2023 NFL Draft Thread

Mr.TaterSalad

39 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

It sounds like he changed his story several times too. How much does this defer from the Henry Ruggs situation if Carter was indeed driving intoxicated and drag racing and that drag race caused the fatality?

ruggs was driving the car, right?

Just now, Motor City Sonics said:

But it seems to me that while it's always been an issue, that drinking to excess is far more common now,  overdoing it is more common.    

i dont think so.  i think you hear about it more often because of social media.

My dad had 5 DUI's by 1980. He lost his license in Michigan, went to Minnesota and got a license using a relative's address, lost that license and went down to Florida and got another license. He worked at a Chevy dealership during the muscle car era and would take customer's cars and drag race them. Drinking and driving has been going on since cars and alchohol were invented. My dad was able to get away with it for so long because they didn't have the systems we have today to track when people have their license suspended. 

1 hour ago, Motown Bombers said:

The backup QB for the Chiefs was Chad Henne and the backup QB for the Eagles was Gardner Minshew. Mahomes got nicked in the playoffs and Henne led them on a 98 yard TD drive. They don't need to draft a backup QB. 

If Holmes drafts Hooker...

I guess you will be proven otherwise.

1 hour ago, Motown Bombers said:

The backup QB for the Chiefs was Chad Henne and the backup QB for the Eagles was Gardner Minshew. Mahomes got nicked in the playoffs and Henne led them on a 98 yard TD drive. They don't need to draft a backup QB. 

PS: So your answer is...

Luck?

... in avoiding the injury bug...? Great response.

1 hour ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I don't know enough about Georgia laws and politics of the prosecutor's offices to say for sure, but most common law criminal codes use a but-for causation test.

For instance, if the prosecutor could show that but-for Jalen Carter racing and recklessly driving, the driver and passenger of the other car would not have died, then there is a causal showing of Involuntary Manslaughter.

I also agree that there are potential charges of the Georgia equivalent to Leaving the Scene of an Accident, Failure to Report an Accident, Making a False Statement to Police, etc... But the Involuntary Manslaughter possibility sticks out to me. I'm sure that similar instances have resulted in more severe charges before.

You would have to prove that Carter's behavior led to the crash. Simple racing isn't enough. Especailly when Carter didn't wreck and the other guy was three times the legal limit. 

Edited by KL2

13 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

PS: So your answer is...

Luck?

... in avoiding the injury bug...? Great response.

Who needs luck when you have a top-tier OL, a QB who gets the ball out quick, and an OC who can scheme guys into five yards of separation from coverage? 

23 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Is Hooker even going to be ready by the start of the season? You would be drafting a backup QB who has more of an injury history than your starter. You would still need to go out and get a backup. 

I think I would want a vet backup if I got Richardson too. If I took either Richardson or Hooker, I think I would announce shortly thereafter that they’ll be a redshirt in 2023 behind both Goff and a veteran backup. Don’t even let the calls for putting the rookie in surface by dressing them.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I think I would want a vet backup if I got Richardson too. If I took either Richardson or Hooker, I think I would announce shortly thereafter that they’ll be a redshirt in 2023 behind both Goff and a veteran backup. Don’t even let the calls for putting the rookie in surface by dressing them.

Perfect.

2 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

Yeah no way this management drafts him now even if he does fall to us. Would go against everything they have preached and built the last couple years. 

"No Turds Allowed". I'm 99% sure that Carter is now off the Lions board.

6 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

If I were Goff and they drafted a QB in the 1st round, I would ask for a trade. 

1 hour ago, KL2 said:

You would have to prove that Carter's behavior led to the crash. Simple racing isn't enough. Especailly when Carter didn't wreck and the other guy was three times the legal limit. 

There was no other guy.   She was the one he was racing.