2023 NFL Draft Thread

Mr.TaterSalad

6 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

I don't know yet where I fully fall on the Carter situation. On one hand, he deserves innocent until proven guilty if indeed he is charged with a crime and it is taken to trial. The court of public opinion shouldn't be judge and jury. That said, his changing story and the fact that someone died as a result of alleged reckless behavior he was involved in is very troubling. Convicted or not, someone is probably drafting him and doing so in the 1st round. I am not sure if I want it to be the Lions or not yet.

If the Ray Lewis story had happened when he was in college at Miami would you have passed on Lewis in the draft?

No I wouldn't have at the time. Ray Lewis was a late 1st round pick. It's not like he was even considered a top tier talent at the time of the draft. 

10 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

I don't know yet where I fully fall on the Carter situation. On one hand, he deserves innocent until proven guilty if indeed he is charged with a crime and it is taken to trial. The court of public opinion shouldn't be judge and jury. That said, his changing story and the fact that someone died as a result of alleged reckless behavior he was involved in is very troubling. Convicted or not, someone is probably drafting him and doing so in the 1st round. I am not sure if I want it to be the Lions or not yet.

If the Ray Lewis story had happened when he was in college at Miami would you have passed on Lewis in the draft?

He should have his day in court, but these details are bad even notwithstanding charges. There’s being guilty of misdemeanor reckless driving, and there is being guilty of making a stupid decision three months before the biggest day of your life. As of now, I’m fine with the Raiders taking him at #7 and letting them take that gamble.

Regarding Lewis, I think it’s hard to compare, because the crimes/conduct is so different. I would not want Lewis because I don’t like him as a person. I had a really hard time when the Lions signed child abuser Adrian Peterson. I didn’t like him and still don’t like him as a human being. At all. So no, I wouldn’t want them to draft Lewis, or Peterson, but because they’re scum, not because I don’t trust them. I have nothing against Carter personally, I think he’s just immature, makes stupid mistakes, and is not a guy I trust being a high pick for my team.

19 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

... nothing against Carter personally, I think he’s just immature, makes stupid mistakes, and is not a guy I trust being a high pick for my team.

This I believe will be the deciding point for the Lions.

If he's only guilty of misdemeanors, and nothing else, he'll get his second chance, or actually first, in the NFL. As he should.

But I think Holmes/ Campbell/ Ford firmly believe each of their players have character, integrity, be a leader, and have a serious love for the game. 

Maybe not every single player hits every one of those traits. But, at least on the surface, it appears that Carter is showing a serious lack of judgement, of character, and of integrity. And a "pattern" to that, which makes it even worse. Add that to a lack of commitment to the team/ football (if that is true) and it's an absolute that he is being removed from the Lions' Board.

They still need to research all of that. But, again, from appearances sake... It looks like he has removed himself from the Lions' Draft Board, 2023. Based on multiple issues... and not necessarily those misdemeanors in and of themselves.

Edited by 1984Echoes
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

If Johnson was still there somehow when the Lions are drafting at #18 and they drafted him I wouldn't be entirely stunned. There are more shocking things they could do than take Johnson at #18. If they wanted to created a three-headed monster at receiver, similar to trading for Tee Higgins, drafting Johnson is one potential way to do it.

I would not be surprised at all if one of the two 1st round picks is an offensive player. I'm coming around to Bijan Robinson. If they are committed to Goff, Goff is at his best with a strong running game that he can play action pass off of. Swift is in the final year of his contract. Williams is a free agent. I like the move if he truly is the dynamic dual threat running and receiving back. 

6 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

I would not be surprised at all if one of the two 1st round picks is an offensive player. I'm coming around to Bijan Robinson. If they are committed to Goff, Goff is at his best with a strong running game that he can play action pass off of. Swift is in the final year of his contract. Williams is a free agent. I like the move if he truly is the dynamic dual threat running and receiving back. 

If he's truly an every down back, he lights up the combine, and he is there at 18, well, 🤷‍♂️.

10 hours ago, Jason_R said:

If he's truly an every down back, he lights up the combine, and he is there at 18, well, 🤷‍♂️.

The Lions may shock us and take him at 6.

I'm just trying to read the tea leaves/ coach/GM speak that's floating around. They want supremely talented players and they don't care what anybody else thinks about what they are doing.

I'm not going to stress. There's more than one way to pick up defensive players so... 

We'll just have to live with whatever they come up with. I'm steeling myself to not be surprised by ANYTHING that Holmes decides to do... in the way of player acquisition.

2 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

Noah Sewell ran 4.72.  Not good.  Everything else was good but not exceptional.  Looks like he’s gonna be 3rd round at best and most likely day 3.   Bad for him and good for the Lions.  

I don't want a slow, run-plugging LB'er. We have those. I want a fast and furious safety/LB'er type of hybrid coverage LB'er - Simpson/ Henley? - that can cover LB'ers and RB's and run sideline-to-sideline making 30 tackles and 2 INT's/ game...

Well, that might be exaggerating it a bit.

But just a little.

Of course all things being equal I want the faster guy but I think inside LB like FS is heavily dependent on instincts and in turn jumps you get instead of raw athleticism/speed which is why you see older guys still excel at those positions. 

Edited by RandyMarsh