2023 NFL Draft Thread

Mr.TaterSalad

I don't understand the obsession with drafting a backup QB so high when the starter missed 5 snaps and that was do to blowout wins. Goff has missed 5 games over 6 years. 3 were due to injury, one to COVID, and one to rest after the Rams clinched the division. I also think one of the three games he missed due to injury was just McVay benching him. There's no need to draft a backup QB in the 2nd round. 

14 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

I don't understand the obsession with drafting a backup QB so high when the starter missed 5 snaps and that was do to blowout wins. Goff has missed 5 games over 6 years. 3 were due to injury, one to COVID, and one to rest after the Rams clinched the division. I also think one of the three games he missed due to injury was just McVay benching him. There's no need to draft a backup QB in the 2nd round. 

Yes. If the team is looking for backups, it would be far more important to have them on the OL so Goff can stay upright if one of the big guys breaks a finger or a toe. 

On Holmes’s comments… I would be astonished if they take a QB on day one or two. He can’t tip his hand, as it would be to his benefit if there was a run on QBs before pick 6. But I wouldn’t at all be surprised if Goff celebrates his 35th birthday as Lions QB. 

Just now, Shinzaki said:

Arerest warrant out for Jalen Carter concerning his involvement in a fatal auto accident stemming from a car race gone south

Yikes. There’s the rest of the story. Carter will probably fall, but I don’t see this Lions leadership taking him. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

It's called going to the Super Bowl.

You don't go to the Super Bowl if you have NOTHING behind your starting QB and he gets nicked for a few weeks or in the playoffs.

It's the same reason we need to draft at least a backup RB behind Williams/ Swift...

Those guys are AWESOME!!! "Why do we need a backup RB behind those two awesome guys?" "Can you guarantee that Swift will be healthy for the playoffs next year?" "No."

That's why.

Just now, 1984Echoes said:

It's called going to the Super Bowl.

You don't go to the Super Bowl if you have NOTHING behind your starting QB and he gets nicked for a few weeks or in the playoffs.

It's the same reason we need to draft at least a backup RB behind Williams/ Swift...

Those guys are AWESOME!!! "Why do we need a backup RB behind those two awesome guys?" "Can you guarantee that Swift will be healthy for the playoffs next year?" "No."

That's why.

The backup QB for the Chiefs was Chad Henne and the backup QB for the Eagles was Gardner Minshew. Mahomes got nicked in the playoffs and Henne led them on a 98 yard TD drive. They don't need to draft a backup QB. 

They may beable to cross that bridge when the time comes via trade or FA pickup but I do think they need an upgrade at backup qb if Goff were to ever go down.

I'm talking about a shorter absence like 3-5 weeks not necessarily 10+ week absence cause in that case were probably screwed no matter who we had.

But if it's say 5 weeks Id like to have somebody with the ability to may be win us 2 to 3 games so our division/playoff hopes don't totally go up in flames with any sorta Goff injury. 

• Thanks 1

Also, it's curious they aren't seeking an Involuntary Manslaughter charge based on the facts of the case... If he's guilty of a misdemeanor (racing and/or reckless driving), and in the course of that misdemeanor caused the death of another without intending to do so, that's a mandatory year-long felony. I've seen less get charged more severely.

3 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

Also, it's curious they aren't seeking an Involuntary Manslaughter charge based on the facts of the case... If he's guilty of a misdemeanor (racing and/or reckless driving), and in the course of that misdemeanor caused the death of another without intending to do so, that's a mandatory year-long felony. I've seen less get charged more severely.

Wasn't the other driver who caused the crash and the death? I'm kind of surprised he isn't looking at a longer sentence, especially since it appears he may have lied to police. 

1 minute ago, Motown Bombers said:

Wasn't the other driver who caused the crash and the death? I'm kind of surprised he isn't looking at a longer sentence, especially since it appears he may have lied to police. 

I don't know enough about Georgia laws and politics of the prosecutor's offices to say for sure, but most common law criminal codes use a but-for causation test.

For instance, if the prosecutor could show that but-for Jalen Carter racing and recklessly driving, the driver and passenger of the other car would not have died, then there is a causal showing of Involuntary Manslaughter.

I also agree that there are potential charges of the Georgia equivalent to Leaving the Scene of an Accident, Failure to Report an Accident, Making a False Statement to Police, etc... But the Involuntary Manslaughter possibility sticks out to me. I'm sure that similar instances have resulted in more severe charges before.

Remember, the Lions drafted Reggie Rogers, who drove drunk and killed 3 kids.   I know that was over 30 years ago, but I think that might be a factor in avoiding someone who did this. 

And yeah, the story got buried.   The SEC........it just means more.    

Drunk driving where a death is invovled and a misdemeanor ? 

You know what?  I want to propose a ban of all drunk driving PSAs.   Those PSAs are full of shit.   How many people get multiple drunk driving arrests and still are out there?      Those PSAs are meaningless.     

And is it me, or is drinking because a much bigger problem in the last 10 years?

if the lions draft a qb at #6 or #18 its not to "draft a backup," its to draft a future starter.  he may be a backup (or third string) this year, but its with an eye to the future.  

on that note, if richardson plays for ohio state or texas tech (like mahomes did) is he putting up similar numbers in those qb friendly systems?  i dont know enough to know.

• Like 1

Just now, Motor City Sonics said:

Remember, the Lions drafted Reggie Rogers, who drove drunk and killed 3 kids.   I know that was over 30 years ago, but I think that might be a factor in avoiding someone who did this. 

And yeah, the story got buried.   The SEC........it just means more.    

Drunk driving where a death is invovled and a misdemeanor ? 

You know what?  I want to propose a ban of all drunk driving PSAs.   Those PSAs are full of shit.   How many people get multiple drunk driving arrests and still are out there?      Those PSAs are meaningless.     

And is it me, or is drinking because a much bigger problem in the last 10 years?

its you.  if anything, different types of drugs have become issues, but drinking has ALWAYS been an issue.