in Brady and one of the 5 best college QB prospects ever or atleast in recent memory in Henson. That last point may seem hyperbole but if you go back in time and read what scouts had to say about him it is true. In honor of Michigan winning in Columbus for the first time in 22 years I'll show the last time they won and it was with Henson at the helm. Look at the throw at the 8:08 mark, Jesus there aren't 3 QBs in the NFL now that could make that throw as difficult as that look that effortlessly. Threw it 40 yards downfield from the opposite hashmark to the other sideline on a freaking string effortlessly, probably covered near 60 yards on that throw and did it with a flick of the wrist. 

Edited by RandyMarsh

54 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Threw it 40 yards downfield from the opposite hashmark to the other sideline on a freaking string effortlessly, probably covered near 60 yards on that throw and did it with a flick of the wrist. 

Yup. The only comp I ever thought was close for Henson's pure throwing ability was John Elway. Unfortunately for Drew, it takes more than the arm to make a successful QB.

1 hour ago, Jason_R said:

Anybody else scratching Stroud off the draft board after today?

I'm certainly beginning to reconsider. I still think Stroud has all the physical tools to be a great QB. He has good vision and accuracy in general and throws a good, accurate mid-range and deep ball. But it seems that any amount of pressure rattles him a good deal and he really gets off his game.

2 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

I'm certainly beginning to reconsider. I still think Stroud has all the physical tools to be a great QB. He has good vision and accuracy in general and throws a good, accurate mid-range and deep ball. But it seems that any amount of pressure rattles him a good deal and he really gets off his game.

So he's basically Jared Goff?

*Ducks*

If we had zero holes I'd be willing to take a chance in the top 5 on Young, Stroud or Levis but since we don't I just don't have enough faith in them to take them over other needs but with that said I would love to have another team fall in love with one of them and trade up for our spot, kinda like the deal Philly got from a SF for Lance. 

40 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

He's more mobile and doesn't turn it over quite as much. He's got 35 TDs to only 4 INTs on the season. He did throw 2 in a big game today though.

well, one was a bad tip by his receiver. There's no doubt he throws really well, gets the right amount of touch and air on his throws, but physical skill isn't what makes great QBs great - it's how they process the game. I'm not a big enough OSU fan (:classic_laugh:) to have watched enough of Stroud to venture any guesses about that.