2023 NFL Draft Thread

Mr.TaterSalad

I'm skeptical it would happen unless he drops big time but one good thing about drafting Hooker is that atleast next year we wouldn't have to worry about hearing hosts/callers on the radio or forum/social media posts clamoring for Goff to be replaced if/when he has a bad game like I'm sure would happen if we were to draft one of the other QBs. 

Nick Baumgartner of The Athletic put out a new 3 round mock yesterday and he has us taking Will Anderson at 3(gave up 6 and 48), Bijan at 18, Hooker at 55 and Denton at 81. 

Like a couple other mocks I've seen I question the low cost they have for trading up but if that is indeed all it takes I think they'd be crazy not to unless of course they just don't value Anderson or anybody else that much more than other guys.

I would love the Bijan pick at 18 in general but in his scenario of us not only giving up a 2nd but using the other one on Hooker makes me not like it as much since those are 2 picks we can't use on more pressing needs like DB and LB.

Love Denton at 81 but don't think he's going to be there that late. 

11 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Nick Baumgartner of The Athletic put out a new 3 round mock yesterday and he has us taking Will Anderson at 3(gave up 6 and 48), Bijan at 18, Hooker at 55 and Denton at 81. 

Like a couple other mocks I've seen I question the low cost they have for trading up but if that is indeed all it takes I think they'd be crazy not to unless of course they just don't value Anderson or anybody else that much more than other guys.

I would love the Bijan pick at 18 in general but in his scenario of us not only giving up a 2nd but using the other one on Hooker makes me not like it as much since those are 2 picks we can't use on more pressing needs like DB and LB.

Love Denton at 81 but don't think he's going to be there that late. 

I saw that too. I'd love for that draft to happen for us though. Usually rounds 4-7 are almost always complete crapshoots anyways. If we walked away with Anderson, Bijan, Hooker and Denton.... That'd be a solid draft. Heck just Anderson and Bijan would be a great draft in and of itself. 

I saw that draft. I don’t buy it at all. It will be very expensive to trade up to 3. I don’t see them drafting a QB (and don’t want them to). Mock drafters are obsessed with Detroit drafting a TE, as if the only thing they know about the team is that Hockenson got traded. I thought it was a bad mock all the way around. 

28 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

I have a hard time believing we get the third pick from Arizona without giving up #18. If I were Arizona I wouldn't do it without getting #18 back out at minimum both seconds from Detroit.

Depends on what their other offers are. I think there is an assumption that the Colts, Raiders, and Titans want it, but the demand might not be there.

1 hour ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

I have a hard time believing we get the third pick from Arizona without giving up #18. If I were Arizona I wouldn't do it without getting #18 back out at minimum both seconds from Detroit.

there is no way the lions should give up 18 and 6 for 3.  none.  that is highway robbery.

• Like 2

On 4/6/2023 at 6:05 PM, RandyMarsh said:

It's hard to trust these mock draft deals are but I saw one today that had TN moving up to 3 by giving up 11, a 2nd and a 4th. I know the Lions don't have a 4th this year but if we could get to 3 for something similar I would do that in a heartbeat for Anderson. You'd get arguably the best player in the draft and still have another 1st and 2nd to address positions of needs. 

That seems like way to little of a return for moving up to #3.

On 4/8/2023 at 7:08 PM, Mr.TaterSalad said:

They aren’t getting two first round picks this year for the 3.  No way.  Swapping the 6 and 3, a second rounder this year and next would be the most I would pay. 

1 minute ago, TP_Fan said:

They aren’t getting two first round picks this year for the 3.  No way.  Swapping the 6 and 3, a second rounder this year and next would be the most I would pay. 

In 2016 the Browns traded the 2nd overall pick (Carson Wentz) and a conditional 5th round pick to the Eagles for the 8th overall pick, as well as 3rd and 4th round picks in 2016 a first-round pick in 2017, and a second-round pick in 2018.

So to move up from 8 to 2 the Eagles had to give up their current first, a future first, a third, a fourth, and a future second. The Lions aren't giving up much less to move up to 3 I don't think.

8 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

If Young or Stroud are there at 3, some team will pay a QB premium price to Az to move up. Heck, maybe if a team is all in on Richardson, the same thing could happen. It won't be cheap.

Agreed, a QB still being available will drive the price way up, as it did in 2016 when the Eagles went after Wentz and traded with the Browns.

2 hours ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I would be surprised if the Lions *weren’t* one of those teams.

I don’t think the Cardinals are mulling anything. They’re holding out to draft day and hoping the price increases.

youre going to be so excited when the lions trade up to 3 and so upset when they take anthony richardson.

• Haha 1

I am asking this question as a former, long time Matt Stafford hater and someone who wanted the new, shinier, cheaper, rookie QB in here for the longest time. Now, I don't and am prepared to keep Jared Goff as our QB for the future. But what is the logic for drafting Anthony Richardson over another player that could start right away, and moving on from Goff? Is it solely based on he can run and has higher athletic upside that Goff? Does his running ability make him more appealing than a guy whose played like a top 7-8 QB in the league the past year and a half? If Richardson were a great pocket passer instead, but didn't have the athletic upside, would the pro-Richardson crowd still be interested in him then?

I spent the better part of 4 years from 2017 through 2020 wanting to run Stafford out of town, only to watch him win a Super Bowl the very next year. For those that want Goff gone and Richardson in, isn't that enough of a lesson learned?

If we stayed at 6 and took Richardson I wouldn't like it nor agree with it but I could see the rationale that it may be worth taking a chance on him since the talent level available at 6 this year is so so in regards to what you normally would expect there. Not to mention you also have 18th pick and multiple 2nds this year to fill other needs so again this year may be the year to take a swing for the fences.

OTOH if you trade up for him you are likely giving up atleast 1 of those next 3 picks to fill other needs that I talked about and passing on a guy in Anderson who most people feel is actually a premium talent that would be worthy of a top 3 pick in just about any draft. So yeah I would be pretty upset if they traded up to 3 only to take Richardson. 

13 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

I am asking this question as a former, long time Matt Stafford hater and someone who wanted the new, shinier, cheaper, rookie QB in here for the longest time. Now, I don't and am prepared to keep Jared Goff as our QB for the future. But what is the logic for drafting Anthony Richardson over another player that could start right away, and moving on from Goff? Is it solely based on he can run and has higher athletic upside that Goff? Does his running ability make him more appealing than a guy whose played like a top 7-8 QB in the league the past year and a half? If Richardson were a great pocket passer instead, but didn't have the athletic upside, would the pro-Richardson crowd still be interested in him then?

I spent the better part of 4 years from 2017 through 2020 wanting to run Stafford out of town, only to watch him win a Super Bowl the very next year. For those that want Goff gone and Richardson in, isn't that enough of a lesson learned?

Goff has an optics problem. The way he departed the Rams he had a lot of labels and some people made up their mind in 2021 on Goff. No way there would be a pro Richardson crowd if he didn't have all the athletic measurables. I would love to see the person who would be a pro 53% pocket passer. 

32 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

because richardson is the best athlete (athletic score wise) at qb in the history of the nfl.  his ceiling is 2019 lamar jackson in a league that is turning more to running qbs, and a team that is built on running the ball.  the lions likely wont be picking this high (or have the chance to trade up as cheaply) as this year, and if you are going to draft this high you need to swing for the fences on a player with the highest upside, and that player is anthony richardson because of his athletic ability and his position.

there are plenty of downsides too, but that's the argument for making the pick.