2023 NFL Draft Thread

Mr.TaterSalad

3 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

Let’s keep an eye on Bresee this week.  He says he’s finally fully healthy and ready to put on a show.   A big combine will put him in play for the Lions.   I also saw that Murphy says he expects to run 4.55 at 6’5 275. 

I don’t think I’m interested in Bresee before the 2nd/3rd round but I’d be very interested there. He’s got the ceiling to be at a Jalen Carter. He’s just got a very large bust potential too.

26 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I think Skoronski would make a lot of sense if you don’t love the defensive players there. Immediate plug and play at guard and can move to RT when you move on from Decker. I think it would be a contender for the best offensive line in the NFL, if they can freaking stay healthy.

Remember...

At this point in time...

Vatai is still on the team.

4 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I don’t think I’m interested in Bresee before the 2nd/3rd round but I’d be very interested there. He’s got the ceiling to be at a Jalen Carter. He’s just got a very large bust potential too.

The biggest issue with Bresee will be his medicals.

Health might be his biggest bust potential... but lack of development is also in there as well...

Even if his medicals are good, I'm with you... I don't want to consider him until he's available at one of our 2nd round picks (I don't even want to trade up for him...).

Just now, MichiganCardinal said:

I think he’ll be on the team through April and they’ll decide after the draft what to do with him. A guard in the first three rounds means he’s out. Otherwise crossing our fingers that the back is healed.

I would say that might be true if it's a 1st rounder...

But if it's beyond that.. I think they'll let that play out in training camp before making an opening season roster decision... injury possibilities or slow development and all that...

Or they could just dump him and sign a FA guard to back up the draftee... What do I know...?

16 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

Let’s keep an eye on Bresee this week.  He says he’s finally fully healthy and ready to put on a show.   A big combine will put him in play for the Lions.   I also saw that Murphy says he expects to run 4.55 at 6’5 275. 

If he passes the eye test (Murphy), and not just combine numbers but also on film, and Holmes thinks he's the guy...

I'm on board with that.

3 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

But if it's beyond that.. I think they'll let that play out in training camp before making an opening season roster decision... injury possibilities or slow development and all that...

Or they could just dump him and sign a FA guard to back up the draftee... What do I know...?

Could be. He’s a $9.5MM cap savings with a post 6/1 cut, so it would likely depend on how much the regime loves the pick and how much they need the money.

8 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

I don’t see anyway that Vaitai is on the team with a $12m cap hit.  If he’s willing to work with them to lower the number then maybe he stays.  If not, they will cut him and let him test the market for himself.  Either way, this will all get resolved well before training camp.  

22 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

When the season started he was viewed as a potential top 10 pick.  The injuries hurt his season pushed him down into that 2nd range.  If he throws down at the combine and shows off his insane physical skills along with a clean medical that could push him right back into that top 10 discussion. He needs a great week for sure but he’s capable.  Freakish ability 

I know the popular pick by many outsiders is us taking a corner at 6 but I'm skeptical of it. It's obviously a huge need but looking at the depth there with so many having 1st round projections I could see Holmes waiting to 18 to grab one. The only exception would be if they do have a clear cut guy that they want and feel that he is better than the rest. 

3 hours ago, 1984Echoes said:

At first glance, I would say NO!

I don't see anything exceptional in this group of QB's that says "must trade up to get him". And other "QB-loaded" drafts have come and gone with teams still finding their guy at picks 7 to 14-ish or so (going on fawlty memory...). 

So maybe nothing happens.

The only hope, IMO, is team desperation that overrides common sense and plops a trade-down plus extra picks into our laps.

Can we count on 1 of the Raiders, Falcons, or Panthers for that...? (it only takes one).

Hoping someone falls in love with Richardson.

46 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

I know the popular pick by many outsiders is us taking a corner at 6 but I'm skeptical of it. It's obviously a huge need but looking at the depth there with so many having 1st round projections I could see Holmes waiting to 18 to grab one. The only exception would be if they do have a clear cut guy that they want and feel that he is better than the rest. 

Yes, it doesn’t seem like there is a CB worthy of a 6. Maybe someone blows up the combine and that changes. 

There is no clear hierarchy to the DL prospects, beyond the top two. Ideally Holmes finds us a game wrecker there but it seems like all of the scouting reports have some kind of asterisk. (Which is why I wouldn’t be surprised to see them go with the guard/future RT.)

Regardless if there is any legit interest it plays into the Lions hands to atleast put the thought in other teams heads that they may go qb. That way a team behind us may feel the need to trade up and jump us to get a qb which would open the door for another non qb prospect falling to us. 

I don’t think I want anything to do with Carter. Story comes out about character concerns, he goes drag racing the next month that results in a teammate’s death, lies to police about it, gets charged with only misdemeanors, and instead of showing remorse and learning, he doubles down and claims that he’s going to be “fully exonerated”?

I don’t see anyway that this guy’s behavior improves when he receives a fat NFL paycheck.

26 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I don’t think I want anything to do with Carter. Story comes out about character concerns, he goes drag racing the next month that results in a teammate’s death, lies to police about it, gets charged with only misdemeanors, and instead of showing remorse and learning, he doubles down and claims that he’s going to be “fully exonerated”?

I don’t see anyway that this guy’s behavior improves when he receives a fat NFL paycheck.

he's 21 years old.  people make mistakes when theyre that age.

from a football standpoint, there were rumblings before this about his lack of motivation to play.  that would be a bigger concern to me than a one time act that ended with horrible consequences.  we dont know him, this could be a catalyst to some self reflection moving forward.

1 minute ago, buddha said:

he's 21 years old.  people make mistakes when theyre that age.

from a football standpoint, there were rumblings before this about his lack of motivation to play.  that would be a bigger concern to me than a one time act that ended with horrible consequences.  we dont know him, this could be a catalyst to some self reflection moving forward.

For me, it all seems to go to a lack of maturity, both football maturity and emotional maturity. When you’re drafting someone in the first round, there is an expectation that they be a face to your franchise and a leader in the locker room. I remember the scene from Hard Knocks when Hutch got up and announced his insane signing bonus and then danced to Billy Jean. I can’t imagine that kind of situation would go great if it’s Jalen Carter announcing his insane bonus and then not showing to a voluntary workout.

When McShay came out with that story, Carter had four months to refute it. During which he could have sat on his ass and done nothing and seen no hit to his stock. Instead, this happens. And then rather than showing contrition and admitting it was a stupid mistake that he made in celebration of a National Championship, he doubled down and showed that he’s not learning anything.

If he can’t go four months, I don’t trust him to go 4-5 years through a large rookie contract. I’m for giving kids second chances. I’m not for giving them large checks to be the face of the franchise.

37 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I don't know yet where I fully fall on the Carter situation. On one hand, he deserves innocent until proven guilty if indeed he is charged with a crime and it is taken to trial. The court of public opinion shouldn't be judge and jury. That said, his changing story and the fact that someone died as a result of alleged reckless behavior he was involved in is very troubling. Convicted or not, someone is probably drafting him and doing so in the 1st round. I am not sure if I want it to be the Lions or not yet.

If the Ray Lewis story had happened when he was in college at Miami would you have passed on Lewis in the draft?